Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After pricing out total re-upholstering jobs on my two torn up seats on the restoration project, I am thinking about Recaro, Corbeau, or similar.
Any experiences? I am finding size to be somwhat of a problem. I am sure I will need to fabricate or modify seat rails, but the big problem seems to be width and height.
Comments?

Keeth Lawrence
84 Spyder

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hi,

I haven't done this on a Spider, but I have put Recaros in my 74 GTV ( and a long time ago some recaro copies in a 78 Firebird ).

It was pretty straight forward. I removed the seat tracks from the stock seats and using pieces of 1/8" thick 1.25" wide steel bar stock adapted them to the seats. Basically measure everything, mark and drill the holes, and bolt the bar stock to the seats and then the rails to the barstock. Use washers or thrust bearings as spacers to adjust for any front to rear or side to side height issues.

Dan

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. In my searching today I found that Corbeau makes a number of seats which fit the spyder and they also have mounts and seatrails for the Alfa. I'm in business! :)

Keeth Lawrence
84 Spyder

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gt sport seats for 89 spider

Hi there,
I need to install some sport seats that will take an inertia reel harness. They are to increase the safety aspect of the car. We are planning to drive my 89 spider from England down to Mallorca so the seats need to also be comfortable enough for a grand tour! I've been having a look on line but seats are something you really need to try out, or get advice from people who've been there! I was wondering how you got on. You said you found some places that had some options, although it was some time ago so I understand if I'm a little late.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
Watch out for seat height in spiders. I tried a set of Recaro "equivalents" some years ago, and they were totally unsuitable due to the seating position being way too high. Also, Spider seats are not symmetrical in the ****pit. A seat that fits in the driver position may interfere with the ****pit edge when mounted in the passenger side.

I created some simple custom mounts for my '76 Spider seat rails to space them far enough apart that the seat fits between, rather than on top of the rails; therefore lowering the seat.

After pricing out total re-upholstering jobs on my two torn up seats on the restoration project, I am thinking about Recaro, Corbeau, or similar.
Any experiences? I am finding size to be somwhat of a problem. I am sure I will need to fabricate or modify seat rails, but the big problem seems to be width and height.
Comments?

Keeth Lawrence
84 Spyder

1 - 5 of 5 Posts