Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a restoration project I have detailed elsewhere on this bb (it will be a street/track car -- with emphasis on "track"), I am considering two possible seat choices.

The first is Kirkey Intermediate Layback Race aluminum seats, which would probably be best for the track use and not so great for longer driving trips. Another downside would be lack of adjustment (unless I am able to fit the sliders from the stock seats to these in some way). They are made in the U.S. and appear sturdy, a consideration should there be an accident. A pair will be delivered for less than $650, which is a stretch for my tight budget.

The other choice would be "Universal" fiberglass seats sold on the internet in pairs. On the plus side, and it is a significant plus, is that a pair of these sells for what one of the Kirkey's cost. They also appear a little more comfortable than the Kirkey seats, and they come with slider mechanisms. However, I have concern that they might be very flimsy and be a bit cheezy looking.

Anyone have experience with either of these?

By the way, the longer thread on the reconstruction is under the title, "Another Budget Rebuild." (And, yes, I know a pair of Sparko seats or other more expensive seats would be best -- but the reality is that even with this less expensive alternative, I will seriously bust the budget I assured my wife I'd meet.)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,747 Posts
Check out the Ultrashield Spec Miata seat from Welcome to SPS and Solotime!

$249.95 each. I just installed two in my Autocross Spider to replace a set of Corbeau seats that were too wide at the shoulder "wings".

What type of Alfa do you have?. A lot of aftermarket seats result in the seating position way too high; especially if mounted on top of the sliding seat tracks. I can provide details of my seat track modification if you are interested.

For a restoration project I have detailed elsewhere on this bb (it will be a street/track car -- with emphasis on "track"), I am considering two possible seat choices.

The first is Kirkey Intermediate Layback Race aluminum seats, which would probably be best for the track use and not so great for longer driving trips. Another downside would be lack of adjustment (unless I am able to fit the sliders from the stock seats to these in some way). They are made in the U.S. and appear sturdy, a consideration should there be an accident. A pair will be delivered for less than $650, which is a stretch for my tight budget.

The other choice would be "Universal" fiberglass seats sold on the internet in pairs. On the plus side, and it is a significant plus, is that a pair of these sells for what one of the Kirkey's cost. They also appear a little more comfortable than the Kirkey seats, and they come with slider mechanisms. However, I have concern that they might be very flimsy and be a bit cheezy looking.

Anyone have experience with either of these?

By the way, the longer thread on the reconstruction is under the title, "Another Budget Rebuild." (And, yes, I know a pair of Sparko seats or other more expensive seats would be best -- but the reality is that even with this less expensive alternative, I will seriously bust the budget I assured my wife I'd meet.)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,187 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
837 Posts
Sparco also has the Sprint 5 FIA approved seat which costs $319 on their web site.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, more choices

George, the Spec Miata seats look very interesting. How about comfort? Would they work for a few hours on the highway?

The Sprint 5 seats also will fit the budget (found them cheapest at Amazon with free shipping). It appears they might be fairly comfortable for longer road trips. And the steel frame, while still light weight, offers a safety plus.

Yes, George, I'd be very interested in your seat track modification methods. You gave me some good advice on roll-bar installation, which I took. However, my roll bar still fits under the top, so a low seating position will be very important.

Thanks again for all the input. This bb is truly helpful. Here's a photo of the roll bar installation. Note that it is back a little further than stock Auto Power, as well as almost two inches higher. With a lower seat, I should just squeeze under most track requirements -- which is why an aftermarket seat is necessary.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,747 Posts
We just returned from a 2 day Divisional Championship autocross, with the new spec Miata seats installed. Initial comments: very good in locating both drivers; I bought the 15 inch width. The seat bottom is considerably shorter than the old Corbreau seats but seems to provide more room for our legs. I can't comment on highway driving, but a friend who travels in his Corbeau seats pronounced the spec Miata seat has better back support.

For seat tracks, I reversed the right and left side and spaced the tracks further apart so the seat bottom fit between rather than on top. I promise pictures shortly.

George, the Spec Miata seats look very interesting. How about comfort? Would they work for a few hours on the highway?

The Sprint 5 seats also will fit the budget (found them cheapest at Amazon with free shipping). It appears they might be fairly comfortable for longer road trips. And the steel frame, while still light weight, offers a safety plus.

Yes, George, I'd be very interested in your seat track modification methods. You gave me some good advice on roll-bar installation, which I took. However, my roll bar still fits under the top, so a low seating position will be very important.

Thanks again for all the input. This bb is truly helpful. Here's a photo of the roll bar installation. Note that it is back a little further than stock Auto Power, as well as almost two inches higher. With a lower seat, I should just squeeze under most track requirements -- which is why an aftermarket seat is necessary.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We just returned from a 2 day Divisional Championship autocross, with the new spec Miata seats installed. Initial comments: very good in locating both drivers; I bought the 15 inch width. The seat bottom is considerably shorter than the old Corbreau seats but seems to provide more room for our legs. I can't comment on highway driving, but a friend who travels in his Corbeau seats pronounced the spec Miata seat has better back support.

For seat tracks, I reversed the right and left side and spaced the tracks further apart so the seat bottom fit between rather than on top. I promise pictures shortly.

Thanks for the feedback on the seats. I've moved these to the top of my list and am ready to order.

In terms of seat width: I'm 5'11" and weigh 185, with a waist that hovers around 38, I measured between thighs as some vendors suggest and come up with a 16-inch seat. Does this sound right?

I think I understand what you've done on the tracks, but do look forward to a photo or two.

·
Premium Member
3,747 Posts
Sorry for the delay. Here's a description and photos:

1. I removed the adjustable seat tracks from the long raised mounts welded to the floor pan, then bought two 1/8 x 2 steel straps to fit across between the front and rear mounting holes and fastened these to the original mounts.

2. Each steel strap is long enough so the end projects outward from the original mounting holes, and allows the seat tracks to be mounted far enough apart that the seat fits between the tracks. This lowers the seat by the height of the tracks

3. There isn't room for the track with fore and aft adjustment to be moved outward from it's original , so it must be mounted on the outside, and the adjusting lever heated and bent in the other direction to clear the inside of the rocker panel.

4. The front cross strap is just flat, but I heated and bent a double 90 degree angle in each end of the rear cross strap so it is then lower that the rear of the seat tracks and the seat is mounted further lower by the amount of the offset.

5. I added small headed bolts upward on the seat tracks and used another cross strap at the rear of the seat (as you know, you have to drill your own holes). This strap sits on a nut on the bolt in the seat track, and allows some variation in the attachment angle. I made two brackets with 90 degree bends that bolt to the front cross strap and drilled several holes in the vertical leg so I could adjust the seat rake.

Thanks for the feedback on the seats. I've moved these to the top of my list and am ready to order....I think I understand what you've done on the tracks, but do look forward to a photo or two.

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, mucho!

These photos are very timely.

I now understand what you did. My seats are 16-inches (and I think your's are 15), so I have an issue with there being a half inch less space on each side.

And the release mechanism on mine is on the inside of both tracks. There isn't room to reverse them to put release mechanics on the outside and have it still function. So, I may disable one and then rig a lever on the other in the manner you did. Right now that's a minor issue.

Thanks for the tutorial. A very slick solution! I'm off to the steel supplier to buy some stock now.

Larry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts