·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
91 164S. Blinking airbag light. Did the diagnostics. Threw codes:

16 - Failure of forward left hand sensor
35 - Open Circuit
36 - Faulty Squib

Checked the connection of the sensor and cleaned and reseated the bolts to ensure a good ground.

Tried to clear codes, but would not clear. All three still there.

Question.

1. Can I switch the right sensor to the left side to try and see if it's truly a bad sensor, or is it in the wiring. Are the left and right interchangable? Is there anyway to test the sensor with specialized test equipment?

2. I reviewed Steve's previous thread on the subject and it sounds to me like the Open Circuit and Faulty Squib could be a bad clockspring connection in the steering wheel, like he had.

If I remove the airbag squib and the top cover of the steering column, can I test the continuity of the clockspring without removing the steering wheel? Is there any special procedure to this (other than making sure the battery is disconnected, of course).

Any thoughts or guidance from the 164 experts out there?

I'm assuming I'd start my search for spares at APE, but is anybody out there breaking a 164 for parts?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,613 Posts
You can test the sensor with an ohmmeter. There's details in TSB 45.93.05 on the cardisc.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tested both front sensors. Both checked good. Ground to chassis both good.

I'm thinking that I wasn't able to be precise enough on the 3 sec interval to clear the codes in the computer using alligator clips. I'll make some test leads with a push-off button to make it more precise. Probably still have the Open Circuit and Squib problem to deal with.

Need to check connectors at the airbag ECU too, I guess.

·
Registered
273 Posts
clock spring

If the clock spring is not set properly when steering wheel or rack is replaced, the spring will stretch and break at one end of full travel. It's easy to replace the clock spring, but repairing it is not!

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,580 Posts
I take it you found my thread/post on changing clock spring. I think if you remove two (2) air bag torx screws and DISCONNECT squip connector from air bag and remove air bag and top cover to steering column you can probably disconnect orange connector there and test clock spring wires (both wire terminals) for open circuit.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Managed to clear two codes from the computer, the LF sensor & the squib.

However, the "Open Circuit" still remains. I checked the diagnostics in the wiring manual. It has a procedure whereby you connect a 4ohm resistor between pins 1 & 2.

Is there a usual/common cause of the "Open Circuit" fault, like a loose connector, or is it usually a bad ECU?

Also, where exactly is the Airbag ECU under the dash?

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,580 Posts
Managed to clear two codes from the computer, the LF sensor & the squib.

However, the "Open Circuit" still remains. I checked the diagnostics in the wiring manual. It has a procedure whereby you connect a 4ohm resistor between pins 1 & 2.

Is there a usual/common cause of the "Open Circuit" fault, like a loose connector, or is it usually a bad ECU?

Also, where exactly is the Airbag ECU under the dash?
See this TSB and others referenced in it: Alfa 164 TSB 45.93.03 Use return to TSB link at bottom of bulletin to return to TSB list.

ECU is orange one mounted to floor of center hump. Remove right side carpet panel by siding passenger seat reward, remove two screws in panl one of them near front of inner seat rack and other in middle of carpet panel.

It helps to remove rear ash tray and center console hold down screws under it and side center console rearward then pull out bottom of panel and slide it out of groove in dash bezel next to ac panel and radio.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Steve. I didn't see that TSB. Sounds like just a loose connection check. That's what I figured.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts