Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question

Is it possible to remove the airbag steering wheel on my 91 spider and replace it with another steering wheel? I know the european models didn't have airbags and I like the look of the steering wheel. The reson for the change is the rubber covering the airbag is going bad.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yes its possible...I think www.vickauto.com sells a hub adapter for Nardi wheels and there are also hub adapters for Momo steering wheels.

My airbag system does not work and I look at it as more of a liability myself so I have disconnected it to prevent (hopefully) a misfire at an inopportune point. I have purchased a beautiful wooden Nardi wheel and adapter but have not been able to remove my steering wheel. (basically stripped the stud holes with a puller....another project to complete someday)

If Alfa were still in the US, the airbag system would probably be just like any other system and servicable. Now the price to replace it all after the 10 year point and bring it up to snuff is prohibitive. Let alone documenting the work and possible liability when you sell the car to someone and the bag doesn't work during an accident?

In any case, I think those of us S4 Spider owners kind of walk the line of liability anyway with these old air bag systems no matter what you do with them. A good compromise if you really want to keep the air-bag wheel yet want the "wood-look", there are Miata (blashphemous, I know) shops that will refinish your wheel with leather and wood....the websites look pretty nice actually.

Anyone else have thoughts on this one?

·
Alfa-Less
506 Posts
I too have thought of removing the bag.

However, I suspect that my insurance coverage would be voided if I poked the front of the car and the bag did not inflate. So ... if an accident resulted in medical bills and the bag was shown to be either defective or removed, odds are the $$$ would be my own to bear.

The basic question remains ... why remove it? For looks, the Miata idea sounds like a good compromise. If you have wear problems, you might want to post a search for a replacement wheel from a S4 being parted out.

Still this begs a question ... if AR is out of the country and there are no "local" shops to maintenance the bag system, could one debate the insurance coverage issue?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
airbag

thanks guys

Im not shure what Im going to do as of yet. Is'nt there a special tool needed to remove the steering wheel? I am also 6'5" and a smaller wheel would give me a little more leg room. Thanks for the info I will let you know what I finally do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts