Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear all

Recently I decided to go on the route of alternator conversion on my early '67 Super. I'm very kind of authenticity and originality on my cars but the one who are using their Alfas as a daily driver will understand me.

Removed the original dynamo and fitted an alternator from an 'Alfa 75' ('Milano' in the US), featuring built-in voltage regulator. Not a straightforward 'bolt on' conversion as many people think, but nothing really difficult. Shims here and there and job is done.

Now my problem:

My air canister is the early type of dual carb models (Duetto, Sprint GT/GTV and Supers)
It DOES NOT fit anymore as the inlet pipe, which is running to the front of the engine, definitely interferes now with the alternator.
Tried to tilt back the alternator toward the engine, as if I was using a shorter belt, but No way... :confused

Of course this was anticipated in the project, and it was very clear for me: Early 1750 models were equipped with the same type of crossover air filter housing AND they were equipped with alternator, not dynamo. So it should fit... at least that is what I thought...

Did I miss something ???
I don't really think that 1750 aternator is much smaller than my late alfa 75 item...?
Should I try more? The truth is that I made little efforts to make it fit as i didn't want to damage the freshly powder coated air caniste with chips and scratches.

Thank you in advance for your help

Best regards
Sébastien

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Any chance that the air filter canisters are different for 1750(alternator) and 1300/1600(dynamo)?
Thank you for the input
This is a possibility i'm considering now after watching at genuine 1750 alternator pictures, even if probability is low that there were 2 models of canister. 1750 alternators look pretty like their Alfa 75 counterparts, at least for overall dimensions.
I'd really like to remove the alternator and put back the air canister to see the position and the exact amount of interference but... once fited, you can't virtually remove the alternator without removing exhaust header (at least 1+4)...
Unless I have more information about existence of a specific type of air canister for alt equipped engines, I'll probably end up loosenig Everything linked to alternator, then fit the air canister -if possible- and try to put back the alternator... Then I'll know for sure
Best regards
Sebastien

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sebastien

You might consider one of the small Nipon Denso alternators.
Hello Bob,

Well I'd really retain only original Alfa material, even if not for the same model and I'm in Europe: Nippondenso is not that popular here, and equipment is not just as easy to get as in the US.

If I was to go on this route (buy brand new item) I'd save money until I can buy the Alfaholics style alternator, hidden in a dynamo-ish housing

Alfaholics 50A Dynator | Classic Alfa Romeo spare parts and accessories

Are you using Nippondenso alternator in your own 'Super' ?...

Best regards
Sébastien

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Sebastien

I had one of the Alfaholics replica generator--alternator on the 63 Sprint I sold.

That was a really cramped 2 L installation.

An original type alternator is on my Super, but for the 2 L there is lots of room.

It looks big and heavy.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sebastien

I had one of the Alfaholics replica generator--alternator on the 63 Spring I sold.

That was a really cramped 2 L installation.

An original type alternator is on my Super, but for the 2 L there is lots of room.

It looks big and heavy.

Thank you for the clarification

So for the super, you are also using the long, cylindrical air filter, which is not compatible on early cars with the fuse box...?? I guess the fuse box has migrated on the firewall ??

Sébastien

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
The "big" alternator, which I guess is correct, fits with the long "Schnorkel" air intake. Also a PO had removed the battery to above the rear axle in the trunk. In the 67 Super the can is mounted on the exhaust side with the intake facing forward but below the grill.

That intake does not suck in unobstructed air and the diameter seems small, compared to the three-inch intakes for a 101 Spider.

I bought a 5 1/2 inch intake funnel( aluminum) that fits to the inner headlight space. The speed shop has the intake canister and will take off the schnorkel from the bottom and replace the first part of it with a bend of 3-inch SS. With the battery gone a piece of the 3-inch Alfa 101 intake hose will connect to the intake funnel.

The aluminum castings are polished and look good and keep the Weber noise down. It will likely breathe better that the set up on my 101 Spider with the 2 L. That is a quick car and I miss it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The "big" alternator, which I guess is correct, fits with the long "Schnorkel" air intake. Also a PO had removed the battery to above the rear axle in the trunk. In the 67 Super the can is mounted on the exhaust side with the intake facing forward but below the grill.

That intake does not suck in unobstructed air and the diameter seems small, compared to the three-inch intakes for a 101 Spider.

Bob, thank you for the input. OK, so the mystery is still here.
By the way , any chance that you post a pic of the engine bay ...?
If I understand well, It seems that you can use the original (early) canister with an alternator equipped 2L without any problem...And the same set-up doesn't work with my 1600...

As the head is lower on a 1.6 than on a 2.0, the top of the alternator abuts against the cylinder head when you try to tilt it back toward the engine, when a more compact dynamo finally touches the engine block and not the head
I suppose the clue also relies on the front timing cover where the bracket holding the dynamo is located. I bet that it is quite different in design between dynamo equipped engines and later alternator equipped engines.....

I've a front cover, also from a 1.6 but later design (spin on oil filter, alternator and long, cylindrical air filter). I'll compare the 2 items in search for something significant...

Best regards
Sébastien

1 - 9 of 9 Posts