Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently entered the world of Alfa ownership, when I fell under the seductive spell of a very nice Spider Veloce. Has 49,000 miles, with only a very few minor issues that I'm sorting out as I go.
One of the issues is the 10 year service requirement for the Air Bag. Appearantly, these cars were built with an internal clock (noted in owner's manual, as well on a door frame plaque) . . . requires factory trained technician to inspect and replace airbag, if necessary . . . or if "OK", reset the 10 year timer . . . anyway, Air Bag warning light on the dash is always on, indicating the need for service.
My question is . . . Where will I find someone qualified to do this? Is it truly necessary? Are there Technical Manuals that can walk you thru steps to "self-service" the system?
I've noticed that other late model owners must have the same issue. Would appreciate any advise on this.
Thanks,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found the fault code

Following the instructions, I was able to identify the fault code 16. "Failure to forward left side sensor" . . . . I had quite a time in attempts to reset the fault, using the precise steps in the instructions, but a made up a jumper with a single pole 15 amp switch (interrupter). On my spider, a 14 gauge solid copper wire with insulation striped back about 3/8 inch worked well as my jumper. I've attempted to attach photo so you can see what I'm talking about. Made it much simpler to disconnect and reconnect jumper, as well as immediately kill power to ignition when required , , to reset fault codes. (My fault codes were cleared, but returned almost immediately). I've got to get into it a little deeper, tracing wiring harness to see if there is an obvious problem. Or perhaps sensor itself is bad.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts