Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1401 - 1420 of 1595 Posts

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,402
I managed to find an 18" piece of braided rubber hose that I lost track and was searching high and low for a while now. It's one that Papajam provided to me years ago at the time when I purchased one of his rebuilt MC's.

IMG_2206.jpg

I've seen similar products on ebay...but just not this exact material spec. I don't know exactly what the rubber is...but since it came from Papajam...I know it must be correct for the brake reservoir hoses. With that I was finally able to reconnect all the new hydraulic reservoirs to the new brake lines.......:smile2:

IMG_2210.jpg

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,403
Correct, my 71 does not have a indicator either!
Thanks for the confirmation. I suppose that since the fogs can't be turned on without the low beam lights activated....a separate warning light for the fogs would really be redundant anyways.

·
Registered
586 Posts
ok. Getting really close now. Half the bb is going to want to attend the starting ceremony.

What's left, anyway? I can remember when I was close to the end on my Jr. Z build I had been spending so much time zooming in on details that I nearly forgot that I was working on a car!

cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,405
ok. Getting really close now. Half the bb is going to want to attend the starting ceremony.
What's left, anyway? I can remember when I was close to the end on my Jr. Z build I had been spending so much time zooming in on details that I nearly forgot that I was working on a car!
cheers,
Brian
Believe me....I wish that day was tomorrow! But no such luck...I tried not look too far ahead too many times on this project (I didn't want to get overwhelmed). I can say though that I've started in some way or another on every aspect of the remaining tasks....drivetrain, engine, interior and suspension.

Nice JrZ by BTW.....had my Montreal not happened along...that is one model I was going to look as a next project candidate.

·
Registered
861 Posts
if you google the DIN nr is on the brake hose provided by papajam (DIN73378) it comes clear that its a hose with nylon in it, so brake fluid resistant

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,407
OK ....a very small update. I restarted my plating system after months of it being stored out of the way. So I zinc plated the OE license plate mount bracket that Nakagtv provided to me. Thank you Zaza!

IMG_3359.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,349 Posts
Looks great! I got a Eastwood tin/zinc anode and some of their plating solution and it works well. More of a I wanna see what it does than anything else.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,409
Time for a small update. I 'm finally at the point of reassembling some of the other systems...like the fuel lines. I stayed with steel as the material of choice...with the added benefit that these come copper lined. It's a rather simple task of using the originals as the template for the new.

IMG_3457.jpg

New grommets from gprocket worked like a charm to hold the lines firmly in position. I also kept the foam/rubber coverings....corrosion is not an issue to me since this car won't be driven very often (if at all) in poor weather conditions.....but the foam protect the line from potential stone fragment punctures.

IMG_3473.jpg

I also finally got around to applying rocker guard undercoating all underneath the car.

IMG_3495.jpg

This is another one of those tasks that would have been ideally done when I had the car in the paint shop. But I managed to get it done regardless. I was quite happy with how it turned out after all that effort.

IMG_3494.jpg

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,412
Body color on the underside is not a top priority for me at this point in time.....( I've gone backwards on too many occasions on this project). I 've progressed on both sides of the front suspension...the usual work was completed on these....strip, blast, paint, new bushings, seals, rotors machined, ...etc. etc...Koni Reds....no magic here....simple simple.

IMG_3518.jpg

Brake calipers calipers were the next mini milestone for me...but not for the disassembly / reassembly aspects. I've been staring at these calipers for years! and was always putting these on the back burner till now.

IMG_0517.jpg

My plating system's power unit is at the limit of amperage (5A) for parts the size of half of one rear caliper. But the end result was not too bad ...for an amateur. The front calipers on the other hand are much larger and so I would have to either plate half of one of the calipers halves at a time...or look for a bigger power unit....one that can output 10A.

Attachments

·
Registered
530 Posts
Time for a small update. I 'm finally at the point of reassembling some of the other systems...like the fuel lines. I stayed with steel as the material of choice...with the added benefit that these come copper lined. It's a rather simple task of using the originals as the template for the new.

View attachment 1488577

New grommets from gprocket worked like a charm to hold the lines firmly in position. I also kept the foam/rubber coverings....corrosion is not an issue to me since this car won't be driven very often (if at all) in poor weather conditions.....but the foam protect the line from potential stone fragment punctures.

View attachment 1488585

I also finally got around to applying rocker guard undercoating all underneath the car.

View attachment 1488593

This is another one of those tasks that would have been ideally done when I had the car in the paint shop. But I managed to get it done regardless. I was quite happy with how it turned out after all that effort.

View attachment 1488601
Por 15, waxoil, zink spray?

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,414 (Edited)
Por 15, waxoil, zink spray? ...
Underneath I first applied self etching primer....followed by two heavy coats of rust paint (body coloured). Recently I applied the rocker guard using a ShotZ gun. I used Eastwoods internal coating paint/primer....

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-internal-frame-coating-14oz-aerosol.html

I bought 6 cans...but only needed at most 3. This stuff creeps very effectively in all the cracks and seems....almost too well. Make sure to tape off the openings that you don't want this stuff to ooze out from....cause it'll land on everything. It's very thin and liquidy....but dries quickly as well. I'll follow this up with this was based spray....

https://www.dominionsureseal.com/product/aerosol-amber-anti-corrosion-sacm/

I've applied this product underneath the stainless steel trims on the body work....like the door sill trim. This should be sufficient for the life of this car....considering that she'll be a garage queen from this day on.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Rossano, You are going to have the best 1750 GTV around, did you see what the last two USA S1 1750 GTVs sold for on BaT? I like the black underbody, Alfa may have painted underbodies same color as the top of the car but that was for economic reasons.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Underneath I first applied self etching primer....followed by two heavy coats of rust paint (body coloured). Recently I applied the rocker guard using a ShotZ gun. I used Eastwoods internal coating paint/primer....

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-internal-frame-coating-14oz-aerosol.html

I bought 6 cans...but only needed at most 3. This stuff creeps very effectively in all the cracks and seems....almost too well. Make sure to tape off the openings that you don't want this stuff to ooze out from....cause it'll land on everything. It's very thin and liquidy....but dries quickly as well. I'll follow this up with this was based spray....

https://www.dominionsureseal.com/product/aerosol-amber-anti-corrosion-sacm/

I've applied this product underneath the stainless steel trims on the body work....like the door sill trim. This should be sufficient for the life of this car....considering that she'll be a garage queen from this day on.
Thx. This part deserves a long string and a time lapse video all its own.
One more quick question :
Where did you NOT want the protection to go (what part are you saying needs to get plugged)?

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,417
........One more quick question :
Where did you NOT want the protection to go (what part are you saying needs to get plugged)?
Well if the car is already painted.....and the cavity paint is applied in the "A" or "B" pillar cavities for example.....be carefull because this stuff will ooze out and drip out onto the external surface in some spots. Like through the small holes for the door seal channel retainers. This happened to me and this stuff will flash off quickly...leaving a little mess to clean up.....if it gets onto the rubbers...it's hard to wipe off.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,418
Rossano, You are going to have the best 1750 GTV around, did you see what the last two USA S1 1750 GTVs sold for on BaT? I like the black underbody, Alfa may have painted underbodies same color as the top of the car but that was for economic reasons.
Thanks Brad. I didn't see the latest prices on BAT no.....but I'm glad to hear that for sure.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I'm sure you can't wait to sell it and be done with it after all these years of tedious labor ;^)

Sure looks like you're getting close, Rossano. When is the motor getting dropped in? Are you going to throw a big party the day you turn the key? I bet a pretty significant contingent of us who have been following your project since we were just wee lads would show up!

Honestly, I'm almost as excited as you must be to see your car on the road.

cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,420
Braino....wee lads? Well...you're invited to the unveiling! Ok....no more idling about! Time to finish off the rear calipers....new bleeders valves, pins and springs.....pads are the orignal ATE's still in good condition with plenty of thickness.....so why waste them. I decided to use teflon tape on the threads....why not...should help to keep out some of the moisture from getting in between the threads.

IMG_3513.jpg

I think these are finally ready to go......I better get moving on the rear axle refurb next.

IMG_3532.jpg

IMG_3531.jpg

1401 - 1420 of 1595 Posts