Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all
I am thinking about getting the air box powder coated on my Montreal, my question is do I have to remove the plates on the lid or can it be done with them in situ barring in mind that it will probably be bead blasted first. If I remove them does anyone know the size of the rivets that hold it in place (to use the correct size drill to remove them) and where I can get some. I would like to keep it looking has close to original as possible. Thanks.
Geoff.

·
Push hard and live
9,858 Posts
Geoff,

Remove the plates. If they are in rough shape, you can get new ones from Pennatti.

I used a #30 drill and 1/8" AD rivets to replace mine. The original was probably a 3mm, but we can't easily find these over here. One can find a "repair rivet" that would have a 1/8" shaft but a smaller diameter head that might look slightly more original.

Not a big deal to do the work if you already have the tools. You'll need either a rivet gun and bucking bar, or a deep-jaw squeezer.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Don, now I know paint colourss and codes have been discussed on this forum before but didd anybody come up with the correct paint code for the air box and for that matter the engine bay area?
Regards Geoff.

·
Push hard and live
9,858 Posts
The airbox should be painted in a gloss black. While it may look good in a wrinkle black, this was not the original. When I refinished mine in gloss black powder coat, I discovered some scratched areas in the upper plate that were made visible with gloss pain that were hidden by the wrinkle. It looks OK in gloss, so I'm not going back to the wrinkle. I recommend powder coat, as this will be much less likely to flake when subjected to heat, fuel, and oil than a spray paint.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts