Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to ask: If I removed the air pump to my '76 spider, or at least removed the belt so it did not function, if that would adversely affect my spider's performance? I had a similar air pump on a non-Alfa, and removing the air pump had no effect except reduce the items that the crank pully had to power. I simply blocked off the air pump inlets to the exhaust manifold and it worked great. That was a Japanese car, and I'm guessing the answer won't be so simple on an Italian car. Has anybody had experience with this? Should I just leave it well enough alone? I don't have to worry about emissions certificates from my state.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
It's for emissions purposes only. If you don't need to pass an emissions test then you can remove it - may as well remove the rail, plug the holes in the manifold and the catalytic converter as well.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. For now, I'm going to just disconnect the drive belt so the engine has one less thing to pull. when I get energetic I'll find out how to remove the rail and plug the holes. It was very difficult on my other vehicle, as the whole thing was pretty much welded together by time, rust, and heat.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Did you end up removing the belt/pump/inlets/etc...? What was the end result? Any improvement in performance? I'm considering doing the same and wanted to get an indication of your or anyone else's experience with doing this.

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts