Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time ago I removed the super-heavy air conditioner motor from my Alfetta. The hoses are all still hanging out in the engine bay, as is what I believe is the condenser. I have no intention of re-installing the air conditioning and am wondering about any guidance on removing the remaining large hoses and condenser. Will this affect heater or blower function at all? What I have removed so far seems to have had no ill effects -- heater and fan still work fine and blow air as needed into cabin, defrost, etc.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Large stiff hoses, if they were connected to the AC compressor, you can remove them, no problem.
They used to carry the refrigerant.
Only hoses that you need to leave untouched are the 2 coolant hoses that go to and return from the heater core.
One will connect to the small outlet on the water pump and the other will connect to the rear pipe of the intake manifold.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! It looks like this is where the two heavy hoses emerge from the firewall. One goes counterclockwise to what looks like the condenser and then continues around the radiator to where I removed the AC. The other goes the other direction to where the AC was. Assuming I'm taking all this out, would you just cut the hoses right outside the firewall and plug them?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Happy to send them to you if you cover the shipping. Just need to figure out how to get them out first!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Cool! (pun intended!) probably just the end I need, so cut away! Have a cloth to hand though as there will be compressor oil in the lines, which stains.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK sounds good. Do you just want the end fixtures (see pics), or some hose too? And do you want the can that I think is the dehydrator?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hiya, Just all the connoctors please, I can get the hoses made up locally, but the connectors are a bit special apparently.

·
Registered
1976 Alfetta GT, 2018 Giulia Sport
1,756 Posts
Alfahaze: From my experience I suggest only reusing the inside the car stuff, you know the thing above the radio. The condenser and the compressor and receiver/dryer should be bought new.
My AC shop had no problem making new hoses with new connectors but that was about 10 yrs ago.
I did have to make adaptor brackets for the condenser up front, and the receiver/dryer, as they did not match the Alfetta GT. The new compressor needed an adaptor bracket that was available off the shelf.
Good luck Alfahaze, AC in hot places like So Cal make the car driveable.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
When I was putting an Alfetta GT together here in sweltering Central Florida about 20 years ago,
a local automotive AC shop replicated the hoses with the ones I pulled from the car.
They were able to reuse the hardware.
Advisable to get the hoses remade because aged hoses and machined pressed fittings will probably leak under pressure.
An Autoparts store matched the receiver/drier with one from a mid 1980's Chrysler. Sorry, not sure what the part number was.
Good luck with your project!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks guys. There is a guy local to me here that is selling some compressors, as he is retiring from work on Tractors et al. I did buy a used compressor from Italy, but mostly to get the bracket, and clutch. It feels a bit crunchy when I turn the big nut, so I may be giving my guy a call for is NOS SD508. Although the UK is normally a cold place, the Alfetta gets driven the most in the summer, and last summer we had a few weeks at over 30c and this week is the same. The car is really unpleasant to drive in this sort of heat, and since it is a summer car, I think it needs it. When I had my GTV6 years ago, I went to every AC shop I could find, the hoses looked really cracked, and tired. Nobody could match the connectors then, so I would imagine it is even more tricky these days. I do not have a condensor or a dryer so that will give me some room to mix and match connectors.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Alfetta GTs and GTV-6 interiors are like green houses and have don't have the best air circulation in the cabin.
My engine bay would get hot sitting in hot summer traffic due to a lack of vents for engine heat to escape.
I propped the rear edge up with small rubber blocks and installed twin fans to pull air through.
You could really feel the heat pour out when the AC was working.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Mine is an early car, so it is all clear glass, and the P.O. has removed the underfloor insulation. Then at speed, the intake air vents simply do not work where they are located, the airflow needs a trip to increase the pressure. On later cars they installed a pair of plastic scoop vents between the wipers. Mine does not even have the little strip that is supposed to go in the bottom windscreen trim. Much to do I feel, or only drive in spring and autumn, or calm days when airships are allowed out!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts