Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Please note that the Campini-Caproni did not use an ALFA engine to drive its compressor the engine that was used was an Isotta -Fraschini unit, the qoute is in error ,I believe this was corrected in a previous posting.

What Campini did in his thermojet was place a piston engine within an enclosed duct. The mechanical energy of this engine was used to turn three propellers placed behind the engine. Two of these ducted propellers were used to compress the incoming air while the third helped to direct the flow and minimize turbulence within the engine. This compressed air was mixed with fuel by means of a ring of kerosene injectors in the aft portion of the duct. The mixture was then combusted and exhausted out of the nozzle at high speed to produce thrust. Conceptually, the engine can almost be thought of as adding an afterburner to a piston-powered propeller engine.

·
Premium Member
21,131 Posts
Some discussion of Fiat engines here on the Aircraft Engine Historical Society, but I don't offhand see any Alfa engines. Great site though.

Italian

Andrew

·
Registered
122 Posts
Maner Lualdi Artic flight.

In a previous post #42 I referred to the Maner Lualdi Artic flight of 1953 in an Alfa Romeo powered aircraft.
I have now posted on YouTube an edited film of the Artic flight . Lualdi undertook this flight as a commemoration of the death of Roald Amundsen ,who lost his life in an attempt to rescue the crew of the airship ITALIA in 1928 .The aircraft is an Ambrosini S.1002 Girfalco fitted with a factory prepared AR 110 of 145h.p. Lualdi and his copilot Max Peroli are seen preparing for the journey in Italy while the support team are shown in their AR Matta ,filling the Matta at a garage and looking at photos of the Italia crew. we follow the team north through Paris ,Brussels , Amsterdam and then Copenhagen and to Oslo and to the north of the country.The initial attempt at takeoff from Bardfoss airport led to damage of the aircraft. Technicians from Milan effected repairs to the plane and as the runway was deemed unsuitable the take off was transferred to Bodo.
The flight took 13 hours and they covered 1,870 miles over the Artic wastes. The flight set off early on the morning of 27th August out over the Barents sea . When they reached the area where Amundsen is deemed to have crashed Lualdi and Peroli dropped a wreath and medals which had been blessed by the Pope. They then returned to Norway in very bad weather conditions and landed at Banak.

see also videos......

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Alfa Romeo 128 bis RC34 restoration

Some very interesting videos on YouTube of the restoration and eventual working of an Alfa Romeo 128 bis RC34 radial engine. There are about 15 videos in total . I post links to a few below...........

Attachments

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Aero engine of 1931/1932 = Tipo D

Here is a promo photo of a "motore per aviazione" that appeared in an Alfa Romeo sponsored calendar printed for 1932. The calendar had a page devoted to each week and there was a bit of two/three-line advertising at the bottom of each page that was a promo for Alfa Romeo. The first pages (from which this image is taken) were devoted to images of Alfa Romeo cars and trucks/buses/etc. exclusively. Each page in the weekly section had a photo of some interesting area of Rome. In fact, the title of the calendar is "Calendario Italiano 1932 - X Roma". The Roman numeral "X" referred to the 10th year of fascist political power. Hence, we can think that each publicity photo was taken probably in 1931 and was advertising (albeit somewhat gently) Alfa Romeo products available in 1932.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Test bed for aero engines as of 1931

Here is a promo photo of a "sala prova motori di aviazione" that appeared in an Alfa Romeo sponsored calendar printed for 1932. The calendar had a page devoted to each week of 1932 and there was a bit of two/three-line advertising at the bottom of each page that was a promo for Alfa Romeo. The first pages (from which this image is taken) were devoted to images of Alfa Romeo cars and trucks/buses/etc. exclusively. Each page in the weekly section had a photo of some interesting area of Rome. In fact, the title of the calendar is "Calendario Italiano 1932 - X Roma". The Roman numeral "X" referred to the 10th year of fascist political power. Hence, we can think that each publicity photo was taken probably in 1931 and was advertising (albeit somewhat gently) Alfa Romeo products available in 1932.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I never told about it here, but i like to remember my grandfather who died on November 14th, 1940 during a bombing mission. He flight on this S.79, 254-1, powered by 3 Alfas 126 with 750CV each.
Awarded on the field with a Silver medal, the third decoration he had in his short career.
He left a young wife and a little daughter, my mom.

Attachments

61 - 67 of 67 Posts