Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you to those of you who gave me tips on the power loss problem. It turns out it was only the broken plastic intake and fortunately I found one on ebay. Per all the suggestions, I checked the fuel pumps and related hoses, all are fine.

One more question now. My air conditioning blows ice cold, but only when the engine gets above 3k rpm. The clutch goes on fine and the controls work, so it is great on the freeway and in moving traffic, but at idle, it just blows warm air.

All ideas are greatly appreciated.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,914 Posts
What year is the car? Sounds like insufficient airflow over the condenser.

On the S4 the electric fans are supposed to come on when the AC turns on via the trinary switch. Not sure about the S3: I believe there's a single electric fan that works the same way, but I don't have an S3.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a 1987 s3. If you are talking about the fans that blow air, they are on. The air is warm at idle, ice cold at speed.

·
Administrator
17,365 Posts
Tom is referring to an electric fan at the radiator. The A/C condensor is located in front of the engine's radiator. The A/C system was removed from our '84 Spider by the PO but usually there is a relay that turns on the radiator/condensor fan (under the hood) whenever the A/C is switched on. Otherwise it'd only come on if the coolant temp goes above a set point.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just checked, condensor fan goes on with the air conditioning switch just like gubi said it should. No strange noises, no lag.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After paying closer attention, it seems it is not the engine speed, but the movement of the car that makes the AC cold. At a stop, engine speed doesn't matter. The condensor fan is turning when it should, but still not cold. Could it be running too slow?

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
Or turning in the wrong direction (reversed polarity on the motor wires).

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
papajam,

thank you so much, I don't mean to sound like a pain to everyone who is so helpful. I read another posted that mentioned the fans working against each other, so I checked. The radiator fan is pulling and the condensor fan is pushing.

Right now I am leaning toward either fan speed, although it looks, sounds and feels right, a dirty condensor, or maybe dirt between the condensor and radiator.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts