Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all - just searching the forum for pictures of aftermarket seat installations in a 105 coupe, and haven't found much. I'd be very interested to see what (and how) other members have installed - and how various seats fit (heightwise / widthwise etc). Maybe you could post some pics or point me in the right direction for an old thread

I'm currently using std mk2 1750 seats and i could use a bit more head room (I'm 6'4") The car is a very nicely setup fast-road car so something modern and side mounted would suit well.
or something like the 'gts nurburgring' for a period look, but i don't think we have a supplier here in the uk?

cheers,

John

·
Registered
558 Posts
Yes, I've had the Nurburgring model in full vinyl for about 10 years now, the recliner version.
Much better than the stock '74 seats in terms of holding you in, but very sweaty. I would recommend using the fabric center, or full leather perhaps, rather than full vinyl.
They also mount closer to the floor than the stock '74 seats so help me with both knee room to the wheel and headroom.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Can you post some photos of your FB seats? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Why do all these seat makers make these nice seats in cheap vinyl? I cant think of anything worse than sitting on a plastic seat during a hot aussie summers day - christ - you'll probably be left stuck to the seat!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i can only dream of such a problem - we had hailstones today in ireland. in june! but yea, i think the cord centres look like a pretty cool option...

·
Registered
558 Posts
There's also leather trim possible on all of these seats, but at a 50-70% premium, as you could imagine. If I ever get time (not likely) I may try to recover mine in perforated leather, then do the rear seat the same way to match. Ideas ideas....

Re pics, I don't have any good ones of my recliners on hand, I'll post when possible.

I don't know what it's like in other places, but generally in Europe, unless you void the rear seats as being seats (which I guess Per has done as part of the paperwork around his roll cage installation) then you must have latching seats that can tip forward for access. These FB Torino recliners do have a catch to tip forward. When I started looking into alternate seats I was in fact interested in fixed seats, but as I found out about the rules over, I had to go for the recliners. I'm not unhappy about it at all though. Between these seats and a seat belt locking thingie ("CG-lock"), I'm very happy with how I'm held in. Leagues away from the oem seats.

Cheers
Neil

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
I'm currently using std mk2 1750 seats and i could use a bit more head room (I'm 6'4") The car is a very nicely setup fast-road car so something modern and side mounted would suit well. or something like the 'gts nurburgring' for a period look, but i don't think we have a supplier here in the uk?
Here is a UK company that advertises FB seats. They're prices are a bit better than the German company. Alas, I've never gotten them to answer an email (one-man company, perhaps?) and I've never gotten around to calling them direct. You might give them a try.

Welcome to World-Wide Classics On-Line

Eedneco Thanks for posting the photos. I'd never seen those seats in an Alfa before and they look they belong there. I had a chance to sit in some about a year ago and found them well made and large enough to be comfortable.

1. Recaro LS (in 911), 2. TISuper, 3. Konig

Attachments

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Does any one just drive around with a set of Kirkey Seats or are they uncomfortable for street driving. This is what I was going to try.

·
Registered
558 Posts
180OUT - no problem. I agree with you, they very much fit the car in terms of size, backrest height (not too high), and vintage look. The lower part of the seat is longer but a bit narrower than the stock seat. The question of fit between driver's body and seat will vary a lot from person to person of course, but for me they do work well. My lower quarters are held tightly but not uncomfortable, and my back could be a bit wider to fill the seatback between the buttresses - but I'm skinny. If there is anything from a practical view that some may view as negative, it's that you need to lever yourself over the lower buttresses to get out of the car, they are pretty deep - certainly compared to the stock seats. Anyone used to more race-oriented seats would fit this completely normal, but FWIW. What I do is pull myself up and out using the A-pillar gutter.

I had also looked at Recaro RS (not the LS) a long time ago - but I'm glad I didn't go there ! ;-)

jb205 - let me know if you want any measurements, e.g. seat to headliner. I think you were wanting this ?

Cheers
Neil

·
Registered
104 Posts
I plan on putting these in my '72
Hot Rod and Race Car Vintage Seats

A buddy has them in his Datsun 510 and I like them.

My aunt has the seats out of a 308 Ferrari (early 90's I think) in her '74 GTV and they fit (look and actual fit) perfectly. I almost wish I could find a nice set to put in my car instead of the "race" type seat.

·
Super Moderator
11,660 Posts
I plan on putting these in my '72
Hot Rod and Race Car Vintage Seats.
I generally dislike aftermarket seats in Alfas, but have to admit that those seats look pretty good. I'm doubly impressed that they even offer brackets for Alfa Romeos! And that they spelled "Alfa Romeo" correctly on their website.

My choice would be the "GT40" style, with the grommets, rather than the grey cloth or houndstooth (yuk)

Do these seats fold forward? If not, you are losing access to the space behind the seats. Unless that space is already lost to a roll bar, you may regret blocking it off.

The keys with mounting any aftermarket seat into an Alfa are:

- Shoehorning it into the space on the passenger side. The distance between the driveshaft tunnel and outer sill is quite narrow.

- Making sure the brackets don't position it too high. Many aftermarket seats are designed for much taller/wider cars, like BMW's.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Those seats look a little S&M to me with those chrome round grommets and black leather.

Here are some OEM replica seats that I'll be leaning towards when the time comes. I wont have a back seat.

·
Super Moderator
11,660 Posts
I wont have a back seat.
Maybe you won't have little passengers with little legs trying to sit back there, but there is some volume behind the driver's seat. It's a shame not to be able to access that space - it's pretty awkward trying to load ice chests, suitcases, grocery bags, etc. over non-folding seats. And, it isn't as an Alfa GT has a huge trunk - don't write off that storage space behind the seats too quickly.

Those seats look a little S&M to me with those chrome round grommets and black leather.
Hmm, I see your point. Still, if the alternative is "houndstooth", I'd go with the S&M look.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Jay, in my case this car is a strict two seater no storage needed apart from the boot. Strictly a sunday 'hoon' car. Others who are considering OEM style with functionality may choose this folding option instead -

1 - 20 of 28 Posts