Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We'll be doing a fair bit of work this wkd on my Milano 2.5. I've noticed quite a bit of oil on the inside of the intake flex hose, likely due to blow by from the air oil separator. We will soak it in carb cleaner this wkd, but I'm wondering if I'd create an air leak by installing an old school oil breather and plugging the vacuum line on the intake flex hose. Environmental concerns notwithstanding, has anyone else faced this issue and done something similar? My idle is a bit rough with newish plugs, due to other issues perhaps but likely the air oil separator issue is contributing. No noticeable blue smoke out tail pipe and recently passed NJ emissions.
Thoughts?
Dave

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,382 Posts
They all get a bunch of oil in the intake hose. Personally I'd just clean it out once in a while and not worry about it.

There have been claims that it's not just oil, but rather that a bunch of it is fuel from the cold start injector. Fuel from the CSI works its way past the throttle plate, collects in the intake, and thickens. No personal idea if this is true or not, but the original post is below.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/mil...5-mysterious-oil-buildup-air-cleaner-lip.html

·
Premium Member
2,649 Posts
Just the nature of the BEAST! Especially when it's cold it accumiluates more so. There's nothing you can do to prevent it. It just burns away. You can clean it, but it'll just come back in a week or so. I often see residue on my air filter cause of the cold. If the car passes emission test, just let it go.

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
17,388 Posts
It does indicate that the oil/air separator is maxed out, probably full of condensed sludge, or the oil return tube is clogged. When this happened with my 91S, I tried cleaning the condenser and return tube thoroughly and finally decided to just replace the condenser. That did the trick, and now have no oil condensing in the rubber intake tube and down into and around the air filter box.

They do need to be cleaned often I think, and you do have to make sure the oil return tube back to the top of the oil pump is open and clear.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,382 Posts
Well, it's worth cleaning the separator anyway, but the Milano separator is much simpler than the Spider one and doesn't seem to plug up the same. There is also no separate oil return tube on the Milano, just inlet and outlet.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks... Installed Greg Gordon's silicone hose kit but found fresh oil in the new hoses. Will try cleaning out the old air oil separator.
Dave

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
17,388 Posts
Have to admit I didn't go out to the garage to look at the Milano. Assumed it had a separate return line as like the 164.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts