Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1741 - 1760 of 1797 Posts

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,741
Way back around post #1207 (page 61) I briefed the restoration of the lower seat bottoms followed by the hinge mechanisms.....but the seat uprights I left out. I mentioned then than the seat backs were going to be a challenge....and I can confidently report that that was an understatement. The challenge in getting these areas right was compounded by the deterioration and poor condition of the original seat foam in conjunction with an upholstery kit that would have been based on different seat foam…..so a lot of fiddling around with stuffing material and foam addition was required at the top end of the side bolsters. This was a real challenge and I guess I over packed and over compensated which resulted in unevenness and lumpy appearance as this photo shows. But I was so tired of the exercise that I left them as is at the time .

sed 143.jpg

Fast forward to two weeks ago…..whereby I had to decide to install them as is….or correct them. If you guessed that I redid them…you were right. They just bothered me too much ….so I disassembled them once more …this second go round I was able to achieve a better result (not perfect….but a lot better). I also finished them off with the headrests and new plastic guides at the headrest posts.

IMG_5992a.jpg

I hope to never have to do a set of flying buttress seats again.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Fast forward to two weeks ago…..whereby I had to decide to install them as is….or correct them. If you guessed that I redid them…you were right. They just bothered me too much ….so I disassembled them once more …this second go round I was able to achieve a better result (not perfect….but a lot better). I also finished them off with the headrests and new plastic guides at the headrest posts.

I hope to never have to do a set of flying buttress seats again.
And I'm about to start using the CA kit. Now I'm terrified. Those headrests I gather are an addition by a PO.? My Irish car has only the original on the passenger seat.
I just finished my door card which looks totally different to the other side which I recommissioned, so wonder if I'm better with two fully matching or one where the vein and colour is completely faded but original. Whatever, I just hope it's as good as yours Rossano.

·
Registered
1968 1750 GTV USA Bianco Spino
132 Posts
And I'm about to start using the CA kit. Now I'm terrified. Those headrests I gather are an addition by a PO.? My Irish car has only the original on the passenger seat.
I just finished my door card which looks totally different to the other side which I recommissioned, so wonder if I'm better with two fully matching or one where the vein and colour is completely faded but original. Whatever, I just hope it's as good as yours Rossano.
US version (only) had those headrests.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,744
....Those headrests I gather are an addition by a PO.? My Irish car has only the original on the passenger seat........ Whatever, I just hope it's as good as yours Rossano.
Xenios is correct....my car is a 105.51 model for the US market and they had a different configuration than the Euro ones. Here's what the parts catalogues show for the two versions...

TAV157EU.JPG TAV157US.JPG

Fear not.....it's only a set of seats. I would recommend you attempt to do only one seat at a time to full completion. That way if you decide that the result is not to your satisfaction and want to have them done by an upholsterer....they'll at least have the untouched one as the reference to go by.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,746
The past week's activity was also focused on refreshing the Bosch wiper motor & mechanism. I think I assembled and reassembled it twice as the first time I did not spot the slight geometric difference in the main link which resulted in the links slightly rubbing with each other. But I'm glad this mechanism is finally done and functioning ..........this car is finally starting to come alive!

IMG_6098.JPG

IMG_6100.JPG

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Just to give some inspiration, attached picture is my 71 GTV 1750 in French blue with single stage oil base paint done in 1995. The color is still amazingly vibrant and it's in MINT shape. It is a Alfaholics GTV with many alfaholics upgrades with engine, tranny, brakes etc.

Keep up the great work.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,750 (Edited)
...Any tips on that handbrake gaiter? Can't get it to stay in place, it even lifted the veneer surround. Yours looks spot on.
The gaitor was attached in a similar way as the original except that whereas the factory used very short staples that were simply installed directly into the ABS plastic, I used longer staples that I bent over on the backside....I haven't noticed any movement on this at all so far. Note...I pre-drilled 1/16" diameter holes for the staples through the rubber and ABS.

panelli 035.jpg

As far as the veneer goes.....the first go round I tried securing the veneer directly to the ABS shell using 2 way tape. This did not hold up with exposure to summertime heat....it lifted off on it's own and left a sticky gooey residue on the surface.
The second go round I decided to bond the new veneer to the original (or what was left of the original veneer) which was partly water & heat & sunlight damaged....it was in rough condition .....

000_0011.JPG

I wanted to salvage a much as possible of it in order to use the original plastic backing which incorporates molded in retention studs.

IMG_5910.JPG

I trimmed down the width of the original veneer to make room for the new plastic edging....and splice & filled in the areas that no longer had any veneering left with other veneering material.

veneer.jpg

IMG_5911.JPG

I then bonded the new to the old.. using proper trim adhesive available from my local auto parts supplier...then used the mechanical fastening method as the original via the retaining spring clips (I believe they're called speed nuts or Tinnerman nuts). The original fastening method seems to be holding quite securely...

IMG_5914a.jpg

IMG_5913.JPG

·
Registered
1968 1750 GTV USA Bianco Spino
132 Posts
Thanks Rosano! That was a very thorough writeup. Hopefully I'll have time during the holidays to fix it properly.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
With the seats now installed....the interior is 99% complete with just the seat belts to resolve.

View attachment 1664174
I’ve been following your restoration in amazement and awe over the years. Your work and craftsmanship set a bar that is second to none. It’s quite apparent that you strive to reproduce every detail to the way Alfa would have made these cars. With in mind, I noticed something very minor with your B Pilar door seal. The seal falls short at the top and isn’t notch cut the way the factory cut them. (See photo below) You may very well know this. Unfortunately, the suppliers are pre-cutting these seals to the minimum length with no excess, so if you try to make the correct notice, the seal is short at the bottom. Keep up the great work, and hope you get her on the road soon!
91B7D5EE-75F3-471D-BCE1-6DE390C42BE1.jpeg

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,754
So
.....I noticed something very minor with your B Pilar door seal. The seal falls short at the top and isn’t notch cut the way the factory cut them. (See photo below) You may very well know this. ..... Keep up the great work, and hope you get her on the road soon...
Thanks for the kind words and for spotting that. As much as I strive to get things as close to original as possible.....I do go off mark every so often. Having the open end of that seal staring at me every time I open the door kind of bothered me as it looks rather unfinished so I attempted to create a bend on the seal by notching it and making a small horizontal portion....which in hindsight was not so successful due to the large gap between the pieces. I will spend a little more time on this area later on and will attempt to bridge that gap with some rubber. But you have an eye for detail as well.(y)

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,755
I need to replace the wiper seals next. My Bosch wiper arms are in very good condition and I was hoping to find 13" refill blades locally...but no luck. What brand refill blades have others found fits the bosch wiper arms correctly?

IMG_6129.JPG

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
I bought refills years ago from a Vintage British Car parts supplier.

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,961 Posts
I bought some of this stuff for my Anco red dot wiper blades. It's not the exact same profile and it's not quite as tall. I don't think I'll ever be using the wipers, so it may not really matter.

IMG_20201124_072326.jpg
IMG_20201124_072927.jpg
IMG_20201124_073047.jpg
IMG_20201124_073041.jpg

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,760
I bought some of this stuff for my Anco red dot wiper blades. It's not the exact same profile and it's not quite as tall. I don't think I'll ever be using the wipers, so it may not really matter.
I bought refills years ago from a Vintage British Car parts supplier.
Thanks gents....I'll keep that in mind should the ones I picked up not work.

1741 - 1760 of 1797 Posts