Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, I'm new to this forum so forgive any silly questions in advance please. I'm looking at buying a series 2 Spider (European version) but since the pretense for this is that it will be a gift to my wife, I'm instructed not to buy anything that doesn't or can't have a good working air conditioning. This might seem to defeat the purpose of having a convertible, but since we're moving to a country (spain) where it does ge scorching hot during a few months in summer, we know from experience there are days you simply do not want the roof down. Should AC in a series 2 not be feasible, we probably move to a series 4 instead but I so much prefer the 2.

Hoping some of you may have experience with this in a Series 2 and enlighten me a bit?

Thanks,
RTJS

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Well, I am not 100% sure if a S2 series alfa 's ac is similar to a S3. But I do have experience on S3 alfa ac system (as well as many other car mfg's ac systems). Im guessing- just a wild guess, that an s2's ac is similar. If so, I may be able to help......

·
Registered
820 Posts
Well, I am not 100% sure if a S2 series alfa 's ac is similar to a S3. But I do have experience on S3 alfa ac system (as well as many other car mfg's ac systems). Im guessing- just a wild guess, that an s2's ac is similar. If so, I may be able to help......
mine is a 79 and had air... ( which i took out and threw away... ) is that a series 2 ? beyond that, if you do buy one, change the top to a white one. in hot and sunny climates , the black top makes the interior a furnace... my white one fixed that outright.

·
Premium Member
13,979 Posts
The original S2 AC had the compressor mounted high on the exhaust side on a big, ugly, cantilevered bracket. It was definitely an afterthought. If you car has Webers then you can install an S3 AC system. You will have to swap out your oil pan for an S3 pan. You cannot do this to a SPICA injected engine as the compressor and SPICA pump occupy the same territory.

·
Registered
820 Posts
The original S2 AC had the compressor mounted high on the exhaust side on a big, ugly, cantilevered bracket. It was definitely an afterthought. If you car has Webers then you can install an S3 AC system. You will have to swap out your oil pan for an S3 pan. You cannot do this to a SPICA injected engine as the compressor and SPICA pump occupy the same territory.
my 79 had the system high on the left as you describe. at 30,000 miles when i got it, all the brackets were already broken.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All, thank you very much for your input. The car I'm currently looking at as a candidate for purchase is 78 that was re-imported back to Europe and converted from spica to DellOrto carbs with one of those 'pipe shaped' air filter housings that you commonly see (I know, not a very scientific description here) I've looked at multiple pics on the web and have a hard time imagining the ac unit fitting in the space described, so 'm sure the final solution won't look pretty. I'll have to give it some good thought. Much appreciate you all chiming in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts