Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Air Filter Housing Question

3K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  Cosimo 
#1 ·
I have a 1986 Spider. The air filter housing has always had a crease and dent. Is this common in these cars? I have no idea how this would happen.

See less See more
#2 ·
Strange place for that to be, just inboard of the fender. Looks like someone was pissed and hit it a few times with a peen hammer! Doesnt hurt anything though.

#4 ·
That's so interesting and strange. I hope someone has an answer for this and let's us know!

#15 ·
Your photo answers my question. It looks like this dent is common. Why Alfa Romeo didn’t quality control this cosmetic flaw Is a mystery.
"Alfa Romeo"....."quality control". LOL Hey Luigi, you think this is a problem? No, Giuseppe, it's just a dang airbox lid - shut up, it's almost quittin' time!

See mine in the attachment. This is fascinating. Before I took this picture I would have told you that my airbox lid was pretty much perfect - but there is definitely something there. Just a tiny little "dent" and a tiny bit of rust. And my car has near zero rust aside from the exhaust system. It had to have come like this from the factory - as you can see there is absolutely positively no other sign of damage to my lid. There's nothing nearby to hit, and it's right on the ridge which would be the hardest part of the lid to dent. Wild.....

Attachments

#6 ·
I'm not convinced it is a manufacturing flaw. Maybe a common mechanical failure causes similar damage?

#10 ·
I think people put their hand on the AFM to brace themselves when doing work on the front end of the car and the weight causes the air filter housing to buckle like that.

#11 ·
It is hardly common, just because 4 people (so far) here have the same thing.

It just means the guys working on those cars were rough (you'd have to be a gorilla really, that air filter lid is quite strong) and those working on the other 20,000+ were careful;)

#16 ·
I think now I must agree about coming like that from the factory. I thought mine had no sign of a dent to but if you look closely there is a very small dent along the ridge....

#22 ·
That's a speed dent. It makes the car go faster.

I wouldn't say my S4 is dented there but it's definitely oddly shaped. I would assume it's a by-product of the stamping process.

#26 ·
It's really very simple, my brother Alfisti simpletons. The crease/dent, as you can clearly see, provides a pooling place for water. Water is a cooling agent for the intake air. Cooler air provides better performance. Obviously the Alfa engineers were ahead of their times. I'm really disappointed that some of you guys, that I rely on for advice, didn't spot this. I recently expanded on the engineers innovation and put a large dent in my hood to retain heat dissipating water. I think I gained 10whp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.