Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1581 - 1595 of 1595 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
yeah. I wasn't going to say anything. I'm sure you're sick of hearing compliments from us plebes :D

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,582 (Edited)
The slot in that new screw looks really deep. I would be afraid of breakage if it is torqued too much. Why not polish the original ones and re-use?
The OE ones are also very easy to break off the edges since those not being very deep ...there is less material engaged with the tip of the screw driver....happened to me on a couple of the screws. To remove the screws I had to drill out the end of the screw that was flared out making them all shorter than what I'd like to see. With new screws I was going to flare out the ends....I know some folks are going with Loctite only....so I might have to do the same...unless by some luck I can find the correct ones.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,585

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,586
One more detail out the way is the oil filter assembly. With Osso's very nice water slide decal and clear coat applied....it's a shame the filter will be hidden low in the engine bay.

100_6492c.jpg

IMG_4665.jpg

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,588
I can tell you really like that!....well me too. Now back to completing the engine.....I finished installation of the cylinder head and a new timing chain. I removed that water pump fan spacer that came with the car after some of you pointed out that it was required only with the aircon installation and sure enough, after I checked some photos of the engine during the teardown phase....I noted that the crankshaft had a double pulley (also the aircon version). I installed the correct single style pulley from a spare engine.

IMG_4724.jpg

·
Registered
211 Posts
Rossano it is looking like straight out of Arese, but please shout your self a new fan blade, the old yellow one is done and while your at it get the radiator overflow bottle too.
Tim

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,591
... but please shout your self a new fan blade, the old yellow one is done and while your at it get the radiator overflow bottle too....
....is that a used fan on the water pump? I encourage you to replace it with a new one. It's cheap insurance.
Gents..that blade is in fact a new one bought almost a decade ago...I see why you're pointing it out as the color did yellow a bit already. Then again...it might have been that way even back then....since I think it was a NOS one and not a repro. I'd have to search through my invoices to know for certain...suffice it say that there are no cracks or nicks on it at all...and is still flexible so I'm happy with it as is.

Engine wise...I'm still waiting for those throttle body screws to come in which is holding me up from finishing the TBI's..so I started the refurb of the Marelli distributor.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,592
I built a modified adapter for my generic engine stand so that it bolts to the side of the block at the engine mount point. With the back of the engine now fully accessible and clear.....I can finally mount a degree wheel to set the camshaft timing, finish installing the oil seal, flywheel and clutch.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,593
With engine side mounted on the stand, finally I was able to install the rear oil seal...

1 (2).jpg

...mount a degree wheel for timing the engine...

IMG_4801.jpg

...I made an adapter from a spark plug to mount my dial gage....was then able to set TDC accurately.

IMG_4800.jpg

...with TDC set...I zeroed the degree wheel....then mounted the dial gage to measure the valve lift per procedure outlined in the factory workshop manual. No surprises here....and it went rather quickly....thankfully all to within specs.

IMG_4805.jpg

Finished off the rear of the engine with installation of the clutch and friction plate..

IMG_4846b.jpg

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,594
To follow up and provide closure (NPI) on the TBI screws. The ones I ordered were a perfect fit...

IMG_4826.jpg

IMG_4835.jpg

...the ends were indeed slightly hollowed out to allow them to be peened over. I was able to do this by backing up the screw head with a screw bit mounted to an extension piece clamped in the vice. Though out of fear of over peening and possibly splitting the screw head....I was not very aggressive with this and didn't overdo it....so I also applied loctite for good measure as well.

IMG_4830.jpg

Finally ...the intake system is completed and mounted to the engine....next up is the air box.

1581 - 1595 of 1595 Posts