Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1361 - 1380 of 1595 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Dot 5 vs 5.1

...However, its my understanding that DOT 5.1 fluids are compatible with "all brake components", whereas DOT 5 fluids are labeled as "containing silicon and NOT compatible with some brake materials." In addition, I think most new brake component seals, including OH elements for Alfas, are compatible with all brake fluids now...

Robert
Robert makes a good point. While I've had better luck with DOT 5 Silicon fluid and seals myself I can't stress enough that 5.1 and 5 are completely different beasts. 5.1 is more like DOT 4 and is not silicon based. And it will remove your paint too. See the link below for more details.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOT_5.1

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,363
All good advice and tips on the brake fluid gents. I'll be using ATE Typ 200 to DOT4...probably the closest to the OE fluid.

On the reassembly side, I've been slowly working out the hiccups with the wiring harness and accessories. Some of the issues that I sorted out so far:

- turn signals not blinking - traced this out to a crappy flasher unit (the one mounted above the fuse box). This was a new Lucas unit but quality is poor - internal wire was shorting against the outer cylindrical body of the unit. I'm cleaning up the original Bosch unit an will install that instead.
- lights not blinking....attributed to a bad bulb on one of the small dash mounted turn indicator lights.

I'm still trying to get the emergency flasher system flashing consistently. Not sure if the main issue is perhaps with the small 6A -12V battery charger than I'm using? I didn't want to go with the full battery power/current flows till everything is connected and grounded so I'm plodding along a little bit each day.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
It is not uncommon for reservoirs to be separate from the master cylinders so there is appropriate hose out there, plus I bet the paint damage we see around this area is not from hose failure or leaks but from spills. Remember when putting new pads in you have to push the caliper pistons back, that means the brake fluid level in the reservoir goes up and if the owner had topped it up it overflows and spills.

I won't be using silicon brake fluid, I will simply be doing what mechanics have done for ~50 years and have a large bottle of water available and after any work on the fluid side of brakes, water gets poured over anything remotely in the area. This obviously includes when brakes are bled.
Pete

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,366
......On the reassembly side, I've been slowly working out the hiccups with the wiring harness and accessories. Some of the issues that I sorted out so far:....I'm still trying to get the emergency flasher system flashing consistently. Not sure if the main issue is perhaps with the small 6A -12V battery charger than I'm using? I didn't want to go with the full battery power/current flows till everything is connected and grounded so I'm plodding along a little bit each day.
Hello to all....well with the Christmas holiday now passed, it's time to get back to it! I finally resolved the issue with the emergency flasher system....and it was as I suspected....there wasn't enough power supplied to the flasher relay by the battery charger alone. So when I connected a proper car battery to the circuit...voila! flashers work as intended.

The next task at hand is to refit the dashboard, dashlights etc. I have encountered one hiccup though......and would like some help on this. Namely, the 1969 US model has a small auxiliary fusebox that houses the fuel pump and fog light fuses. I do not have any photographs showing how and where this unit is mounted under the dashboard...can someone post a photo of it in it's correct position? Is there a separate bracket for it like the emergency flasher switch?

·
Out of the office!
11,202 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
... Namely, the 1969 US model has a small auxiliary fusebox that houses the fuel pump and fog light fuses. I do not have any photographs showing how and where this unit is mounted under the dashboard...can someone post a photo of it in it's correct position? Is there a separate bracket for it like the emergency flasher switch?
Here is a photo showing the aux fuse box position on my '73 115.01 (US Spec) GTV. I assume it would be the same for your '69.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,347 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's a allen head machine screw and the bracket is threaded. Fuel pump and fog lights are the two fused circuits. M4 sounds about right.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,374
Here are a couple of my "file" pictures. The fuse box is on the driver's side on the GTV and Berlina. On the spider, the fuse box is on the passenger side. A single machine screw holds the fuse box on. I'm not sure of the size, but my guess is an M4, slotted cheese head or phillips panhead.
The spider arrangement is definitely not the same as the GTV. Thanks none the less Osso...I do appreciate the effort.

Here is a photo showing the aux fuse box position on my '73 115.01 (US Spec) GTV. I assume it would be the same for your '69.
Yes it's slightly different for the 69. The space where your bracket for the Aux fusebox is mounted, is occupied by the mounting bracket for the flasher switch on the 69's....this would imply that the aux fuse is mounted in some other area....I believe.

Could someone with a 1969 GTV (US model) post up a photo of theirs?

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,376
Mine was mounted to one of the holes on the left side of the steering column mount. It's hard to see in this photo, but one of the white fuses is visible behind the right mounting screw for the large fusebox.
Ahhh. So it was just secured to the steering column support structure...no bracket eh. I do recall seeing a small hole hole there already......didn't think it would be in such a hard to access location. I'll have to give it a shot and see how visible/accessible this location ends up being.

Thank you Brad.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,377 (Edited)
Although after further reviewing the photo Bellagt posted....it seems to be mounted to the side support bracket for the dash and this should be behind the emerg flasher switch bracket. I think this might be the better place after all.

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
Mine was mounted to one of the holes on the left side of the steering column mount. It's hard to see in this photo, but one of the white fuses is visible behind the right mounting screw for the large fusebox.
Imagine a dark wet night and having to check and/or replace that fuse ... no wonder mechanics like my father dislike Alfa Romeos :surprise:
Pete

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,380 (Edited)
Thanks for the tips and input gents. I decided to mount the aux fusebox adjacent to main fuse box for visibility and ease of access. I had to relocate the toggle switch further outboard to make room for it though. I fabricated a mounting bracket for the aux fuse box and mounted both to the dashboard support bracket on the body. All in all it was good way to end the year 2017!

Happy New Year 2018 to all....!

Attachments

1361 - 1380 of 1595 Posts