Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to ditch the three-bar buttons for the horn on my S3's factory steering wheel. The ring inside the wheel is damaged, but I don't really care for this setup anyway. It seems to me that it would be pretty simple to set up a horn button in the plastic round center cap. Does anyone know of a product that would fit the bill? I can do without the Alfa logo if I have to, but I was really thinking of a more or less drop-in replacement for the factory center cap that would allow the placement of the Alfa logo.

I was originally going to just rig something up myself, but looking at the cap, I see no robust way to do that without extra parts.

·
Registered
612 Posts
than do not throw away old parts please... they may be valuable for somebody else... (for example... ME :) if I will be able to pull that steering wheel finally...)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heh, I'll be sure to hang on to them. For that matter I'll send ya the whole arm/ring assembly for free if you really need it....though I suspect the parts that are broke on yours are the same parts broken on mine (plastic ring that goes over the springs).

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
You might get away with adapting something from the Grant wheel/horn kit line.

They have a plate w/spring that thier centercap snaps onto making for a button-in-the-middle type horn push. (and many parts counters have them on the shelf so you can actually look at one first. Kit # 6500 should be the one I think, though it's designed to mount one of thier signature series wheels on a spider, it will have a center button horn kit of some sort built into it)

Still, it's not a big deal to re-work the factory ring. I re-did mine by adding in a rubber vacuum hose ring with a 14ga solid strand wire inside it to keep the shape around the inside of the housing that did a very good job of pressing the cracked parts of the ring back down and made the buttons able to activate the horn way sooner with far less pushing. Like just bumping any of the buttons sets it off.

I went that way onnaconna I like the buttons out by the rim of the wheel, but then again, by the time I actually need to use the horn it's too time consuming to let go of the wheel and reach all the way to the middle to get after it. (I prefer to keep both hands on the wheel unless I'm climbing in, out, or shifting, but then again most of the driving I do involves steering, not tootling the horn and waving at the peasants :) )

edited to add links

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hey dabigboy and he3r0!
I want to thank you guys for trying to help me out with my steering wheel problem.:) Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to use a Hellebore wheel on my car and so I am stuck with not one but two Hellebore wheels. You heard me right, I bought TWO wheels, one with a center cap and one without.

(I think this should be posted on the confess your mess thread.:eek:)

Anyway, I wan't going to sell them right away, but if either or both of you would like to buy one I would give you a good deal.

Drop me a PM if your interested. I'd like to see these go to you guys.:)

Attachments

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Query: Would that be because you have a splined hub instead of a keyed one? (I kinda have a suspicion that changed when they went monopod)

Still, if you've got a freindly custom machine shop in your area and the diameter of the hub hole in wheel is correct, you might get splines cut into one of those wheels for not a whole lot of $. (or they may ask many $$'s if they're evil)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Posted by Tifosi:
Query: Would that be because you have a splined hub instead of a keyed one? (I kinda have a suspicion that changed when they went monopod)
No Tifosi, they use a new fangled system for hooking up the horn.
I could be driving with the Hellebore today except I need to have a working horn for state inspection which is do at the end of this month.

See this thread for the whole sorry story.
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=48548

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Alfa used the keyed steering shaft at least till 1989. I know that all S4 Spiders have the splined shaft, but I have never had a chance to look at steering/steering shaft on S3.5 (S3 w/ Motronic) so I am not sure which type do the S3.5 Spiders have.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The 3.5 Series has a keyed shaft. I know because it took forever and 4 hands to get the key reinstalled. There is a spring that pushes on the back of it making it very difficult to reinstall. Its a two person job unless they make a special tool for it.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Hey dabigboy and he3r0!
I want to thank you guys for trying to help me out with my steering wheel problem.:) Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to use a Hellebore wheel on my car and so I am stuck with not one but two Hellebore wheels. You heard me right, I bought TWO wheels, one with a center cap and one without.

(I think this should be posted on the confess your mess thread.:eek:)

Anyway, I wan't going to sell them right away, but if either or both of you would like to buy one I would give you a good deal.

Drop me a PM if your interested. I'd like to see these go to you guys.:)
Hey Dana, im sorry to hera bout your decision, IF I can pull my steering wheel, I`ll be able to fix it, if I would not be able to pull it... well I would not need another steering wheel :( BUT... your fix is easy and im suprised that you have not tried it... (you have 2 spare steering wheels!)
So anyway, Thank you for your generous offe... and I`m off to search for that molding chanel for my top :( later i`ll try to pull my Steering wheel again....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts