Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever fitted an after market a/c unit in a 1750 GTV ? Hong Kong is too hot to drive around without a/c for at least 8 months in a year. Since I had it for the past 2 months, so many people on the street shows their appreciation to the car and I will hate to see it parked like a sitting duck for most of the year.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Some years ago I saw a RHD Bertone GTV with A/C fitted. The compressor was positioned above the alternator, the battery was moved to the boot (trunk) and the condensor (heat exchanger) was in the usual place in front of the radiator. I can't remember whether the belt drive was common to the alternator or whether a double pulley was fitted in place of the standard one. I guess this would be the same for LHD cars as well. I don't have any photos, sorry.
Hope this helps,
Chris
BB Lurker
1971 Giallo Ocra 1750 GTV (since 1978)
Several old Mercedes Benz
Dead Fiat 125
Would love a 1750 Duetto

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
The problem with the '71 1750 is that it doesn't have the 2 vents that face the driver & passenger. '73 & up do, but that doesn't mean it can't be done to the earlier models, I just have never seen it done.
Ed (w/ a hot '71)

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Here, on the BB, I remember a thread from someone who I think is in Singapore... (I looked for the thread, but couldn't find it - sorry. :() His roundtail Spider had an aftermarket air conditioning unit, and I asked about it, since I had never seen one and thought it was a big deal... He explained that pretty much it was a requirement to have A/C on all cars due to the weather, and it was no big deal to have one over there.

There are aftermarket units which would place have all the vents right underneath the dash. My FIAT Spider, with an 1800 cc engine, has one. :)

Best regards,

·
Registered
380 Posts
Classic Auto Air

Classic Auto Air in Tampa Fla offers a lot of aftermarket solutions.
I saw one that would replace the heater box with one that heats and cools.
813-251-4994

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
The one I saw had a large horizontal blower with the fan and temperature controls on the facia in the cabin under the dash on the passenger side. It took up a lot of room and probably would not be the way you'd do it now, but this was last millennium. Definitely aftermarket ...
The standard screen/footwell system was still there and worked about as well as it always does (or doesn't).
Chris

·
Registered
41 Posts
a/c in classic A-R

Most of A-R in Indonesia have A/C installed locally and we have survive through the heavy traffic in 30+ deg C ambient temperature.
The good point about our weather is that we dont have cold climate so we dont need any heater at all and all efort is focused on how to keep the engine cool and have an ice cold A/C working.
Therefore all my A-Rs are now using electric cooling fan to replace the mechanical one for more reliable cooling results.
I will post a number of pictures of A/C installation and most of them are using Sanden Rotary Compressor attached above the alternator using special bolts made specially replacing the two hex in front of the cyl head.
The problem with 1750 GTV is you dont have sufficient space under the dashboard and in our case we usually remove the heater and use the radio opening as air vents.
All these are custom made and readily available in local A/C garage, and they are used to this kind of installation.
Should you need more info on this please dont hesistate to send me an email
Cheers,
Zafar
President AROC Indonesia
1969 1750GTV
1969 1300 Spider Jr
1973 2000 Berlina
1973 1300 Giulia Super
1994 145 Boxer

Attachments

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Has anyone ever fitted an after market a/c unit in a 1750 GTV ? Hong Kong is too hot to drive around without a/c for at least 8 months in a year. Since I had it for the past 2 months, so many people on the street shows their appreciation to the car and I will hate to see it parked like a sitting duck for most of the year.
I have a '71 GTV that came with after-market a/c. It's all been removed.
As soon as I can I'll check with Dean @ Trail Auto to see if he still has all the bits. Maybe...he will have my car ALL winter.:eek: If he does, would you be interested?.It has a sunroof; and here in Michigan that is all I'll need. If it gets TOO hot; I just use the Spider.:cool: PM me......Ed K.:)

·
Registered
157 Posts
WowoW,

I've asked the same question re my '67 GTV as it gets darn hot here as well. I must say while I was in HK I only saw two classics - one Mini Cooper and one VW beetle.
Both excellent examples and both turned a thousand heads as they stood out from the Toyota Crown taxis, but both are also quite bland compared to a 105.
So I can understand why your 1750 gets a lot of attention.

