Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I was doing some fix ups on my newlay acquired 1973 2000 GTV today and I have a couple of questions if someone could please help.
1. The hoses to the eyeball air vents are completly missing on my car. I presume there is normally a hose from the back of the vent to the big hole in the fresh air box. Is there a special fitting or grommet that should be here?
Does anyone know a source for the bits I need here?

2. Both my fan and wiper switches are wired so the high speed is the first position and the slow speed is the second. Is this normal -seems round the wrong way to me?

Thanks

Paul

Attachments

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,632 Posts
3 inch duct hose found at any autoparts store (in the US, don't know about your locaction) will work. one end slides over the side vents and you have to make a lip on the duct end shown in your photo to attach it there. As far as finding the originals, I couldn't. You might check with the suppliers in the UK.

If the two wires going to the spades on the motor from the consol are reversed you only get one speed (I've slept since then so don't hold me to that) but I'm pretty sure the high speed is the first speed on the switch. The low speed is so low that one hardly ever uses it. At least I don't.

Welcome and how about some photos!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Nice call Gigem. I hand not spent any time yet thinking about how to address this on my project and now I don't have too!

Do you by chance have any ideas on how to add a vent closing system to one of these hoses. My project is going to be a heater delete. There is not to much call in south Florida for a heater but at the same time there is no need to bring additional cold air in during the "winter" here.

Sorry to high jack the thread.

Miguel

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Air Vents and Switches

Thanks gentlemen - I searched everywhere before I posted but I thought something must have been missing from the air chamber end. As usual a picture paints a thousand words.

Gigem I posted some photos in a thread called My Alfa Romeo Story I will bump it to the top again so you can have a look.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,632 Posts
On closing, no ideas, i got lucky and was able to get eyeballs that had the closing flaps still functioning. There is a lot of heat coming from the heater core even with the tap off. It's on the exit side of the core and hot water will soak the heater core. I got a heater hose tap valve and put it on the hose from the water pump in the engine compartment. It made a big difference in the temp inside the car with the aircon on.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Strange - my first position is slow on both wipers and fan. I remember playing around with the wires to get it that way.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fresh Air success

We have a wonderful company here in Queensland that supplies stuff to trucks. I find them very useful for old car stuff because trucks tend to be old tech. The flange on the back of the eyball vents and the demister vents is 65mm dia or approx 2.5inches. Qld Diesel Spares supplied me with a length of flexible duct tubing of 2.5in inside dia and I was able to make up a complete set of hoses and fit them today. Another little issue fixed.

Thanks all for your help and advice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts