Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a cheap sud a few days ago. I'm planning on using it as a cheap run around car as fuel prices continue to rise. Its running quiet hot in that the thermo fan comes on and rarely shuts of once the car is running. It has air con so I was going to pull that out in order to get some more air flow through the radiator. Guess what? To my surprise when I turned the air con switch on it actually worked! Anyone have any good suggestions to get the engine to run a little cooler with all that air con junk in front of the radiator?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Ok , the most probable case is that the radiator is dirty and needs to be cleaned. Years of use and probably water instead of antifreeze might have created mud and rust inside the whole cirguit , not just the radiator.

Remove the return pipe to the expansion box , get a hose with running hose or bottles with plenty of water , start the engine and let the water from the pipe to go down on the floor while you replace the missing water form the top. Ideally it would be a good idea to use industrial soap (avoid cleaner or addictives) just to help removal of mud and go couple of rounds around the block. Then replace the soaped water with fresh.

This is the first option and most important thing you have to do and it will improve performance. After that it is either oil cooler ( cheap mode ) , bigger fan (Spal recomended ) or radiator from 33 16v.

Last option to replace the water pump but this is something that should be done with cambelt service. Usually factory pumps had plastic fins which after so many years can lose grip on the pump axl and start loosing rpms in higher range. New pumps have metallic fins and have better flow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
During Sydney summers, my Sprint runs without drama. Until I turn the AC on......then she starts to get hot (temp lamp on) in stop/start traffic.
Even though my cooling system is in perfect health.

The problem is that the condenser is mounted in front of the radiator and is an item that gets extremely hot. Thus, off loading all it's hot air directly onto the radiator, retarding it's cooling effect. That's just the way it is.

This year, I have ceramic coated my headers to help with engine bay temps and I'm going to look at installing a couple of motor bike fans in front of the condenser to try and cool it down in slow traffic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts