Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm toying with the idea of installing aftermarket oil pressure and voltmeter gauges in the Verde. I know - about time:eek:

Completely clueless as to what would be an affordable but decent manufacture of the pair. I’m also open to suggestions as to where others have located such in their cars. As usual, pictures would be GREAT!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
284 Posts
You want an additional OP gauge than what is already in the cluster? How about oil temp? I too have been toying with the volt meter idea as well. I'm usually partial to VDO.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Depends on how bad you want them!

How attached are you to your christmas tree flashing "ARC" panel?

Not a Milano, but my GTV6 center stack (very similar location) replaced with reliable, affordable, and easy to fit (and not bad looking in my mind) AutoMeter Z-series. Illumination can be made to match Verde or Alfa stock colors (red/orange for Verde, green for regular Milano/GTV6). They don't look too modern or wild (no white faces or blue LEDs or bright silver bezels) and are very visible night or day.

There is lots of room behind the ARC. If you're married to the ARC, you may want to use the driver air vent (the tiny mostly useless one between the window and dashboard) as a place for that one "crucial" gauge.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
just to tempt the brain a little, iv got a spare car that iv got alot of ideas to try things on.
now the gauges are know for being **** or unreliable, so i though one day that i might see if i could retrofit aftermarket gauges to the stock facia so the you never see anything look aftermarket [make sense? putting gauges behind the factory orange panel, keep the original needles and faces].

i presume this would mean cracking open a set of gauges and voiding warranty etc etc, and bit of fiddling to get the needle to point in the right places. a fairly hefty project, but would be worth it becuase i really like the original 3lt dash.

its only ever been a though i had that id like to try one day, if i find out how to get off my ***...

EDIT: also, finding gauges with the right sweep or ration would be a problem

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
just to tempt the brain a little, iv got a spare car that iv got alot of ideas to try things on.
now the gauges are know for being **** or unreliable, so i though one day that i might see if i could retrofit aftermarket gauges to the stock facia so the you never see anything look aftermarket [make sense? putting gauges behind the factory orange panel, keep the original needles and faces].

i presume this would mean cracking open a set of gauges and voiding warranty etc etc, and bit of fiddling to get the needle to point in the right places. a fairly hefty project, but would be worth it becuase i really like the original 3lt dash.

its only ever been a though i had that id like to try one day, if i find out how to get off my ***...

EDIT: also, finding gauges with the right sweep or ration would be a problem
If you were going to do that, I'd suggest looking at gauges that use stepper motors. These should be able to be calibrated fairly easily.
Failing that, the 75's didn't exactly have a nice gauge layout. Not like, say the FIAT 124 Coupe's (I really like the Veglia Borletti gauges), so you could just bight the bullet and go stand alone gauges or raid these for there stepper motors that should be calibratable to suit your needs.
Either way, Gauges, Custom Gauges, Tachometers, Speedometers, Shift Light, Pod

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You want an additional OP gauge than what is already in the cluster? How about oil temp? I too have been toying with the volt meter idea as well. I'm usually partial to VDO.
The oil temp was an option also - albeit a little further down the ladder. I've seen 3 pod setup for the three from Advance/Autozone but they seem less than correct for the Verde.

BTW - where would you get the oil temp? Oil level sender's location?:confused:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How attached are you to your christmas tree flashing "ARC" panel?

Not a Milano, but my GTV6 center stack (very similar location) replaced with reliable, affordable, and easy to fit (and not bad looking in my mind) AutoMeter Z-series. Illumination can be made to match Verde or Alfa stock colors (red/orange for Verde, green for regular Milano/GTV6). They don't look too modern or wild (no white faces or blue LEDs or bright silver bezels) and are very visible night or day.

There is lots of room behind the ARC. If you're married to the ARC, you may want to use the driver air vent (the tiny mostly useless one between the window and dashboard) as a place for that one "crucial" gauge.

As much as I'm not a fan of the ARC, it keeps the dash complete. I do like the idea of the air vent - good spot for 1 gauge. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
If I was going to make a change I would go with a Stack single display unit, not too hard because the whole instrument pod comes off so easily, but expensive.
Ive never understood the need for a volt gauge, either the charging system works or it
doesnt right?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
volt gauges have thier place.

got a killer huge sound system? well running 13v compared to 14.4 can make the difference of several hundred rms in power, sometimes in real serious amps it could be over 1000rms difference. trust me, iv been there. just last week, i found that out the hard way, but now iv got the bass to flex the rear window in my work car, a 1lt diahatsu charade. iv gone from bass notes that shut the whole elec system down to wowzers [think headlights that strobe on off to the bass lol, now they just dim a little].

light weight battery setups? you can kill a light battery easy if its only just big enough for the car, so a gauge will let you know when its on the way out before you kill it totally.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
volt gauges have thier place.

got a killer huge sound system? well running 13v compared to 14.4 can make the difference of several hundred rms in power, sometimes in real serious amps it could be over 1000rms difference. trust me, iv been there. just last week, i found that out the hard way, but now iv got the bass to flex the rear window in my work car, a 1lt diahatsu charade. iv gone from bass notes that shut the whole elec system down to wowzers [think headlights that strobe on off to the bass lol, now they just dim a little].

light weight battery setups? you can kill a light battery easy if its only just big enough for the car, so a gauge will let you know when its on the way out before you kill it totally.
Good point, if you have a massive load I can see where you might need to know, I was thinking more along the lines of normal driving.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Ive never understood the need for a volt gauge, either the charging system works or it
doesnt right?
I've had an alternator die in an extra special way, where the charge light would go out (it would light up with the ignition on but would go off with the engine running), but putting a multi-meter across the battery showed wasn't charging. Getting left strandard because you've unknowingly drained the battery isn't much fun. But that is a pretty rare occurance to have no charge and no charge light

1 - 12 of 12 Posts