Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking at refitting my air filter plenum to my 1965 giulia sprint gt, it came off the car when brought it and was in a box. I looked at all the parts but seem to be missing a support bracket, see attached, has anyone got this part and willing to sell it, please contact me, or if you know anyone who sells them, I have checked Classic Alfa and they don't list it. Thanks Chris

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
I’m pretty sure I have the correct one for your car (1600). I think I have all of the various lengths. I’ll check but of course I’m in the US.

-John

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m pretty sure I have the correct one for your car (1600). I think I have all of the various lengths. I’ll check but of course I’m in the US.

-John
Thanks John, I'll wait to hear from you, I'll let you know if someone else comes up with one. Chris

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Chris,

Attached are photos of the carb struts I have. I believe they are (L to R): 1300, 1600, 1600, 1750/2000. The second photo shows the profile of the struts. Notice the two 1600 struts have the same overall length however, one has more curvature (probably to clear linkage, etc., etc.)

-John

Attachments

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chris,

Attached are photos of the carb struts I have. I believe they are (L to R): 1300, 1600, 1600, 1750/2000. The second photo shows the profile of the struts. Notice the two 1600 struts have the same overall length however, one has more curvature (probably to clear linkage, etc., etc.)

-John
Hi John, as I never had one with my car I don't know which one is right, perhaps someone else may know, my car is 1965. How much do you want for the right one. Chris

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Chris,

Although I think both of the 1600 struts I show will work, your car should have come with the “straight“ version. I believe the strut with the curve came on a later car; 116 series car maybe?

-John

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
there is also the difrence between straight and curved, for a 65 Spring GT, I would say that you will need the 1600 curved strut, like the straight one will foul against the accel rods, you can always buy the longer 2000 version and modified to your needs, theres a but, there is also a diference on the bottom part of the strut between small and large bushing, depending on the type of fitted engine mounts

·
Registered
969 Posts

Hi Chris and all,

According to the early 105.02 catalog 993 from 6/1964, the strut had Alfa # 105.02.08.055.00. it was replaced afterwards for # 105.02.08.055.01, that also was listed for the 1600 Giulia Super and TI Super.
The date of change is unknown to me but it was announced in a 9/1967 addition to that early catalog.
The difference between those two 105.02 struts, that was mentioned in that same addition, was about the bushing indeed, as the bolt for fixing the bushing in the motor mount changed from 6 mm to 10 mm. At least the number of the motor mount was changed too.

Comparing the drawing of the strut in post # 1 with the one in the picture here below, taken from the 993 catalog, one could suppose indeed, like quadirfoglio suggested before, that the early bushing was smaller. Maybe someone else can confirm that ?

Chris, maybe you can check your (inlet side) motor mount for having a hole of 6 mm or 10 mm where the strut bolt should pass.

Secondly, those early struts ( see part at the left here below) didn't have the nuts yet welded at the top of the 'T' section like later struts ( part at the right)

You better check whether your air intake casing has two studs or two holes. Should be like the one on the picture here below I think. That could be important for mounting the strut on the air intake without problems.

I measured the overall lenght of the 105.02.08.055.01 strut as you can see below, it was 36,3 cm.
Or 34,3 cm, measured from the top to the center point of the bushing .

Fwiw, you can see here below that the # 105.02.08.055.01 strut was not curved.

I hope this info is helpfull to you.

Rgds,

Thierry

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
View attachment 1672199

Hi Chris and all,

According to the early 105.02 catalog 993 from 6/1964, the strut had Alfa # 105.02.08.055.00. it was replaced afterwards for # 105.02.08.055.01, that also was listed for the 1600 Giulia Super and TI Super.
The date of change is unknown to me but it was announced in a 9/1967 addition to that early catalog.
The difference between those two 105.02 struts, that was mentioned in that same addition, was about the bushing indeed, as the bolt for fixing the bushing in the motor mount changed from 6 mm to 10 mm. At least the number of the motor mount was changed too.

Comparing the drawing of the strut in post # 1 with the one in the picture here below, taken from the 993 catalog, one could suppose indeed, like quadirfoglio suggested before, that the early bushing was smaller. Maybe someone else can confirm that ?

View attachment 1672206

Chris, maybe you can check your (inlet side) motor mount for having a hole of 6 mm or 10 mm where the strut bolt should pass.

View attachment 1672201

Secondly, those early struts ( see part at the left here below) didn't have the nuts yet welded at the top of the 'T' section like later struts ( part at the right)

View attachment 1672202

You better check whether your air intake casing has two studs or two holes. Should be like the one on the picture here below I think. That could be important for mounting the strut on the air intake without problems.

View attachment 1672203

View attachment 1672204

I measured the overall lenght of the 105.02.08.055.01 strut as you can see below, it was 36,3 mm.
Or 34,3 mm, measured from the top to the center point of the bushing .

View attachment 1672205

Fwiw, you can see here below that the # 105.02.08.055.01 strut was not curved.

View attachment 1672207

I hope this info is helpfull to you.

Rgds,

Thierry
That's great Thierry, that is all the information I need, I can't get to my unit at the moment because of the snow and ice, but will get the measurements when I can and put them on this site. I should not complain but sometimes having an early car like this can be a pain, but I would not swop it. 👍 Chris

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's great Thierry, that is all the information I need, I can't get to my unit at the moment because of the snow and ice, but will get the measurements when I can and put them on this site. I should not complain but sometimes having an early car like this can be a pain, but I would not swop it. 👍 Chris
Hi Thierry, I have got the plenum with two studs, also I have checked the size of the Bush hole and it is slightly larger than 6mm but definitely not 10mm, you showed pictures of the struts are they ones you have for sale? If so how much do you want. Another thing if I can only get 10mm type could I drill the hole in the mounting bracket out to 10mm?
Thanks Chris

·
Registered
671 Posts
Excellent information summary Thierry. You have saved me hours of looking thru parts books. My understanding of the evolution of those parts was as you have shown.
I only recently had very early GT motor here which had the oil gauge pressure sender on the filter housing, the usual spot under the carbs undrilled blank. It also hade the 6mm mounting for the support strut bush. The engine number was less than the first thousand 502s made.
Thank you.
Vince.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Hi Vince & all,

Do you know whether there were any other differences between the early and second type motor mount, except for the difference in hole diameters ?
If not, Chris could use the second type carb support with bushing of 10 mm in his first type motor mount by just enlarging the hole to 10 mm.

Rgds,

Thierry

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hi all,
I'm not aware of any dimensional difference from early to later mount other than the hole diameter. The other evolutionary changes later along the way included a change from round to rectangular rubber part, and the extra reinforcing gusset for the middle one of the 3 engine block mounting stud holes.
Rgds,
Vince.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I believe this is the elusive early Sprint GT carburetor support strut. This might possibly be for the TI Super also but I’m not sure.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts