Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1441 - 1460 of 1595 Posts

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,441
Ok...so recent activity and focus has been on refurbishing of 2 starters (1 for the GTV and 1 the Montreal)...I figured since I'm at might as well do both of them. These Bosch units are very robustly built as one would expect from the Germans and generally not too much can go wrong usually....with mine, only the bushes and brushes needed replacing. I was able to source the bushings from WOOD Auto out of the UK..and Rockauto out the US. First bushing is on the end cover plate....

1.jpg

...other one opposite end at the pinion drive housing...

2.jpg

and the last one on the pinion drive itself. Realitvely straight forward affair actually...tap the old out and tap the new ones in. This is best done with a drift sized to slightly smaller that the ID of the bores of the housings....lathe comes in handy at this stage.

3.jpg

4.jpg

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,442
other consumables on these are the brushes. The brush carrier itself was in excellent condition..

5.jpg

..Brushes I purchased from Rockauto...

6.jpg

...commutator surface I cleaned up on the lathe as well....

7.jpg

...I zinc plated the coil housing and retainers just to keep that rust away...

8.jpg

soldering and paint and reassembly.

10.jpg

Next up the alternators....

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,443
....Looks like you keep moving ahead at a steady pace, everything you touch looks amazing. Have I missed your wiper mechanism restoration part or not there yet? Did you find the source of those rubber caps or should I try to finish that little project?...
Steady...and sometimes too slow for my liking....but this project is not the only thing that occupies my time...:frown2: Now as far as the wiper mechanism goes.....that is a project I started years ago....and stalled due to the seals. But stay tuned....we are exploring the possibility with a new seal supplier for these.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,444
Bosch 35A Alternator Refurbishment

Continuing with electrical components refurbishment...the 35A Bosch Alternator was next on the list. It is surprising how much grime and corrosion can accumulate over the years of use.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Rectifier bridge especially seems to be a natural trap for dirt.

3.jpg

Brush holder assemblies are available as NOS items for some alternators (I managed to purchase one for the Montreal alternator)...but for this one I had to settle for new brushes only.

5.jpg

Field diodes lost all their zinc protection....

6.jpg

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,445
First step after disassembly of all components was to test out the rectifiers, armature resistance and field coil resistances. The factory Electrical Charging manual is excellent and details all the steps in rebuilding an alternator and the tests that are to be done on the various components. I was lucky in that all the pieces passed the various tests and were in good working order.

After bead blasting....the housings were alodine coated and washed.

7.jpg

All the hardware was zinc plated..

8.jpg

Field Rectifiers too....

9.jpg

Reassembly of the diode assemblies.....again well detailed in the factory manual.

10.jpg

Armature cleaned up and painted...with stop ring replated...

11.jpg

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,446
New brushes soldered into brush holder..

12.jpg

Original roller bearings were non sealed type....I replaced with the sealed type.

13.jpg

Insulating sleeves cleaned up nicely...and reassembled..

14.jpg

Finished off the fan and pulley in paint.

15.jpg

the only item left is the metal name plate ....which I am hoping will be easy to have reproduced (help with this item would be welcomed).

16.jpg

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Rossano, your work is beautiful, as usual. Given that you are into the details, I wanted to point out that the fan you've sourced is not right for the Bosch alternator. Please see the parts manual for the right fan. Also, it is my belief that both the fan and pulley should be plated and not painted.
My fan and pully are different than the one shown in pics in above post #1446.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,449
........I wanted to point out that the fan you've sourced is not right for the Bosch alternator. Please see the parts manual for the right fan. Also, it is my belief that both the fan and pulley should be plated and not painted.
Brian....you are correct on all counts! I assumed that the fan that came with this alternator was original to it. As the photo shows it has Bosch part # 1 126 610 013.

1.jpg

The GTV Euro Parts manual shows that it should be a stamped sheet metal type with p/n 1 126 610 008. The US parts manual does not give the Bosch p/n but it does show the same Alfa Part # as the Euro. The pulley seems to be correct to the manual...although there is no part number stamped on it.

2.jpg

The fan from my Montreal's Bosch alternator (photo below) matches with that shown in the Montreal parts manual with p/n 1 126 610 025.

3.jpg

Although it seems to be similar to that for the GTV....it does not match with what is shown in the GTV parts manual. The Parts manual shows a different p/n for it...1 126 610 008, a much earlier part number by my account.

Looks like I'll be looking for a correct fan.

My fan and pully are different than the one shown in pics in above post #1446.
Would you happen to have a photo of yours?

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,452
I have no photo but it looks similar to your Montreal fan. I may have a spare alternator.?
Cool...let me know what you might have ....I need the fan and another pulley like the one shown for the MTL alternator.

Now...to add more to the puzzle....when I was over at George Beston's rummaging through some of the 1969 Duetto parts that he is liquidating, I picked up a 35A Bosch unit (along with a whack of other useful spare parts) with the hope that the pulley was one that I could use for the MTL. Unfortunately after tearing that alternator apart ....the fan/pulley ended being the one below...

1.jpg

2.jpg

This carries the part number 1 126 610 015 and as can be seen, the pulley is directly riveted to the fan. So I now have 2 nice fans that aren't correct.

If someone out there has the pre 1969 and/or the post 1969 parts manuals....can I find out what vehicle the following fans
1 126 600 013 & 1 126 610 015 actually belong to?

·
Premium Member
6,351 Posts
In the Alfa catalog the part number for the fan for a 71 105 is
105.48.05.521.00 USA and Euro. the pulleys are separate #s but they all start with 105, maybe that will help even just a tiny bit

·
Registered
862 Posts
SEV MARCHAL (on the left) is french so no bosch number on it, I took it out of a ´76 Junior, and SEV MOTOROLA (in the right side) is from a volvo so also no bosch number for it either, i post a pic of the 2 alternators so you can see that they look almost the same

Attachments

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,460
If we can get a Bosch part number, you could probably find one eBay. There are a few new fans that look right, but I would not chance it without a part number.
...provided in the post below..

...The GTV Euro Parts manual shows that it should be a stamped sheet metal type with p/n 1 126 610 008. The US parts manual does not give the Bosch p/n but it does show the same Alfa Part # as the Euro.
@1750GT your alt. fan looks from a SEV MARCHAL/ SEV MOTOROLA alternator
Might be....but consider this....the Alfa Factory Charging System Repair Manual for the same alternator BOSCH K1 14V 35A 20....shows a fan identical to the integrally riveted cast one that I have....:confused:

2018-12-17.jpg

1441 - 1460 of 1595 Posts