Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched here and elsewhere on the web and it seems that there is no reasonably easy way for the DIY mechanic to reset the oil change mileage and cal counters. Is this really true? It almost forces one to go to a dealer for an oil change?

I'm a life long Alfa guy and have owned and maintained many different Alfas but if this is true, it's enough to stop me from every buying another new Alfa.

Tell me I'm missing something please.

2018 Stelvio
1986 Spider

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
My understanding is there is a method to reset. It has been covered in past threads. I must be getting old so I take it in to the dealer which also verifies info for my warranty.
cheers, Jon

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
Local dealer wants $50 to reset
cheers, Jon

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
Sounds like I'm correct. Shame on Alfa. I won't buy another.
I am sure other auto dealers have similar charges for work done and that is the dealership option, not necessarily Alfa Romeo. It would’t cause me to not consider Alfa Romeo on my next purchase. I am very happy with our Stelvio.
cheers, Jon

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am sure other auto dealers have similar charges for work done and that is the dealership option, not necessarily Alfa Romeo. It would’t cause me to not consider Alfa Romeo on my next purchase. I am very happy with our Stelvio.
cheers, Jon
I don't see it that way at all. Every other car I've ever had (including Alfas) has a way for the owner to
reset after an oil change. Artificially forcing me back to the dealer is obnoxious. It's totally Alfas
doing, not the dealers.

I believe I read later modes years don't even allow 3rd party diagnostic computers to reset it.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
My Dealer charges $0.00 for reset. Perhaps that is because I have brought donuts or wings, and have taken the service manager and tech to lunch. Other little gifts as well. These things have paid dividends at every dealership experience not just my Alfa Maserati store. I bet that I have the most updated ( consistently) new Giulia in PA.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My Dealer charges $0.00 for reset. Perhaps that is because I have brought donuts or wings, and have taken the service manager and tech to lunch. Other little gifts as well. These things have paid dividends at every dealership experience not just my Alfa Maserati store. I bet that I have the most updated ( consistently) new Giulia in PA.
Sounds like you paid a lot more than $0.00.

I prefer to do the work myself and then reward myself with donuts, wings and gifts.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Sounds like you paid a lot more than $0.00.

I prefer to do the work myself and then reward myself with donuts, wings and gifts.
I get a lot more than resets. Well worth every penny.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,447 Posts
The MultiEcuScan software is not expensive and is useful for a lot more than oil change resets!

I consider it an essential tool for owning a new Alfa.

Reactions: andylarry

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The MultiEcuScan software is not expensive and is useful for a lot more than oil change resets!

I consider it an essential tool for owning a new Alfa.
I thought I read there was some encryption that prevented late model Stelvios from being reset with these tools.

·
Registered
8,674 Posts
FWIW... I just know I'd screw up something on a modern computerized car besides tire pressures and gas fill ups.. Any car. I won't touch my 2018 Atlas.. Once a year to the dealer is ok with me. It's part of the territory, IMO. The AR dealer network is so sparse ( 90 miles away, here) that it would be enough of a PITA not to own one.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,447 Posts
I thought I read there was some encryption that prevented late model Stelvios from being reset with these tools.
There is a SGW (Security Gateway Module) that prevents writing directly to the ECUs, which was installed mid-year 2018 and later. You can still access the information, but it prevents these tools from writing any information back to the car (including these resets).

However, there is also a simple SGW bypass you can install, which allows the tools to function normally and reset the oil change indicator, clear codes, etc.

Reactions: andylarry

·
Premium Member
9,861 Posts
I've searched here and elsewhere on the web and it seems that there is no reasonably easy way for the DIY mechanic to reset the oil change mileage and cal counters. Is this really true? It almost forces one to go to a dealer for an oil change?

I'm a life long Alfa guy and have owned and maintained many different Alfas but if this is true, it's enough to stop me from every buying another new Alfa.

2018 Stelvio
1986 Spider
You will need at least the interface and can use the free software. Otherwise if you plan on doing more. Buy the kit and the software. SGW bypass for cars 02/2018>

·
Registered
585 Posts

2018 Stelvio
1986 Spider
I just reset the oil change indicator on my 2019.

turn on power but dont start. ( keep foot off brake pedal) Press accelerator pedal to floor 6 times with in 10 seconds but dont slam it. when done shut off power, open door, shut door and start. toook me 3 tries to get the pace of pushing pedal down but it did work.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I just reset the oil change indicator on my 2019.

turn on power but dont start. ( keep foot off brake pedal) Press accelerator pedal to floor 6 times with in 10 seconds but dont slam it. when done shut off power, open door, shut door and start. toook me 3 tries to get the pace of pushing pedal down but it did work.
Did it reset the mileage and the date (days to next oil service), as viewed on the infotainment screen?

·
Registered
585 Posts
It did not reset days to service, it did reset oil change notice in center cluster

1 - 18 of 18 Posts