Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My turbo spider needs better instruments...

I am running wastegate actuated boost at the moment, but will need a boost gauge once I start tuning boost. My Air/Fuel gauge is currently mounted on a pod to the left of the steering wheel. However, since my HVAC is already gone, the vents aren't doing anything other than taking up space. Thought they would be a perfect place for some gauges (thinking AFR/Boost/Oil Temp).

Anyhoo... Has anybody had luck with aftermarket gauges installed in the vent spots? Is there a commonly available size that fits or did you construct a shim of some sort? Alternatively, is it possible to backdate to the early S3 upper trim piece that is designed to have 3 gauges in there? If so, what size gauges would fit in that space?

·
Registered
22 Posts
S3 Vent gauge

Here is an air/ fuel mixture I purchased on Amazon by GloShift. It fits the vent opening perfectly. No mods, just run the wiring out the back of the vents behind the dash.

alfaguage_0545.jpg

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is an air/ fuel mixture I purchased on Amazon by GloShift. It fits the vent opening perfectly. No mods, just run the wiring out the back of the vents behind the dash.

View attachment 735161
Thanks. What size is that? I tried a 2 5/8 boost gauge and while it would fit with some cutting behind the panel, it looks comically large.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
A turbo! In a Spider?

OK nealric, in the immortal words of Ricky Ricardo, "you got some 'splainin to do!" :grin2:

If you think you can sneak in here and casually ask about a boost gauge for your turboed Spider, without attracting any attention, then quietly slip away, you've got another think coming! :wink2:

I used the BB's awesome search machine and looked up all your posts since you joined in 2014 and found not word one about a turbo!

I'll even suggest a title for your new thread: "My Spider has a turbo!".

BTW, how is everything from the rear main seal back holding up?

My GMC Duramax has an Exhaust Gas Temperature guage and you may find one useful as well. Let me know what heck the readings mean :smile2:.

And in the event I totally missed your earlier scribblings, I shall do my standard Rosanne Rosannadanna cop-out.

All the best.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Thanks! I'll plow through it later!

Oooops!

I only searched the Spider Forum.

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
Now I have to ask how does your spider run being turbo charged im looking at doing that or going with supercharging. By the way Greg Gordon's book is great. Im also going to be changing to Meqasquirt on my 84 spider can you let me know how that is doing for you

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Spider runs great with a turbo. With a Garett GT28, boost starts building around 2500rpm. Needs to be above 3500 for full effect, but the spider definitely pulls. I've stepped the back end out around corners being caught off guard by the power. It's probably going to be a while until I start experimenting with more boost.

Supercharger would be nice too. Probably less power overall, but should be more punchy down low. If you really get ambitious, there is always the twin charge option :)

I haven't really touched the Megasquirt since I bought the car. But I recently downloaded tuner studio and tried connecting. Until I up the boost, the car doesn't really need much tuning, except for some cold start work when temps are in the 40s or lower (not that common here in South Texas).

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

the size is 2 1/16 Inch (52mm)

here is the link GlowShift Performance Gauge Series
Thanks for the help. Ended up ordering VDO gauges in that size since they are closer to an OEM look. For now, just boost/voltage/oil pressure (to measure closer to the turbo) are going in. Already have AFR mounted in a separate pod.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts