Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help me find a 95 and up gtv or spider in US?

Anyone have a reputable contact/agent/establishment that can help with the daunting process of importing a car from Italy?
I understand car must be manufactured over 25years ago, but it seems some have found a way to legally dodge this restraint.

Any input much appreciated. I really want to import a early to mid 90's alfa gtv or spider twin spark (next gen) and have decided life is too short to not drive cars that I love.

I think there is a fellow in Plano close to me that has imported a few cars over the last recent years and knows a thing or two but I have yet to meet him/her(?) or find out how to reach.

thanks!

Adam in Dallas

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
The 1996 and some 1997 that were imported into Canada new can legally be imported in to the U.S. Fiat had already done all the emissions and crash testing before they decide to pull out.

They also gave all the ones going to Canada U.S. vin numbers. So if the car has the vin plate in the drivers door jamb and at says this vehicle conforms to all US emissions etc, etc.

When the vin is run through federal system it will be recognized and therefore importable.

The ones you see for sale here in the U.S. are this way.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
very interesting Jim. As I dig in the Canadian market I have yet to find an alfa gtv coupe or spider that was not imported from Asia. Did
Alfa actually build new gtv's and spiders specifically for Canadian consumption at all?
If you are saying Alfa tagged some of the Canadian cars with meeting US emissions and safety standards I am absolutely shocked! Would love to know more or to track one of these cars down!
Appreciate you,

·
Registered
102 Posts
very interesting Jim. As I dig in the Canadian market I have yet to find an alfa gtv coupe or spider that was not imported from Asia. Did
Alfa actually build new gtv's and spiders specifically for Canadian consumption at all?
If you are saying Alfa tagged some of the Canadian cars with meeting US emissions and safety standards I am absolutely shocked! Would love to know more or to track one of these cars down!
Appreciate you,
This appears to be one the handful that were sold new in Canada. No VIN provided but it has the side reflectors on the front and back bumper which is a requirement of cars sold new in the US and Canada.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-voiture-collection/longueuil-rive-sud/alfa-romeo/1349894396?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I know there’s a few GTV’s in the states that came from Canada and there’s also a red spider in Atlanta it could be a Canadian model or modified by a company for the US market in the 90’s when it was new.

Also another option just wait a few more years and you can import one easily from Europe and have many more engine options to choose from as most Canadian ones have the 16V Twinspark which isn’t actually an Alfa engine. While a lot of the European models got the 24V and 12V V6 also certain markets got the 2.0l V6 turbo engine.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you 1986velocealfa- I'm gathering all the data I can! Yeah...waiting a few years is the best option...albeit the most painful to wait that long! Trying to spot that 'unicorn' now that is reasonable.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have worked with Tommaso at GPS Classic in Soragna near Parma. He is a totally trustworthy guy, but his services don't come cheap.

I have been to his shop, I bought a car, a Junior Z, through him, and brought it in to the US. The biggest problem was that paper "titles" do not exist anymore in Italy. Yet in most US states you need one to register a car.

Exporting an Alfa through Netherlands or some other northern European country is easier (I bought one through Sweden). From northern Europe, it is safe to do RORO shipping. From Italy, everyone says you must container it, which adds to the cost.

Some big dealers like Gallery Aaldering or other similar places may be easier, since they export many cars out of the Netherlands.

There are always more BS port fees on our end in the US than you would ever think. Just a heads up.

Scott

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jimmy I like your 155 Idea. A 2.0 ts, v6 or q4 would be a hoot to drive while the gtv's become legal. I'll dig a bit to see what the market is like on that car.
Scott your input is much appreciated, I shot an email to Aaldering to see if they have in interest in my query. Interesting how costs can be so different simply from what country exported from. Wish I had more English speaking contacts overseas that are familiar with this industry of import/export.

·
Registered
2 Posts
some 916 spiders are US Spec. in Canada not all I did get a 1997 two years ago love the car it has better pickup
than the type four I had one five speed and one automatic still have type 1 2 and 3 Old Alfa's never die

Best of luck on finding yours
Ron:thumbup1:

·
Registered
230 Posts
FWIW-I spoke to a guy last year who had a 916 on ebay in the US. We spoke about the car-he bought it as a used car in the states from someone who had imported under diplomatic cover-the original owner was attached to an embassy or consulate. So that explains one more way they can dribble in.
@adamreed31 I too have spoken with the guy in Plano who has a 916. AIR, he has some special use tags/title that allows him something like 500 miles a year for special events historic etc. I did not ask if that was a state of Texas restriction or a Federally mandated one.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
'Austin' thank you as well. Indeed a diplomat import is another rare way to get one. Interesting on the plano fellow, I only know of him as you has sold imports in the past. Do you happen to know how I can reach him? Odd with the special use restriction, for it generally is only for cars built in super low quantities. Props to him if he was able to use this rule! I keep my feelers out....may reach out to the Florida/Nashville/Atlanta clubs...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts