Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1421 - 1440 of 1595 Posts

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,421
Continuing on with more of the fuel system bits. The Fispa fuel filter was one heck of a mess with the varnished up fuel gunking up every passage and component...

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

Needless to say I re-plated the Romablock clamps, fittings, sending unt and the inside of the fuel bowl.

IMG_3614.jpg

...polished out the brass pieces and installed a new filter cartridge & label for the bowl.

IMG_3621.jpg

I still need to clean & seal the gas tank....and the electric fuel pump assembly.

·
Premium Member
6,352 Posts
Nice! Is the low pressure sender compatible with the fuel system? Can't remember what you are using. I've been trying to find a sender that trips below the 2-3 pisg Webers get. Mine like most is really old and will shut the light off at idle but it flickers when running. My pump is delivering 2-3 psi at the ball valve.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,423 (Edited)
Nice! Is the low pressure sender compatible with the fuel system? ..... Mine like most is really old and will shut the light off at idle but it flickers when running. My pump is delivering 2-3 psi at the ball valve.
At this point I haven't been able to test the fuel system since I'm still refurbishing all the components. The sender is the original sender so I expect it to be correct for the Spica FI system but until I power up the system I really don't know.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,424 (Edited)
Update time....I spent the past 4 or so weekends working on the wheels. I starting off with having them stripped and acid dipped at Technostrip....saved me a ton of time.....so I thought. Problem was that because I wasn't able to get to them till a few weeks later (due to work obligations) ....the nicely bare metal developed a lot of flash rusting with some acid bleed- out of the joints between the centre and outer ring joints (sorry no photos taken)...I expended a lot of effort using naval jelly to get rid of all the rust and followed that up with a liberal amount of Metal Ready (zinc phosphate). Doing five wheels takes a ton of time.....patience is key here.

IMG_3699.jpg

After that phosphate I went with self etching primer and high build primer to fill in the areas where originally the wheels experienced some surface pitting due to rust.

IMG_3704.jpg

After the primer....a couple of coats of Silver base enamel (code BMW Polaris 60)....finished this off with a few coats of clear coat.

IMG_3708.jpg

I can't wait to see those new Pirelli CN36's mounted on these wheels.

IMG_3711.jpg

I also.... finally........... got around to installing the steering wheel.

I'm tackling the gas tank next and hope to get it done this week.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The shift gaiter looks forlorn.... ;-)

Update time....I spent the past 4 or so weekends working on the wheels. I starting off with having them stripped and acid dipped at Technostrip....saved me a ton of time.....so I thought. Problem was that because I wasn't able to get to them till a few weeks later (due to work obligations) ....the nicely bare metal developed a lot of flash rusting with some acid bleed- out of the joints between the centre and outer ring joints (sorry no photos taken)...I expended a lot of effort using naval jelly to get rid of all the rust and followed that up with a liberal amount of Metal Ready (zinc phosphate). Doing five wheels takes a ton of time.....patience is key here.

View attachment 1522776

After that phosphate I went with self etching primer and high build primer to fill in the areas where the original wheels experienced some surface pitting due to rust.

View attachment 1522778

After the primer....a couple of coats of Silver base enamel (code BMW Polaris 60)....finished this off with a few coats of clear coat.

View attachment 1522780

I can't wait to see those new Pirelli CN36's mounted on these wheels.

View attachment 1522782

I also.... finally........... got around to installing the steering wheel.

I'm tackling the gas tank next and hope to get it done this week.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,428
I'm very impressed with your restoration, I am about to start work on mine
First post! well welcome to this awesome Bulletin Board. The second post that you must now make has to be one documenting your restoration. I urge you to do so...I found that it will help to provide you with the much needed support and encouragement during those long stretches of challenging work....that will cause one to lose steam and momentum....believe me I've gone through a few of those during my resto. Those photos you just posted are ideal as the introduction in your thread. Go for it!

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,429
Completion of the gas tank has stalled a bit...but I've come across some parts recently thanks to George Beston who kindly alerted me to a lot of NOS (early Spider parts mainly) that he is keenly interested in selling on behalf of a local long time Alfista. Some of these parts are common to the GTV. One part is this rear heat shield (original insulation and all)...

