Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am researching possible methods for installing an Aeromotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator on my 1985 GTV6.

I am running larger GTV6 style custom runners, and need to spread the stock fuel rail apart a little bit. By removing the stock FPR, I should be able to get the clearance I need and then fit in a rubber hose in its place.

Has anyone on this forum successfully installed an aftermarket FPR? I am just looking for some pictures and advice, and maybe some how to's. The only pics I have were done by another Alfabb member. Note where his FPR is, and there is no Stock FPR anymore. Any info by anyone who has done this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Once again, this is not my engine bay but some pictures I found on here.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Nice Pics of someone elses motor!

You shouldn't have to remove the stock FPR just because you're widening the rails. The stock one is hard connected, but as you can see, you can bridge with fuel hose and clamps (though the less, the better). Stock FPR keeps pressure at 43psi. Stock Fuel pump runs at 100 methinks. This older system requires a return hose back to the tank. That's where the FPR is located (note braided hose coming off the top of the stock unit in front of the plenum). If you want more fuel, you can raise the pressure a little either by modifying the stock FPR (by shimming the spring) or installing another behind it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice Pics of someone elses motor!

You shouldn't have to remove the stock FPR just because you're widening the rails. The stock one is hard connected, but as you can see, you can bridge with fuel hose and clamps (though the less, the better). Stock FPR keeps pressure at 43psi. Stock Fuel pump runs at 100 methinks. This older system requires a return hose back to the tank. That's where the FPR is located (note braided hose coming off the top of the stock unit in front of the plenum). If you want more fuel, you can raise the pressure a little either by modifying the stock FPR (by shimming the spring) or installing another behind it.

I see what your saying, I will take a look at the fuel rail and see if that will work for me. I dont really "need" the adjustable FPR. I just figured it would make things easier. Thanks!

I was just hoping for some people to post close up pictures so I could see the different methods.

The person whose engine bay that is above is not a regular around here. I sent him a message, Im sure he will get it sometime.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Those pictures are of a fine looking engine. I'd love to here what all the tuner has done to her. Looks like he has switched to missing tooth ignition and eliminated the distributor and all its boxes. I see coils on the fire wall. Neat job of routing the wires. The plenum is beautiful.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Totally off topic... sorry, but...

I have to agree - the plenum is beautiful. Just what exactly do you use to clean and maintain the aluminium to keep it looking like that? Is it coated? Also, is that a custom exhaust or an off the shelf set up?

Again sorry for the deviation from the topic.
Cheers
Marty

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have to agree - the plenum is beautiful. Just what exactly do you use to clean and maintain the aluminium to keep it looking like that? Is it coated? Also, is that a custom exhaust or an off the shelf set up?

Again sorry for the deviation from the topic.
Cheers
Marty
The plenum was sand blasted, and painted with an aluminum spray paint. Then it was clearcoated. The paint that was used, specifically mentioned that it does not affect heat dissipation. My friend has a transmission rebuild shop and he uses it on freshly cleaned and rebuilt transmission cases.

The headers are indeed custom and were made by Glenwood Motors in SA. I think they are pretty old, but look and work great. They were a tight fit, had to relocate brake lines, fuel lines and coolant lines.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
43 psi was definitely sticking in my head. I do believe that's what the injectors are rated to work with. But when you're right, you're right mjr...
Fuel Pressure Test.jpg

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
The Bosch 0-280-150-105 injector is rated at 188-190cc min. @ 43.5psi.

AvorioVeloce, You say you are going to install larger "GTV6 style" intake runners - do you mean the Sperry Valve-werks style tapered runners? I wouldn't bother with that untill you install cams. Heck, I wouldn't have installed headers untill I've installed cams! -Nice headers they are nonetheless.

I don't know what the limit you can bump pressure on hose-barbed type injectors, but I imagine 20%. And that might only get you a few percent more flow, if that.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The Bosch 0-280-150-105 injector is rated at 188-190cc min. @ 43.5psi.

AvorioVeloce, You say you are going to install larger "GTV6 style" intake runners - do you mean the Sperry Valve-werks style tapered runners? I wouldn't bother with that untill you install cams. Heck, I wouldn't have installed headers untill I've installed cams! -Nice headers they are nonetheless.

I don't know what the limit you can bump pressure on hose-barbed type injectors, but I imagine 20%. And that might only get you a few percent more flow, if that.
I forgot to mention that the engine has Glenwood Motors Groupe 1 Cams. I got the intake runners and matching plenum from JJ. The headers, cams and intake runners are a great setup. My seat of the pants dyno says this is way better than the 164S setup I had previously. Bottom end torque is diminished a little bit, but the top end power more than makes up for it!!!

Because of the girth of the runners, the injectors are slightly off from the stock runner locations, and its causing the little rubber fuel injector hose to bend a little too much. I just wanted to tweak the fuel rail a bit to help with the fuel injector hose alignment. The stock fuel rail pressure is fine for my application. I was just thinking of simple ways to make the fuel rail wider.

In the picture above with the red intake, the stock fuel pressure regulator was removed and a hose replaced it. That would allow me to get some more width out of the fuel rail I believe. I would use an aftermarket FPR, but set to stock fuel pressure most likely.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I see. Based on everything else you've done to this motor, your fuel rail fitment issue seems trivial.

On the stock unit, the fuel comes-in at the rear and runs down both rails (Y fashion) exiting at the front past the FPR. What Brad did (I think) was run it around the rail with FPR and return exiting at the rear near near where the aux injector would be.

The whole reason for building that custom plenum was because he had a couple of cylinders running lean. Maybe it was due to the way they modified the fuel rail. Of course he's running aftermarket engine management. With the stock system, the injectors are firing all the time (duration controlled by ECU), so this could possibly be an issue for you if you run the fuel down one rail crossing over to the other (in series).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts