Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have, buses, alfa marine, and how about flying alfas? :) I recall I have read sometime ago an article about Italian WWII bombers and what caught my attention were these:

Savoia-Marchetti SM.79.1 Powered by 9cyl Alfa Romeo 125 RC.35s (680 hp engine) If you have any, other info about airborne serpents, well I guess here is the place where we can learn more about them :)
**** those bombers look good...
Cheers,
Pete

·
Registered
122 Posts
Cant 1018

Please note that the cant z1018 was designed to take the ar 135motor ,however only the prototype was fitted with the Alfa engine .The photo posted above shows the later aircraft fitted with Piaggio motors,
I should have a photo of the AR equipped plane and will post as soon as it is to hand.
Charley

·
Registered
122 Posts
flying Alfas

I think that Pete opened a great thread with this one . I have always been interested in aircraft powered by Ar motors even if these were only one offs.
I thought that I would post photos of some of the more unusual aircraft that flew under Alfa power ,

1. SIAI-Marchetti SM.80 -1- AR built Colombo S.63.
2. Macchi MC.94 -2- AR 126.
3. Macchi c.100 -3 - AR 126
4. SIAI - Marchetti SM.95 a few examples fitted with 4 ar.128.
5 bestetti bn.1 - 2- AR 115.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
flying Alfas

I thought that I could post some more here ,all Caproni aircraft this time.
1. CAPRONI AP.1 - 1-AR 125 RC35.
2. CAPRONI CA.164 - 1-AR115-1-bis
3. CAPRONI CA.97 - 1 -ALFA ROMEO JUPITER.
4. ALFA/CAPRONI A CAPRONI CA.100 FITTED WITH AN ALFA ROMEO AR6c1750 MOTOR .THIS PLANE ACTUALLY CARRIED AN ALFA BADGE ON THE RADIATOR,
5. DETAIL OF ALFA-CAPRONI ENGINE INSTALLATION.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
The Italians built some fantastic stuff. When the Fiat powered Macchi M.C.72 set the world speed record in 1934 the U.S. govt. was so concerned they did a detailed study of its engine and passed it around to all the U.S. manufacturers. It's engine was made by Fiat, but a lot of the design features showed up in later Alfa Romeo automobile engines. I still have that study, it's fascinating reading.

The engine in that biplane appears to be supercharged, that's pretty advanced for the biplane era.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
The Italians built some fantastic stuff. When the Fiat powered Macchi M.C.72 set the world speed record in 1934 the U.S. govt. was so concerned they did a detailed study of its engine and passed it around to all the U.S. manufacturers. It's engine was made by Fiat, but a lot of the design features showed up in later Alfa Romeo automobile engines. I still have that study, it's fascinating reading.

The engine in that biplane appears to be supercharged, that's pretty advanced for the biplane era.

I used to vist Eurotec of New Jersey in the late eighties. Mr Domenic Calassco, formerly cheif mechanic for Alfa Romeo Inc, had some nice photos of the Macchi displayed in the office, as a young man he had work on the record breaking seaplane.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Airborne Alfas

Some more AR powered aircraft........
1 . CANT Z,1010 1-AR 110-1
2 . CAPRONI CA.113 AQ 1- ALFAROMEO PEGASUS ( THIS AIRCRAFT SET A NEW ALTITUDE RECORD FOR PROPELLOR AIRCRAFT ,PILOTED BY RENATO DONATI at 14.433mt 11/4/1934. a womans altitude record was also set by this aircraft by Contess Carina Negrone at12.043mt on 24/6/1935. A later version of this aircraft the CA.164 powered by a Piaggio motor set the record for prop driven aircraft which remains unbeaten to this day.N.B NOTE THE SIZE OF THE PROPELLOR.
3 , CAPRONI CA.114 1- ALFA ROMEO MERCURY 1V 530HP.
2PROTO. 12TO PERU.
4 . CAPRONI CA603 1- ALFA ROMEO AR115.
5 . KAPRONI BULGARSKI KB11-11 (BULGARIA) 1-ALFA ROMEO AR126 RC34

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Airborne Alfas

AND A FEW MORE AR POWERED ODDITIES...
1 . CAPRONI CA.109 1-ALFA ROMEO LYNX I ONLY.
2 . CANT Z.1012 3- ALFA ROMEO AR 115 ( ALSO FITTED WITH AR 110 ENGINES)
3 . DAR 10A (BULGARIA) 1- ALFA ROMEO AR126 RC34, 1 ONLY.
4 . DAR 3-11 ( BULGARIA) 1- ALFA ROMEO AR 126RC34 ..
5 . MAGNI JONA J.6 1- ALFA ROMEO D.2-C30 9cyl 120HP.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Airborne Alfas

I have seen that entry relating to the Campini-Caproni jet (?) powered aircraft ,I believe that it may be in error and that the compressor engine was in fast an Isotta-Fraschini and not an Alfa. There were a couple of prototypes and a static ground test example so of course it is possible that one of these was fitted with an Alfa motor.
Charley

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I see many weird home made planes around the net, and i always liked unconventional thinking. Can the 4-dohc engine of our cars used in a plane?

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have seen that entry relating to the Campini-Caproni jet (?) powered aircraft ,I believe that it may be in error and that the compressor engine was in fast an Isotta-Fraschini and not an Alfa. There were a couple of prototypes and a static ground test example so of course it is possible that one of these was fitted with an Alfa motor.
Charley
The "Asso" engine was in fact an Isotta Fraschini, not an Alfa:

About the Cant Z1018, I thought that the upper air intake was indeed a feature of the AR 135. You seem well documented, thus I stand corrected.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I found this interesting...

"Alfa-Romeo were involved in many engine-related projects at this time, and they were then an independent company, with fairly sophisticated facilities. The company produced nice 6 cyl and V12 engines, unusually of two-stroke operation with vertical exhaust valves in the heads, and inlet through ports in the cylinder walls, fed by a scavenge blower driven off the front of the crankshaft. The engines shared many common components to keep production costs down, with cylinders of 95mm bore and 130mm stroke, giving a displacement of 5.5 litres and 11.00 litres (338 and 677 cu ins) respectively. Power outputs of 110 hp for the straight-six, and up to 350 hp at 1900 rpm for the V12. Interesting construction features included needle roller big ends, wet liners and composite pistons with stainless-steel crowns. The designer is stated as being a Mr Ricart."

www.oldengine.org/.../diesel/Duxford/Aviat5.htm

Attachments

1 - 20 of 67 Posts