Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1481 - 1500 of 1595 Posts

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,481
More spectacular work!
Thanks Rich....question for you though.....what is the correct orientation for the fuel level gauge? Does it align longitudinally...or inb'd outb'd? I thought I took photos of this before tear down...but I just can't seems to find one photo showing this.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,483 (Edited)
The past few winter months have been crawling along and I've kept busy with the mechanicals. Starting with the differential....

100_3820.jpg
I'm not going to describe all the steps in rebuilding the diff ...there are few threads on the topic already and you can't beat the Alfa Romeo Shop Manual - Propeller Shaft/Rear Axle/Suspension for detail and photgraphs. Suffice it to say that after complete teardown, throrough cleaning, bead blasting the case..

IMG_3984.jpg

and carefully inspecting the bearings and races....I determined that the overall condition did not warrant replacing the bearings. The only adjustment was to the pinion shim which after checking the pre-load with the weighted lever needed to be ground down only a few thou. So for now only the seals needed to be replaced.

IMG_0142.jpg

If after driving it becomes apparent that bearings do need to be replaced.....I'll go the full rebuild route as outlined in the Shop manual.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,486 (Edited)
Thanks Yachtman. One item that has me wondering are the upper spring seat pans.

07.jpg

I notice that the springs seem not to fit as snugly as I had expected and it got me thinking that I need one of the spacers shown as item 3 in the parts manual perhaps? Might these spacers take up the radial gapping between the spring and the metal sprig seat? I did not find these spacers in my parts boxes ...hoping someone can shed some light on this item with a photo perhaps?

View attachment 1554030

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Rossano,

Those ITEM 3 pieces are required if you need to alter the ride height. They come in 3 different thicknesses, if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,488
Rossano,

Those ITEM 3 pieces are required if you need to alter the ride height. They come in 3 different thicknesses, if I recall correctly.
For the 69 model year...according to the parts book they come in 6,5mm, 11,5mm, 15,5mm and 21,5mm. Did you find that without these the springs are "loose" in the spring seat? and were these made in aluminum? I have no photos of these from my teardown stage of the restoration.

·
Out of the office!
11,286 Posts
For the 69 model year...according to the parts book they come in 6,5mm, 11,5mm, 15,5mm and 21,5mm. Did you find that without these the springs are "loose" in the spring seat? and were these made in aluminum? I have no photos of these from my teardown stage of the restoration.
I remember the springs felt like I could pull them out with one tug. BUT, the car was off the ground and the rear suspension in full droop.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,490
I remember the springs felt like I could pull them out with one tug. BUT, the car was off the ground and the rear suspension in full droop.
Yes they are weak at full extension.....but did you end up using these spacers then? Are they aluminum ?....any photos of these?

·
Out of the office!
11,286 Posts
Yes they are weak at full extension.....but did you end up using these spacers then? Are they aluminum ?....any photos of these?
My car did not have spacers when I got it and I did not add them when I did the restoration. The best part is I used the same springs that came on the car when I bought it. They are OE.

I would not worry about this until you get the car finished and on the ground.

·
Registered
11,682 Posts
You have installed the rubber end things though, right? I think without those your poor bodyshell will get beaten to death
Pete

·
Premium Member
780 Posts

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,495
PSk;8383732]You have installed the rubber end things though, right? ....
Yup in post #1486 I show those....

..Without the spacer you will need to use thin/sheet metal seat like this...I might sell 12mm? spacers I got from alfaholics, will know once I swap the springs.
Ciao
Yes as well...same post I mentioned ...#1486 shows both the rubber pads and sheet metal seat pan. Now with the 12,5mm spacer you mention.....can you post up a photo of it?

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,496
OK...finally, I just answered my own question after checking out CA's new website and sure enough they have the spacers in question..

SU125 - REAR SPRING SPACER - 11.5mm - Classic Alfa

Aluminum (I had a feeling it was)...Now for this to fit at the top of the spring...there would have to be a gap between the spacer and the spring pan.

I will have to wait to see how the car sits on the ground before determining the needed spacer thickness (if any).

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes, the springs are a bit 'loose' when the car is off the ground but they sit inside of the sheetmetal pocket so no need to worry. I made my own aluminum spacers as I have a set of lower, stiffer springs from Classic Alfa. Without the spacers, my car sits way too low for my liking. I actually took the springs out because even with the spacers I made (started with a 1" plate), it is still too low...but I have a plan as I have since measured and weighed the car :). I also have a factory table/chart that shows what the ride heights should be for the various models when laden (I'm sure they are here on the BB somewhere). The spacers are then used to adjust the ride height should the car sit too low (reference measurements taken from the axle to the bump stop rubbers). As was mentioned previously, use what you've got and then you can make adjustments as needed after you start driving the car.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Rosanno, are you trying to raise the rear end by an inch? Or just use what originally came from the factory?

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Don't recall those in any of the GTVs I have had. But it has been a while since I worked on rear springs. The rear spacers look like they are essential, not like the front spacers at all. Any images of original rear spacers? That may jog my memory!

1481 - 1500 of 1595 Posts