My Alfa mechanic here in Brisbane Australia has retro-fitted quite a few 105 coupes, spiders and sedans with air-con.
He considers it an easy conversion mechanically, but then he's a fully qualified mechanical engineer so I guess anything is easy.

Apparently the plastic encased condensor/heater box from Alfetta/Giulietta models is reasonably compatible with the steel encased heater boxes under the dash of a 105.
A couple of spacers or washers will be needed to get the box to sit correctly on the mounting bolts though, but otherwise the mountings are very similar.

On the downside you will probably have to reconfigure the air ducting, but this isn't that hard with some 50mm flexible plastic agri-pipe and some determination.

Under the bonnet (hood), it's all Alfa as well - recycling the brackets, pulleys and compressor from the later models.
The only question I haven't asked him is whether/how he adds an additional pulley for the A/C or if he just opts for a longer belt to drive the compressor as well as the alternator and fan.
Mounting the controls inside may prove a little tricky also, but it will be easier in a 1750 as you have a console to mount them on and to hide the new box.
In the 67 GTV there is no console, so things are left a little exposed.

Hope it helps.

Col

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Col,
who is your alfa mechanic? I was offered aircon out of a berlina today for my Super and was tempted....

·
Registered
157 Posts
Chris,

I haven't actually installed A/C in mine as yet. Sorry, didn't mean to give the impression that I had. Just bugged the hell out of my mechanic as to how it is done.

Derek,

Norm Goulding of Alfamotive at Moorooka.
Excellent mechanic with an unbelievable depth of Alfa knowledge and a top bloke. ph 3277 3186.

Myself, I would leap at the Berlina unit, and get him to fit it.

Cheers,
Col

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Col,
Thanks. I live north of you on the Sunshine Coast and it gets pretty hot in summer, though of late with all of the rain I need a bilge pump rather than an airconditioner ...
Regards,
Chris

·
Premium Member
5,444 Posts
Zafar:

Excellent pictures, thanks! It looks like the heater box was removed in favor of the evap (I think you mentioned that before). Do you think there would be any chance of fitting both in? What if you were to remove the glove box - could it go in there? I have seen the units that hang below the dash on the passenger's side - I'm not crazy about that set up.

Anyway, very nice arrangement - I imagine there are quite a few AC experts in Jakarta!

·
Registered
38 Posts
UP to this thread

@Zafar : and about the condenser ? and the pulley ? I thing you did not talk about this.

I've sent you a MP

Any new infos ?? summer is coming...

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
a/c in classic A-R

Most of A-R in Indonesia have A/C installed locally and we have survive through the heavy traffic in 30+ deg C ambient temperature.
The good point about our weather is that we dont have cold climate so we dont need any heater at all and all efort is focused on how to keep the engine cool and have an ice cold A/C working.
Therefore all my A-Rs are now using electric cooling fan to replace the mechanical one for more reliable cooling results.
I will post a number of pictures of A/C installation and most of them are using Sanden Rotary Compressor attached above the alternator using special bolts made specially replacing the two hex in front of the cyl head.
The problem with 1750 GTV is you dont have sufficient space under the dashboard and in our case we usually remove the heater and use the radio opening as air vents.
All these are custom made and readily available in local A/C garage, and they are used to this kind of installation.
Should you need more info on this please dont hesistate to send me an email
Cheers,
Zafar
President AROC Indonesia
1969 1750GTV
1969 1300 Spider Jr
1973 2000 Berlina
1973 1300 Giulia Super
1994 145 Boxer
Dear Zafar
do you have a drawing of the A/C bracket? it looks much better than the after market bracket which was used in the USA at that time
i think that with your bracket design there will be a chance to keep the battery in its original position without relocating it to the trunk. am i right?

Ram

1 - 20 of 21 Posts