Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Make a long story short - I almost passed out today - got stuck in LA freeway traffic under 106F weather for 90 mins :(

Every night when I left my warehouse for home, I have to go to weather.com and see if I can drive my GTV to work the next day without passing out.

I want to put an AC on my GTV. I know some of them have AC from factory, but is it very hard to find the parts right now? And would there be huge modification involved? All the routing of pressure lines and the condensor, etc... :eek:
I saw an article somewhere, seems pretty complicated.

I remember one of my dad's old car had an aftermarket air conditioner that mounts under the dash. I've searched through the net and without luck.

I'm actually looking into the posiblity of designing a portable AC for classic car with the use of peltier effect. So it would be more like a portable fan with cool (not cold) air coming out, and some temporary ducting to the outside through the rear window. :confused:

Would it be very stupid to wear those 60 bucks "Personal Climate Control " from Sharper image while driving a car? :D

I would do anything just to drive my GTV under ultra hot weather.

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Heh, I'm feeling you're pain chan. And I drive my GTV everyday. Plus, I'm moving to Phoenix, Arizona in a month. I'm going to die!!!

·
Supporting Vendor
4,415 Posts
You could get one of those "cool suits" that racers use, with circulating ice water from a remote tank!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha!! Great idea.

JoeCab said:
You could get one of those "cool suits" that racers use, with circulating ice water from a remote tank!
I'm really looking into the peltier module on ebay today. Might buy one off ebay and do something about it. $40 for a pretty big one and fan and duct.

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
alfa_chan said:

I remember one of my dad's old car had an aftermarket air conditioner that mounts under the dash. I've searched through the net and without luck.
Check out www.vintageair.com We're gonna use one of their underdash units in the '48 Plymouth hotrod we're building.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Vintage Air

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the Vintage Air systems in an Alfa? I have seen many installed in American Iron, but never in an Alfa. The systems look good and work well. I am just wondering how much of a drain they are on our little motors.

I once had a Honda with A/C that I always joked the A/C button was hooked up to a Nitros bottle. Turning off the A/C doubled the engine power!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Re: Vintage Air

jthraen said:
I once had a Honda with A/C that I always joked the A/C button was hooked up to a Nitros bottle. Turning off the A/C doubled the engine power!
You don't know how much that one hit home Jeff! I had the dealer install a/c in my beloved '91 CRX Si. If I needed to pass I'd have to switch it off.

I was gonna suggest that Heimeng hang a swamp cooler on his passenger side window.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
hahahahhahah too funny.

A/C equals to much weight! And loosing HP's isn't cool either. You can loose them faster then create them.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Hey Alfa Chan:

Behr made the aftermarket kits for Alfa that were sold at the dealerships....or at least the Spider. I had one for awhile and decided to sell it last year. Kit came with everything. I know of someone who may have one or more kits, but not sure if he has spider or gtv kits or both. Anyway, came with the compressor mounts, dryer, condensor, fan, tubes, underdash unit, etc. Kit included everything but the compressor (which is easy enough to locate. Drop me an email if you are interested and I can give you the contact.

Best Regards,
John M

1 - 9 of 9 Posts