Alfa Romeo Forums banner

air conditioning kit for GTV 1974

10K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  qld gtv 
#1 ·
My 1974 GTV does not have a/c. Could someone give me some pointers as to a/c kits suitable for this car? Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
There are no kits specific to this model, so you have to custom build something. This said, you could probably find a kit from a place like vintageair.com which can sell you complete generic kits to install. The two hardest parts would be getting the correct brackets to fix the compressor to your engine, getting the correct engine pulley and finding an evaporator box that fits under you dash.

The approach that i used was to search for the original brackets for the compressor and to source an original Borletti evaporator box. Once these pieces are sourced then everything else can and probably should be purchased new including the compressor (Sanden 508), condensor and air filter including all hoses. If you source the original evaporator box then get this pressure tested and have an expansion valve fitted that is suitable to R134a refrigirant.

#3 ·
Thanks very much for your comments. I am going the way of generic kits and have found a trunk unit (classicautoair.com, unit 1-1012, evaporator plus input and output parts), which in theory could be mounted in the trunk and to the rear shelf, though I haven't had the opportunity to study the fit in the car yet. I like the idea of the trunk unit vs. an under-dash one. I have found an original engine pulley for the additional belt.

#4 ·
Keep us posted, I'm exploring the same with my 74 GTV. Got the compressor bracket off a 77 spider and compressor. It mounts in the casting holes on the end of the head that that have been replaced with 16mm x1.5 bolts, seems like a heck of a lot more robust mounting than the original ones. Took it to a machine shop to see how much it would cost to be duplicated in aluminum so it will look better and weigh less. I could handle the trunk mounted unit to keep the dash area looking good.

#5 ·
Did anyone get anywhere with this? We have a 1972 GTV. It appears that the compressor stock situation would require the battery to move to the trunk (on top of the gas tank???) which I don't like. Or to go with a Odyssey battery that is much smaller. I like the idea of the trunk mount AC unit over the OEM console mount which to my eye looks horrible.

#6 ·
Air in a GTV

I have gone down the route of an original Alfa compressor bracket fitted with a modern compressor and generic everything else. Having said that I have not fitted the kit yet. I plan to use an odysey battery to avoid putting the battery in the boot. I will let everyone know how I get on.

Paul

#8 ·
Air in a GTV

I have gone down the route of an original Alfa compressor bracket fitted with a modern compressor and generic everything else. Having said that I have not fitted the kit yet. I plan to use an odysey battery to avoid putting the battery in the boot. I will let everyone know how I get on.

Paul
Dear Paul
did yo manage to locate the odysey battery in the original place avoiding th need to put the battery in the boot? can you please send me pictures of the complete assembly to ram.levinson@gmail.com ?
thanks
Ram

#7 ·
I just sourced an evaporator for my '71 Berlina - I bought this one:

UD-110 Under-Dash A/C Only Evaporator Unit - Underdash Evaporator Units

It fits really nicely under the right side of the dash. The rest of my kit relies on the fact that I have a Motronic engine in my car, so the bracket / compressor / pulley / tensioner etc. will be just like a 1990 Spider. I did a writeup a while back for a more generic A/C install plan - let me see if I can dig that up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.