Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1972 Spider
Working on mounting an airbox, and need some method to hold it to the plenum.
I think I have seen people using long wrap-around bands, but it must be a pain to remove those when needing to replace the air filter.

What are some other local-hardware store options?

airbox bands.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts
I'd search for a used set, they are around, I think the Disney approach aka Mickey Mouse will be a nightmare and aesthetically look hokey, just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, I just checked Lowes, knowing SOMEONE had to have quick release straps that are not ridiculously priced. $21 per strap is almost unconscionable for the purpose it serves and for a car that isn't worth over $8-10K, nyet?

Lowes has a pair of quick-release, adjustable duct clamps for $5 that clamp up to 12" diameter ducting (therefore prob measure about 14" I'm thinking.

I would NOT use them to to wrap totally around the plenum + box, but instead cut the end off about 5", loop that one end through one of the original clamp slots in the plenum so that the end folds back onto itself (and therefore held in place not only by the fold in the strap, but by the pressure of the outer strap upon it.
Similarly, loop the other cut end through the opposite plenum slot and back upon itself. Then join the free ends over the top of the filter box, screw together and tighten.
To release, just flip the screw up (quick release).
Might have to be slightly longer than 12", but I'll get a pair and try it out.
Addendum: Actually, when I measured the partial circumference from hook's slot over the top of the air box, to opposite side hook-slot, it was 12". Leaving 3" overlap of the strap at each hook-slot, plus about 2" for the screw to fasten, that should mean about a 20" strap.

Lowes 2 for 5 quik-release 14in clamps.jpg

·
Premium Member
22,804 Posts
I think you can get them new still. I have also used long hose clamps, cut to fit with a 180* bend on the end. You have to be careful tightening those down so you don't pull off the bend.
Andrew

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you can get them new still. I have also used long hose clamps, cut to fit with a 180* bend on the end. You have to be careful tightening those down so you don't pull off the bend.
Andrew
Good point

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Actually, I just checked Lowes, knowing SOMEONE had to have quick release straps that are not ridiculously priced. $21 per strap is almost unconscionable for the purpose it serves and for a car that isn't worth over $8-10K, nyet?

Lowes has a pair of quick-release, adjustable duct clamps for $5 that clamp up to 12" diameter ducting (therefore prob measure about 14" I'm thinking.

I would NOT use them to to wrap totally around the plenum + box, but instead cut the end off about 5", loop that one end through one of the original clamp slots in the plenum so that the end folds back onto itself (and therefore held in place not only by the fold in the strap, but by the pressure of the outer strap upon it.
Similarly, loop the other cut end through the opposite plenum slot and back upon itself. Then join the free ends over the top of the filter box, screw together and tighten.
To release, just flip the screw up (quick release).
Might have to be slightly longer than 12", but I'll get a pair and try it out.
Addendum: Actually, when I measured the partial circumference from hook's slot over the top of the air box, to opposite side hook-slot, it was 12". Leaving 3" overlap of the strap at each hook-slot, plus about 2" for the screw to fasten, that should mean about a 20" strap.

View attachment 1668708
At one time, before the internet and vendors like Classic Alfas, we had little choice but to come up with Mickey mouse solutions to such problems. Not now however. The good news is the use of MM solutions today will keep the value of a few Alfas in the 8 to 10 K range.

Ken

·
Registered
416 Posts
Wonder if you could modify a couple of those straps that are used on sereis 2 spiders at the shifter tunnel area?

·
Registered
142 Posts
The new replacement straps are sort of expensive. I ordered the straps, gaskets, breather hose from Classic Alfa, and the carb support from Centerline to finally get rid of the rigged air filters on my Webers.

Now, when I look under the hood, everything looks and functions properly. The cost is quickly forgotten.