IMG_2336.jpg

I just mounted it as (didn't want to disturb this too much for H + S reasons)....using the original screws that I of course replated.

IMG_2351.jpg

Next were a pair of these Spica shock absorbers...

IMG_2353.jpg

The Koni's I removed (put those back in the boxes to be used at a later date...or other project). I'm sure these are not the best performing shock..but I do want to keep as original as possible.

attachment.jpg

I do have one NOS rear Spica shock absorber as well....so will be keeping my eyes peeled for one more to complete the set. If anyone has one NOS that they'd be willing to part with...I am interested.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm very impressed with your restoration, I am about to start work on mine
Welcome aboard!
Looks like a great journey you are embarking on.
I second the request to document your resto - I have found it so useful to look at other peoples projects.
The value of other people’s experience and photos is immeasurable. I wouldn’t have started my project without that resource - and so I felt compelled to document my resto too.
It looks like are starting point of car condition is pretty similar.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,431
A few months earlier I completed refurbishment of the rear brake calipers....this past week was spent on the front calipers.The original condition of these was rather dismal and indicated maintenance by the previous owner was a little lacking...

IMG_0497.jpg

After disassembly and some cleaning up they showed to be in rather good condition...

IMG_0278.jpg

But I needed these to be in a little better condition. Being much larger in surface area than the rear calipers meant that my 5 AMP power source was inadequate to provide the necessary current for plating. After picking up a 10 AMP unit....I started up my plating kit....and voila. I was rather pleased on how these turned out.

IMG_3792.jpg

With all the parts either new , replated...or even some painted....I was finally able to finish off the front brakes.

IMG_3797.jpg

Installed on the car....thank goodness......some real progress for a change!...:smile2:

IMG_3800.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,352 Posts
Very Nice! What did you use to position the pots in the calipers? I made a tool but wasn't 100% sure they were oriented correctly.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,434
Very Nice! What did you use to position the pots in the calipers? I made a tool but wasn't 100% sure they were oriented correctly.
Oh that was very simple...I made an aluminum template from a diagram showing the correct orientation of the pots realative to the caliper.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have been following your restoration project from the day of your first post. The quality and your dedication to perfection is really inspiring especially over all these years.

I am a couple of years behind you on my current project and is going to start working on my rear panel soon. I was looking at the postings where you were battling with the boot lid (trunk) and the rear panel. My question how did you transfer the shape to the profiles gauges that you used to check the correctness of the panels. Did you use a Profile gauge?

Highly appreciated in advance

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,436
....I was looking at the postings where you were battling with the boot lid (trunk) and the rear panel. My question how did you transfer the shape to the profiles gauges that you used to check the correctness of the panels. Did you use a Profile gauge?
Thank you for the nice words and I'm glad the posts and photos are inspiring you to forge ahead with your project. The templates I made were traced directly from the trunk lid itself onto cardstock paper first then onto 1/8" thick MDF fiber board. It took a few trial and error attempts to get the cardstock templates correct....but yes a profile gauge would have been much faster and easier to do and will be a tool that I will acquire on my next project for sure. I'm going to look for at least a 2 foot or 3 foot long profile gauge if available.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,439
An impressive restoration, congratulation !
Thank you....my objective on this resto was to do all of the work...mainly to challenge myself. There were some items that I sent out (like alternator rebuild) only to be disappointed with the poor level of workmanship. These little losses helped to solidify my objective even more.

fantastic build ,,so many tips one picks up ,i love your electroplating ,,must look into it ,,thank you
I've had good success with the Caswell system.....with only a few poor results due mainly to me cutting corners during cleaning of the parts.Thorough cleaning and preparation of the parts by glass bead blasting is the key....a blast cabinet is a must! I would not venture into this process if you don't have one.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Hello Rossano,

Looks like you keep moving ahead at a steady pace, everything you touch looks amazing. Have I missed your wiper mechanism restoration part or not there yet? Did you find the source of those rubber caps or should I try to finish that little project?

Got one little complain to make, if I may Sir? :grin2:

Even though your detailed posts of the process is very valuable to us and we enjoy reading them very much, could you please post bit more pics? You know how it goes: 1750GT's pics are worth...

Great work as always :thumbup1:

1421 - 1440 of 1595 Posts