Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am thinking of making a bottom of a 2000GTV airbox bigger, so I can run trumpets. The angeled part at the rear prevents fitting a nice trumpet. I would need to know how much space is left between the bodywork/fender and the airbox bottom. As my car ist in pieces (I am sorry), I can not check.

Does anyone have pictures or reproducable measurements for me? For example the distances between the outside of the carb. flanges (sealing faces, measured at the 4 bottom boltholes) and the inner fender?

Thanks
Christian

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hello everyone,

I am thinking of making a bottom of a 2000GTV airbox bigger, so I can run trumpets. The angeled part at the rear prevents fitting a nice trumpet. I would need to know how much space is left between the bodywork/fender and the airbox bottom. As my car ist in pieces (I am sorry), I can not check.

Does anyone have pictures or reproducable measurements for me? For example the distances between the outside of the carb. flanges (sealing faces, measured at the 4 bottom boltholes) and the inner fender?

Thanks
Christian
Christian
It’s cylinder 4 that’s the issue it’s very close to the inner fender, I managed to fit 20mm spacers between carbs and airbox and fitted stubby trumpets to the airbox, it’s not just lowering the airbox which I think is what your suggesting there just is no room in front of intake for a significant increase, if your brave I believe it’s possible to get a set of the curved trumpets to fit in the airbox on the other hand look for this topic with post from Alfar 7 he simply opens up the holes and tapers the the carbs to match

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually I would want to straighten the angeled edges of the box (red) and set the bottom lower (green), without changing the flange for the filter housing. On pictures sourced from the internet it looks like there is some room left. But as I can not find a picture right from the front, I am not sure.

Curved trumpets is an option.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the 1600 GTA airbox, there is room for "internal" nuts for the trumpets, so the bottom of that box needs to be lower than 2000GTV. Taking into account that the 2000 engine block is higher because of the bigger stroke, there should also be some additional room compared to a 1600 GTA.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Actually I would want to straighten the angeled edges of the box (red) and set the bottom lower (green), without changing the flange for the filter housing. On pictures sourced from the internet it looks like there is some room left. But as I can not find a picture right from the front, I am not sure.

Curved trumpets is an option.
Tightest spot on a 1600 is where the red and green meet in the right bottom corner, with a 20mm spacer between box and carb at that point I can’t get my fingers in the gap between box and the inner wing the gap gets wider as you run towards cylinder 4
If you can weld aluminium it’s probably easiest to cut away the area in front of the intakes then fit the trumpets and see what’s possible, fitting a spacer under carb side engine mount gives a little more room it does not take much to gain some much needed clearance, remember you should be aiming for the trumpet diameter in clear space in front of the trumpet mouth
Again this is a lot of work that won’t give much if you listen to Alfar7 and mod the carbs and box,but you may have other reasons to do it or just want to do it it’s all fine
Details here (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1963-1977/510161-45s-air-intake.html)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts