Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just replaced the heater matrix/blower motor on my 1995 24v - plenum chamber and false firewall off, aircon gas retained; as well as changing a bulb in the front left headlight (airfilter side). Since putting it all back together the aircon has stopped working and the airbag light comes on. The aircon stopped working once before and started working again after a clutch change so some connector somewhere getting knocked/moved but no idea where.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

Richard

·
1990 164QV Euro spec & 1991 168B
28,126 Posts
Hi,

Just replaced the heater matrix/blower motor on my 1995 24v - plenum chamber and false firewall off, aircon gas retained; as well as changing a bulb in the front left headlight (airfilter side). Since putting it all back together the aircon has stopped working and the airbag light comes on. The aircon stopped working once before and started working again after a clutch change so some connector somewhere getting knocked/moved but no idea where.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,
Richard
Does blower motor work? If not check you hooked up Red wire from 40A fuse bar G255 on back of false firewall to G56 battery power terminal board. Also check F12 10A fuse in G1 main fuse box. Be sure you hooked up black ground wire from Q15 blower motor relay behind false firewall to G283 ground point outboard of G56 terminal block.

If blower motor working but not A/C compressor clutch recheck Big round G151 connector behind false firewall.

Report your findings. I am betting on black wire not grounded to G283.

As for air bag light issue, no real idea on why you now have light. But shielded coax cables to engine bay sensors come out next to heater core (matrix) hoses but no connectors there.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
If you disconnect an airbag wire (like the ground wire) and turn the ignition on, the airbag computer will get upset and turn the light on. I hope you didn't do something like that because now you will need the Marelli tester to reset the light (actually you already do). :(
Charles

·
28,126 Posts

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.

Disconnected earth most likely cause - will take a look again tomorrow. Shame about the reset issue; next pain...

Cheers,

Richard

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for the delay in feedback but here is the current status:

All connectors seem on and firmly connected. No sign of any hanging earth lead.

Going to have to fiddle about near the front left headlight again as it is again waterlogged - guess the glass seal needs some assistance - and being an alfa have some slight hope migh re-disturb some wires/connectors there that may rejuvinate the aircon/airbag - although with the airbag won't know it until the **** thing is reset. Anyone have code that works with Windoze instead of Linux?

All suggestions on all fronts very welcome.

Thanks and Happy new Year,

Richard

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haven't found any loose connectors but still have no aircon and airbag light is still on.

Any ideas? Aircon was working fine and no airbag issue before fiddled around false firewall and headlights.

·
28,126 Posts
Did you disconnect/reconnect frost switch wires under that small black rectangle box cover on top of evaporator? Also are connectors to trinary switch on receiver drier and fan speed controller hooked up?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you disconnect/reconnect frost switch wires under that small black rectangle box cover on top of evaporator? Also are connectors to trinary switch on receiver drier and fan speed controller hooked up?
Hi Steve,

Don't recall deliberately disconnecting these but may have done by mistake. Will check how they are now and get back to you.

Thanks,

Richard

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
hook up your AC gauges

and check R134a pressures. Is it possible that you got a small leak in the lines and now have lost pressure? Trinary switch wont turn on compressor if low on freon

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I had that exact problem when my A/C stopped working last year: a loose or dirty wire connection at the frost switch. Remove the small black plastic cover and clean the connections to see if that helps. Mine started working again once the contacts were cleaned up. I still had pressure and couldn't figure out what happened until Alfisto Steve nailed the cause of the problem, once again.
Charles

·
28,126 Posts
If you have freon you can jumper frost switch wires and see if compressor clutch relay will click and engage clutch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts