Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
I've never seen one, but the ebay seller says it's a "TEC ELETROMOTIVE" system. Doing a Google search on that got me to: Total Engine Control (TEC) | Electromotive

There are a number of these aftermarket electronic fuel injection kits on the market. The "Engine Management" section of the BB has threads discussing these systems - dunno if any pertain specifically to the TEC product.

The installation on this GTV looks well done, but it is strictly a one-off, home-built thing. While the car probably runs well, any issues or maintenance would require the new owner to figure out what the original builder had done. Not arguing against buying the car, but be aware that you would be taking over someone else's science project.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
An Alfa with Webers is a bit like a computer running Windows. It works OK most of the time, but you need to fiddle with it on a regular basis.

An Alfa with Spica injection is like using a Mac; it "always" works great, but when it doesn't you need an expert.

An Alfa with aftermarket injection like this one is like running Linux on your PC. You're on your own.

·
Administrator
12,565 Posts
An Alfa with Webers is a bit like a computer running Windows. It works OK most of the time, but you need to fiddle with it on a regular basis.
Completely incorrect. Once set correctly you never need to touch them.

The only thing I've ever had happen is the jets sometimes need to be cleaned but that is called servicing, and probably indicates my fuel filter should have been replaced.
Pete

·
Registered
1,351 Posts

The only thing I've ever had happen is the jets sometimes need to be cleaned but that is called servicing, and probably indicates my fuel filter should have been replaced.
Pete
Not if you travel to a different altitude, or live in a place with wide seasonal temperature changes... It always amazes me how my Alfa (Webers/factory jetting) can run decently with minimal warm up time, without using the cold running gizmo. Means it runs too rich 95% of the time. Which is why an Alfa with Spica injection gets 10% better mileage than the same Alfa with carbs... and programmable EFI would most likely get even better with feedback from an oxygen sensor.

But it's probably academic the way we run these cars today.

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
Yea! And Weber doesn't arbitrarily terminate support for a series just so they can sell you replacements!

But all kidding aside, I do like yvesmontreal's analogy. It may not be perfect, but comparing Linux to the TEC system in that GTV does illustrate what's in store for the car's next owner.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I wouldn't have used the windows analogy with webers--maybe dos. Stable and not very complicated. It may not automatically adjust from sea level to pikes peak but so what. I also have issues :cool:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Yea! And Weber doesn't arbitrarily terminate support for a series just so they can sell you replacements!

But all kidding aside, I do like yvesmontreal's analogy. It may not be perfect, but comparing Linux to the TEC system in that GTV does illustrate what's in store for the car's next owner.
Analogies have their limitations. Webers will work forever without any support. Spica and EFI won't.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts