Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Spider
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving home yesterday and was behind a late model Subaru Crosstrek. It was a light blueish grey color...a rather unflattering color for a car but it struck me has how close it appears to the air box color.

From a few searches I see where years ago Ace Hardware had a grey that was a decent match. But every time I look at mine I see it more as blue than grey. As greyish shade of blue, rather than a blueish shade of grey...maybe I'm just color blind.

Anyway, most of the discussion was several years ago, before this new Subaru color came out. Has anyone tried this new color yet? I think it's J8U paint code. I've been looking for Duplicolor J8U but all I find is like $40 plus specialty order paint.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
887 Posts
Go to automotivetouchup.com. I looked, they have J8U. Reasonable prices, fairly quick shipping and they put it in a rattle can if you want.... I have used them a few times with no complaints and perfect matches.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here is a color comparison next to a Subaru Crosstrek...my oil can has been cleaned and rust treated so it's color might not be accurate anymore.

FWIW I submerged it in diesel overnight (diesel is an incredible de-greaser), then flushed it with normal de-greasers and cleaners to remove all traces of diesel, then it was submerged overnight in Ospho to treat any rust inside and out (the recessed top had a rust hole, I guess it seems to hole water in the depression), air dried, JB Weld to patch rust hole...ready for paint

Attachments

·
Registered
1978 Spider
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had found this color at Lowes for under 4 bucks...Krylon "Gloss Bahama Sea"...about the closest thing to a grayish blue/blueish gray at your typical big box store without ordering expensive "custom" paint. It came out a bit more bluer than I had hoped. But I wonder if the original color was maybe not bluer as well. The Ospho treatment did affect the original color after it cured.

All of our cars are 40+ years old. Whatever the factory color for the air boxes was it has surely faded and grown darker over the years. I doubt the "gray" color was really that grey when the cars were new. When I get the air box done and installed I guess that will be the real test...does it look like it belongs? Worst that can happen is I just re-paint it another color.

I actually thought about spraying two colors at once. This color and a can of plain "gloss gray"...your thoughts on that?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
That's not an air box, it's an oil vapor separator. I think it was semi-gloss black from the factory. At least they were in the '80s.....

That color looks pretty blue to me. My opinion is that it's going to really stick out once you get it in the engine bay - and isn't the most attractive part in there anyhow!

·
Registered
1978 Spider
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I stated it was the "oil can"..meaning oil vapor separator. Mine was the same color as the air box. Smaller piece so I used it as the color experiment.

But yes, I think it will stand out too much. I'll probably respray it or try "blending" with dual spray cans...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Blending from spray can nozzles will not work. The OVS comes semi-gloss black from the factory, but it's your car and you can paint it any color you want.

David O'D
Laguna CA

·
Registered
1978 Spider
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll skip the "blending" attempt then. Was just a weird thought. For whatever reason, my OVS was the same color as the air box and looks to be original. I would have thought black as well. But there it is...same color as the air box.

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
I was driving home yesterday and was behind a late model Subaru Crosstrek. It was a light blueish grey color...a rather unflattering color for a car but it struck me has how close it appears to the air box color.
Some might disagree with you about it being an unflattering color for a car. Mine's pretty close to the Subaru Cool Grey Khaki.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
that is a much more blue than on that Subaru Crosstrek I saw. Different paint name too so the code is different. Did you actually use "cool grey khaki" paint code or just something close? Plus your in a garage...in the sun that color will really come out...I'd drive that any day. That's actually looks a lot more like what my old box looked like.

Anyway...the air box is getting completely stripped...unintentionally...I soaked it in vinegar to remove the rust (has worked incredibly well on for me on other rusty "bare" metals) and apparently vinegar is an excellent paint stripper too...the existing paint bubbled up and blasting it with the water hose resulted in shiny, brand new looking metal in several areas. I'll finish soaking it, blast it clean, treat/prime for rust prevention and fresh paint.

I couldn't find "machinery gray" but did find "dark machinery gray". think I'll pass on that. Still wanting a better match though. the original color makes me think of cold war era European military equipment and machinery...I have seen it before

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
thank is a much more blue than on that Subaru Crosstrek I saw. Different paint name too so the code is different. Did you actually use "cool grey khaki" paint code or just something close? Plus your in a garage...in the sun that color will really come out...I'd drive that any day. That's actually looks a lot more like what my old box looked like.

Anyway...the air box is getting completely stripped...unintentionally...I soaked it in vinegar to remove the rust (has worked incredibly well on for me on other rusty "bare" metals) and apparently vinegar is an excellent paint stripper too...the existing paint bubbled up and blasting it with the water hose resulted in shiny, brand new looking metal in several areas. I'll finish soaking it, blast it clean, treat/prime for rust prevention and fresh paint.

I couldn't find "machinery gray" but did find "dark machinery gray". think I'll pass on that. Still wanting a better match though. the original color makes me think of cold war era European military equipment and machinery...I have seen it before
@0die, I see now that you were pointing to a different Subaru color. The paint code for Cool Gray Khaki is PAF. I did not base my color on that, but rather, on Porsche Graphite Blue Metallic. My car came out more blue than the Porsche color. After the fact, I found that the color is very close to the Subaru Cool Gray Khaki color, although my paint has a hint of metallic. I ordered some of the Subaru paint in aerosol form from automotivetouchup.com and painted my wheel wells, which I had instructed the painter not to do because he couldn't be trusted not to get overspray everywhere.

Here's a photo in the sunlight.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ain't nothing ugly about that color :) a nice alternative to the ubiquitous red

·
Registered
1978 Spider
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After a couple days soaking in a bucket of vinegar (I used the extra strong 9% acid stuff) most of the old paint just wrinkled up and slid off. I let it air dry a bit and rinsed/treated the interior with Ospho and sprayed the outside with "rust reformer" spray from Harbor Freight. Basically primes and seals the metal. Will be painting it this week...with some yet undecided shade of grey or blue...maybe just stick with that "Bahama Sea" blue...which I think has some green in it :/ in the end I will probably just have to compromise with a color that compliments the engine bay. If it sucks...well paint is cheap...

Attachments

·
Registered
1978 Spider
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I made it worse...

found some "royal blue" which looked kinda darker blue from the cap (the cap is apparently not a good indicator of the final product)...well the "gloss" certainly brightens things up...I wonder if "satin" would be a better sheen for the SPICA box? Mine did not really have any shine. I assumed it was old and dull but maybe it never was glossed by the factory? Is perhaps the "gloss" factor the real problem? Machinery gray that people use is a "gloss" color. All I know is that the original color was not straight "grey"...there was a blueish or greenish tone to it.

Anyway...here is Royal Blue in gloss and the "Bahama" from my first attempt for comparison

Attachments

·
Registered
1978 Spider
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Here are a couple of ones I thought about earlier... A blue gloss called "lagoon" and a green satin called "vintage teal".

I actually found several greyish greens in satin that looked very promising but since they were satin I didn't give them a second look.

My SPICA box original color really didn't have any shine to it...is that age or was it a matte or satin color originally? anyone actually have a glossy original SPICA? when I removed the data plate, the paint underneath didn't really look any shinier than the exposed paint. well there was some rust too from water sitting under the plate.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
887 Posts
With all the time and various pai ts you could have got what you wanted at automotivetouchup. But what do I know.....

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
11,985 Posts
I had several SPICA air cleaners, two form 1969, one from a 1971 and one from an Alfetta. They were all different colors. So, in my opinion, there is no "SPICA" grey.

I took the two from from the 1969 cars to a powder coater. It took two of us searching through the samples. We settled on a color.

Remember, anything that you take a picture of is not going to look quite right on your computer. Reflected light can change the appearance of anything.

20160921_150413.jpg
20160921_150548.jpg
20160921_150559.jpg
20160921_150628.jpg
20160921_150728.jpg
20160921_150735.jpg

1 - 20 of 32 Posts