It would be a different story if the replacement parts were NLA or hundreds of dollars (like my old BMW parts). I

·
Push hard and live
10,906 Posts
When I consider buying an Alfa, I’m always prepared to pay top dollar for a car that has been well treated, and I walk away from ones that have been abused. Finding “hardware store” bits under the hood tells me all I need to know about the owner’s tendencies, with a high likelihood that “cheap at any cost” will have led decisions throughout the car. Such economies will reduce the future sale value by more than they saved you.

Reactions: kengta

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Please don't pinch pennies on the brakes or steering.
Osso -- a little bit of a leap to assume that I would "pinch pennies" on actual safety and performance items.
OTOH, $42 for these bands ($21 each, IIRC) is undeniably extravagant -- afterall, even a bungee cord or a retaining band would be sufficient (and safe) on an airbox.

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
13,166 Posts
I don't really care about the performance items. It's the stopping and steering that most concerns me.

Your first comment on what Classic Alfa charges for the straps was:

This comment really set me off. I don't think it's really all that fair to make a comment about the pricing of a part that is not so readily available and hasn't been produced in decades. It's not expensive relative to what others sell this piece for. Your comment is as equally assumptive as mine.

Given that the straps are more of a bespoke item these days, $21 is pretty inexpensive. Back when Alfa was making these cars, the straps were produced by the hundreds of thousands.

Anyway, onward and upward. I hope you figure out something that works well for the air cleaner.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't really care about the performance items. It's the stopping and steering that most concerns me.

Your first comment on what Classic Alfa charges for the straps was:

This comment really set me off. I don't think it's really all that fair to make a comment about the pricing of a part that is not so readily available and hasn't been produced in decades. It's not expensive relative to what others sell this piece for. Your comment is as equally assumptive as mine.

Given that the straps are more of a bespoke item these days, $21 is pretty inexpensive. Back when Alfa was making these cars, the straps were produced by the hundreds of thousands.

Anyway, onward and upward. I hope you figure out something that works well for the air cleaner.
Hah - well, this deserves equal time for a suitable reply.
Luckily we're in the good old USA where we can openly express opinions -- mine being, what really sets ME off is when people make remarks clearly attempting to denegrate my character by using words such as "cheap and mickey mouse" etc., rather than offering ideas addressing the topic that I posted: A functional alternate to the undeniably exorbitant ones sold in the catalog.

I don't have stock in the company, have no desire to show they are worthy, and I don't care WHY they charge so much -- I just want a solution that doesn't make me their fool. However, your money, your car, so let me have my money and my car.

The good thing about this forum has been that contributors in general tend to provide innovative ideas and solutions, not non-contributory and personally poignant remarks of the gist "just go buy one from the store and shut up".

But, as you say, ONWARD AND UPWARD. We both work on our cars and our philosophies diverge, which makes us humans.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,450 Posts
Well, you've got two options: you can spend the $42 and be thankful brand new parts are available for your 50-year-old Alfa at a rather reasonable price. Or you can MacGyver something with hardware store straps and bungie cords that looks like crap and is a PITA every time you have to deal with it, but saves you maybe 20-30 bucks.

You go with option 2 you're probably going to have to figure something out on your own, since (as you can see from the responses you've gotten) most folks here would just go with option 1. Do it right and buy once, cry once is always my suggestion for classic cars: it's not a hobby for people who want low cost-of-ownership.

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts
@Gubi, my father always said, “do it right the first time”, which is sage advice. With that said, I still take the cheap way out on occasion, and ultimately end up going with the original more expensive option. Every time I hear his voice and lament the cheap way out was more expensive. Just my two cents...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, let me make it even more clear: anyone suggest an inexpensive functional, and adequately presentable alternative to the commercial source?

·
Push hard and live
10,906 Posts
I deny it is exorbitant.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,450 Posts
I deny it is exorbitant.
Yeah, I mean, the reason you're getting the answers you are, Stasha, is that most of us are like, "Wow! I can get newly manufactured airbox straps for my '70s alfa, and they're only $42???"

1 - 20 of 37 Posts