Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Mine was/is solid rubber. It has small notch ( cut out) for locating pin. This was OEM at the time I bought the Spider in 1970.
Hope this helps
Jon

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Small help needed with part number 4 on photo, is it foam rubber material under strap?
Franjo,
My '66 Duetto has foam rubber material under the strap. It has been there since I got the car, about 33 years ago and is probably original to this air filter canister. I believe it had similar foam rubber under the lid, shown as part number 2 above.

I have a canister listed on eBay that I sand blasted to bare metal and the foam rubber 'gue' was very resistant to sand blasting and had to be scraped off. The canister on eBay had a 'solid' rubber gasket 'under the lid' on the canister that was not present on my car's air canister. I tried to swap the gasket but it would not fit my canister; different design.

This canister is wearing your "Tri-lobe" wing nut by the way.

Alfa romeo Air filter canister or Housing, Duetto, Giulia GTV, Super: type 105 | eBay

OBTW, the 'tie down strap' for the other canister on eBay does not look correct.

Mark

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Mark
It looks foam rubber on factory catalogue sketch.That is why i made a thread to see the result of my research.I think foam rubber strap was used on all early 105 airfilter housings.Rubber gasket on the housing cover (number2)might be similar material.Scalino owners-please check your air filter housings...
Regards from Slovenia
Franjo

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
I will look for gasket #2 on mine, but I think it's long gone. I wanna believe that it was a cork material that was glued in. I remember when I painted my air cleaner it had to be scraped out piece by piece.
Cheers, Jon

·
Registered
949 Posts
I bought a canister from Spain and it came with what looked like an original rubber strap that was pretty perished. The canister had some minor surface rust, stickers and the 3 arm wing nut so I took it to not have been restored. I made a new strap from some leftover rubber epdm roofing I had (~2/16" thick). It had a hole at one end (used a punch) that located on the canister pin and wrapped around under the strap. I don't know if it was ever glued but I rely on the strap to retain it.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There were 2 manufacturers(i guess) ,one housing cover with letters&numbers stamped on first photo.Looking the cketch more carefully-solid rubber hose above the engine is drawn the same as rubber number4 so i guess solid material under the strap it is.My friend sent me photos of his 1750 mk1 housing-rubber is solid,thickness 2mm, width 22mm.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
You are correct about different manufacturers. I once had a lid that was smaller than the canister when I was matching parts. Can't remember the manufacturer tho.
Great job with your reproduction parts. Attention to detail is noted.
Cheers, Jon

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I've had my '67 since new. It's original canister strap (#$) was a thick (2-3 mm) rubber loop (no break) with a notch for the locating pin. The top gasket (#@) was a foam rubber about 4 mm thick and very open-cell).

The clamp has a long bolt with a hex head and a slot for a standard screwdriver. The piece it screws into is brass. Both are hard to find.

BTW - the filter in your picture is too small diameter. The proper one just fits inside the opening. IT is round in its box, but flexes to the oval shape on insertion.

Robert

·
Registered
5 Posts
Duetto air box

I just postedone on ebay for under $200.
Who is making the reproductions? Please send me a link.
Thank you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts