Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1381 - 1400 of 1595 Posts

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,381
I'm finishing off the dashboard for re-installation and found this bracket in a box where I stored various hand control levers gathered over the years.

2018-01-01 15.41.14.jpg

This bracket is a bit of mystery because I do not recall removing this bracket from the car (a decade ago mind you) and yet when I check against the 69 US model GTV parts catalogue it is indeed shown!

2018-01-01 (2).jpg

Anyone come across this bracket as well?

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,383
Isn’t that from the choke/throttle levers?
It seems to be so based on the parts catalog page I was showing. It's just that the1750 dashboards already have a recessed opening that the start lever assembly fits into....

2018-01-01 15.42.38.jpg

so why does the 1750GTV parts book show the need for this bracket? I don't recall where I got the bracket from....and which car would use this bracket...a 1300 Junior perhaps?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Just went out to garage and my 1300 JR looks as does yours, other than I have both levers.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,386
I believe that mistery bracket may be used on the spider. There is no way that it can fit between the lever assembly and the dash....so moving ahead with the dashboard installation....this is what the final fuse boxes and the hazard switch re-arrangement looks like. Everything is in plain sight and accessible without having to crawl underneath the dash to get at the fuses.:smile2:

Attachments

·
Out of the office!
11,156 Posts
I believe that mistery bracket may be used on the spider. There is no way that it can fit between the lever assembly and the dash....so moving ahead with the dashboard installation....this is what the final fuse boxes and the hazard switch re-arrangement looks like. Everything is in plain sight and accessible without having to crawl underneath the dash to get at the fuses.:smile2:
Sorry, Rossano, that bracket is not for a Spider. It might be for a 71 model year GTV though.

·
Registered
11,640 Posts
I don't think the dash itself would be strong enough not to eventually fail without the reinforcement bracket.

Plus surely there is a cover piece missing Rossano that goes around the levers and is attached via the 4 screws, thus the dash is sandwiched, as the hole/opening looks a little unfinished as it is. BTW why are you not fitting the choke lever?
Pete

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,389
I don't think the dash itself would be strong enough not to eventually fail without the reinforcement bracket.
Plus surely there is a cover piece missing Rossano that goes around the levers and is attached via the 4 screws, thus the dash is sandwiched, as the hole/opening looks a little unfinished as it is. BTW why are you not fitting the choke lever?
Pete
The steel sub frame of the dash should be strong enough I feel to support the lever assembly. I do wish there was a cover plate though....but I do not recall removing one from the original dash and I see none called out in the parts manual. Therein is the mystery of that sheet metal flanged bracket which will not fit at this location. The Spica system does not use the Choke lever....it has a built-in cold start solenoid instead.

Sorry, Rossano, that bracket is not for a Spider. It might be for a 71 model year GTV though.
If someone has a photo showing this piece installed on a GTV that should resolve this mystery....but for now I'm moving on with finishing off the rest of the dash installation.

BTW ...I'm installing a 1300 GT junior dash that I picked up years ago....it's not perfect, but the reproduction dashes (2 of them) that I picked up had to be returned due to poor fit and/or quality. In all....those cost me approximately $500 on shipping, duties & taxes that I have no way of reclaiming....so my advice to those considering a reproduction dash is to not bother. Look for a good original one instead.

·
Registered
11,640 Posts
Rossano,

'Raising Junior' is having door closing issues after replacing chassis rails and the sill/rocker pieces, potentially similar to what I had that you helped solve. I'm trying to help him confirm the clearances between the door and the chassis rails/sill/rockers but I of course cannot locate those wonderfully useful sketches you sent me, plus a decent photo of a closed door from the inside with the SS trim and seal installed.

Do you have such a photo that you could post in his thread?: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/7994409-post45.html

Heck if you could happen upon those wonderful sketches that would be amazing, but that was like 4 years ago I think. I'm sure I have the print outs still but they will be in one of the many storage boxes I have since the move back to NZ.

Keep up your amazing work :) ... a benchmark restoration!
Pete

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I'm finishing off the dashboard for re-installation and found this bracket in a box where I stored various hand control levers gathered over the years.

View attachment 1397201

This bracket is a bit of mystery because I do not recall removing this bracket from the car (a decade ago mind you) and yet when I check against the 69 US model GTV parts catalogue it is indeed shown!

View attachment 1397169

Anyone come across this bracket as well?
Ross,

That Bracket, which you picture upside down, screws to the left side foot well wall on LHD using the 2 holes as in the picture below. Maybe you will find 2 screw holes for it, if in fact it came off your car.

All dual leavers of the type you show that I have seen were screwed to the dash recess on GTV as you indicate. On GTj with 1750 type dash a dual pod on the lower steering column shroud was used and hence the GTj dash is without recess. The 1750 FI cars had a recess upholstered cover installed.

My Canadian spec 1969 build, 1970 Giulia SUPER Biscione has that bracket screwed to the foot well wall.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Ross, did your original dash have the cut out? Did the GTj dash you used have a cut out? Hard to tell from the picture. I thought the GTj dashes of the 1750 type did not have?

Interesting that you were not satisfied with the Repro dashes, where as others have been.

Does that make my almost 50 year old un-cracked (last time I looked) 1969 GTV dash valuable?

BTW it was my experience that the 1969 dashes of both GTV and GTj lasted longer than the 1970 and 1971 dashes in our Canadian environment.

Ciao

Ken

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,394
..Maybe you will find 2 screw holes for it, if in fact it came off your car.
Problem is I didn't take any photos of the dash when I removed it from my car 10 years ago....so I'm not 100% certain that it even is from my car.
The 1750 FI cars had a recess upholstered cover installed.
I've seen most US spec FI GTVs with the lone ACCEL lever. It seems to serve more as a cruise control lever. The US GTV parts manual shows this lever too.[/QUOTE]
....did your original dash have the cut out?.....Did the GTj dash you used have a cut out? Hard to tell from the picture. I thought the GTj dashes of the 1750 type did not have?
The original one does have the recess yes. The used one I installed might not be a GT junior one actually. I was assuming it was...but now I'm not so sure...maybe it was a Canadian spec GTV one. The seller may have been mistaken when he advertised it.
....Interesting that you were not satisfied with the Repro dashes, where as others have been.
When I spoke to the guys at Bertlesbeck they stated that they have had numerous problems with their Italian supplier on these dashes. They're very hit and miss according to them. What is annoying though is that they don't seem be able to check what they receive from their suppliers...but it was twisted and warped and totally unusable.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I've seen most US spec FI GTVs with the lone ACCEL lever. It seems to serve more as a cruise control lever. The US GTV parts manual shows this lever too.
The only USA FI GTVs I have had were 1971's and they had a throttle mounted in a bulge on the lower Steering column shroud and the Recess was covered as I said. The other 69, 70 and 71 1750 GTVs I've had were all carbureted.

I could be mistaken about the recess in the GTj's but the smooth nose I had had a dual bulge under the shroud for choke and throttle.

Ken

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Mine has the cutout with the lone ACCEL lever but I've never seen that bracket. By the position in the parts catalog it seems the bracket would interfere with the installation in the dash. I have an extra 69 dash that I picked up and it has the lever but not the bracket.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,400
Progress report (no pics)...

so I installed all the gauges, the dashboard lights, headlights and fog lights and have got them all working...finally! I won't say it was straightforward because it wasn't! Lots of trouble shooting required with the relays, switches, grounds, courtesy lights etc. and lots of disassembly and re-assembly to get them right. One thing I noted though is that the FOG lights don't seem to turn on any dashboard mounted indicator light when switched on (such as what the high/low beam lights have)......is this correct?

1381 - 1400 of 1595 Posts