Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,225 Posts
Sprint (italian) curved velocity stack. Came in a set of 4, with a Weber/ Alfa mounting plate, and stack retainers that allowed the curved stacks to be adjusted to a desired angle. Below is one on a GTV induction system I restored for a customer.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gordon, are they considered "Alfa" parts, I have a set of 4 and (the mounting plate, retainers, hardware are repros from Alfaholics).

·
Super Moderator
11,225 Posts
The Sprint system was made for Alfa, but always sold by Alfa accessory shops. The earlier ACL units were listed in the Autodelta catalogs as Alfa parts, but these are no longer available. I've two straight stack ACL units on my Ausca engines, GTA and single plug, from that period, and somewhere in my shop a curved stack assembly, pictured below.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,092 Posts
I had a set of those curved horns on a GTV that had been prepared by Tom Turner. I sold them and replaced them with an AR plenum and airbox. They were loud and they produced what felt like an uneven torque curve. Many years later Jim Steck explained to me why long air horns do that.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would imagine there is a balance with carb setup, cams .. chokes,venturis, etc relative to application, I think I may put these up on ABB.. for sale (not my original intent, I got these with a bunch of parts I purchased, never saw before and I have owned a bunch of weber race hardware over past 40 years ). I like my cars to have a civil note, (or enough noise to drown out my wife) >:) >:)

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Air horns--of course they have to be tuned.
Too loud and cyclists fall over and abrade their skin, and worse, the lycra.
On my Alfetta Sports Sedan that I ran for 18 years as a DD, I had them mounted straight down where the battery used to be.
The flat metal acted like a mute on a trumpet, such that the horn could be modulated. Small toot as a warning and a blast as in "get out of the way-idiot!".
:)

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I had a set in a "sporty" car in college - not an Alfa. I found to my dismay that when the temp dropped down into the 20s (F) and below, they just stopped working. At most I'd get a single high pitched squeak out of one of them - embarrassing.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You win... I have only several things that still work, my sense of humor, for one... being italian, you can figure out the other... I am going to post the (horns, trumpets,velocity stacks) for sale on ABB ..I have no use for them...as I mentioned earlier I had no Idea what the application was relative to Alfa.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I hesitate to try and bring this thread back to carb trumpets….

Pictures attached are from a period race TZ, never seen a similar set before or since.

Beautifully made in steel, each pair has offset carb mounts to ensure identical and accurate mounting.

Any ideas as to the manufacturer or are they one offs?

Richard

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts