Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a ac bearing however given that my clutch is shorting I have decided to get a compressor. i see that a dryer is recommended or necessary although I don't need it for warranty etc..

i see that there are many options and price ranges. I f I am going to do it I want the ac to work ( forever?)

Anyone have any good or bad experience with any of the sources for both parts, either to recommend or to stay away from.

I hope I did this post right as I am new and trying, if not critique that too

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh sorry , it s a 1991 alfa romeo spider veloce, sd 508 is the compressor I think, I also have been told a dryer would be a good idea although I really don't think it is necessary

·
Premium Member
27,282 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have a used Sanden from an 85 spider. Would this work? I also have a dryer canister, if that's what you mean by dryer.

PM if interested.

Thanks - Dickson

·
Premium Member
27,282 Posts
I have a used Sanden from an 85 spider. Would this work? I also have a dryer canister, if that's what you mean by dryer.

PM if interested.

Thanks - Dickson
Coil to small and his clutch uses a serpentine belt not v-belt. Compressor is a 507 and his is a 508 like Milano or 86 GTV6 but even those have V-belt pulleys.

Your 85 Hose connections flared type not oring type like 508 shorty he uses.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-parts-sale-wanted/176803-air-conditioner-compressor-dryer-new-post.html

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Don't ever buy or install a used filter dryer. You can buy a new one from IAP for about $60.00, so don't scrimp on this item. Unless they have changed the construction, a filter dryer has a sack of disiclia gel or similiar product to do the drying. If you keep a F/D on long enough, this sack will eventually fail and allow the crystals inside to circulate throughout the system. Does not do the compressor seals any good and will pack into the small orfice of the expansion valve, completely blocking the system. It may blow a compressor seal or even the head off the old piston types of compressors. Repair necessitates removing all the hoses and blowing everything out, servicing or replacing the compressor, and replacing the expansion valve. In case you are not familiar with the location of the expansion valve; when they build the car they hang the expansion valve from the ceiling and build the car around it. Not a happy prospect to have to replace one just because you cheaped out on buying a new Filter Dryer.

Good Luck, Robert Hill in Memphis TN

1959 red Giulietta Spider Veloce
1988 black Spider Veloce
1988 red Spider Quad

·
Premium Member
27,282 Posts
The Spider and Milano use same A/C receiver dryer 60527976.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts