Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1986 Spider. The air filter housing has always had a crease and dent. Is this common in these cars? I have no idea how this would happen.

·
Registered
86 Veloce
762 Posts
Strange place for that to be, just inboard of the fender. Looks like someone was pissed and hit it a few times with a peen hammer! Doesnt hurt anything though.

·
Registered
86 Veloce
762 Posts
That's so interesting and strange. I hope someone has an answer for this and let's us know!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks,
Your photo answers my question. It looks like this dent is common. Why Alfa Romeo didn’t quality control this cosmetic flaw Is a mystery.

·
Registered
86 Veloce
762 Posts
I'm not convinced it is a manufacturing flaw. Maybe a common mechanical failure causes similar damage?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,374 Posts
I think people put their hand on the AFM to brace themselves when doing work on the front end of the car and the weight causes the air filter housing to buckle like that.

·
Registered
7,793 Posts
It is hardly common, just because 4 people (so far) here have the same thing.

It just means the guys working on those cars were rough (you'd have to be a gorilla really, that air filter lid is quite strong) and those working on the other 20,000+ were careful;)

·
Registered
7,793 Posts
mine is undamaged
And the several others I’ve seen in person over here (Gonna have to take my word for it😜)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Your photo answers my question. It looks like this dent is common. Why Alfa Romeo didn’t quality control this cosmetic flaw Is a mystery.
"Alfa Romeo"....."quality control". LOL Hey Luigi, you think this is a problem? No, Giuseppe, it's just a dang airbox lid - shut up, it's almost quittin' time!

See mine in the attachment. This is fascinating. Before I took this picture I would have told you that my airbox lid was pretty much perfect - but there is definitely something there. Just a tiny little "dent" and a tiny bit of rust. And my car has near zero rust aside from the exhaust system. It had to have come like this from the factory - as you can see there is absolutely positively no other sign of damage to my lid. There's nothing nearby to hit, and it's right on the ridge which would be the hardest part of the lid to dent. Wild.....

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Veloce
762 Posts
I think now I must agree about coming like that from the factory. I thought mine had no sign of a dent to but if you look closely there is a very small dent along the ridge....

·
Registered
557 Posts

WOW I never noticed. Yes my 84 has the same dent. I know for sure my 85 did not have that dent. My best guess is it was a tooling issue from the factory. Slightly missed alignment in the press?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,793 Posts
What year?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S4.....maybe Luigi and Giuseppe had left by then:)

could also be that the alignment was not so great and mechanics started re-forming them so that the hose alignment (hose on AFM to hard plastic hose) lined up better?...perhaps the steel mounting bosses inside the rubber grommets (on the lower half) went missing, and if you then tighten against just rubber, it might put it out a little...dunno

here is another on ebay that has no crease (by the looks)
Alfa Romeo Spider Air Filer Top Cover | eBay

1 - 20 of 29 Posts