Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Trying to legalize my euro headers... Looks like i now need to custom the air rail now... Any suggestions... I already have the wrong angle with the air rail to header... But the number 1 cylinder?! ****!
馃槅
Thanks as always!

Attachments

Registered
Dang, maybe that air rail fit the lousy USA Alfetta 4 - 1 header.

Premium Member
79 Alfetta GT (Sprint Veloce)
We're facing this issue as well in a few weeks. That rail does fit the U.S. 4 into 1. The Euro header seems to have the ports as an afterthought or perhaps for another rail.

The rail does have some pliability and compress-ability built-in; the accordion sections do stretch, compress, and allow for some bending; have you tried to compress and bend down the #1? We've not tried that effort as of yet.

If it looks like it will really need a modification, perhaps reach back out to me here and we can work it out (and share costs) together.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It won't compress that much... I need about 1/2 inch.. Looks like I am going to cut it down at the spring and try to push it back in side the spring it's self....

Premium Member
79 Alfetta GT (Sprint Veloce)
Please report on how that goes if you would...and good luck. I saw somewhere here where someone sort of faked that #1 tube; extended it down toward the port to create illusion that it was connected when it was not; just for the visual inspection.

Also, are you connecting air pump as well? We're going to try to give the appearance of compliance by just having the manifold and hose but no pump, since they cannot see the pump and wouldn't likely know one if they did. By all reports around here, a well tuned engine passes emissions without the pump.

Registered
I had a guy cut a piece out of the tube just next to the accordion. Then welded it back. You also need to raise the port on that cylinder somehow. I had the same guy make an extension piece. Don't forget they are inverted flare fittings. Drill NPT and you can use brass tube fittings. Cut off the flare and re-flare with 7/16 (from memory) tube nut.

Registered
For clarification. NPT hole in the manifold. Inverted flare brass fitting into the manifold. Replace tube nut on air rail with 7/16 tube nut.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts