Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1341 - 1360 of 1595 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,348 Posts
I took mine off and just run the rear plate. The front plate is just plain ugly and I keep it under the seat to stick up on the dash in a pinch, 8 years and counting, knock on wood!

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,342
I took mine off and just run the rear plate. The front plate is just plain ugly and I keep it under the seat to stick up on the dash in a pinch, 8 years and counting, knock on wood!
How about old style Italian custom license instead. I think it looks better than H bracket and should fit the bumper perfectly.
Unfortunately for us we have a law that mandates a front plate. If only our country had adopted the sleeker more aesthetically pleasing European style license plates.....but alas ....it's not and will never be.

·
Premium Member
6,348 Posts
It's the law here too.

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
I run without a front plate on any vehicle that's looks are compromised by said plate. I've only been nicked once in 40 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,348 Posts
I really think that most of them can relate and as long as you're not doing something stupid they'll let you slide.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Missing a license plate - where required - is one of those things that you get stopped for, then checked out for many other things. "Probable cause" they say.

Better to not attract attention for a little vanity.

IMHO

Robert

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,348
Thanks to those that have offered up a license plate holder much appreciated. BTW....another reason I prefer not to run without a front plate....I don't want to be pulled over by a curious cop wanting to take a closer look at my car....then having to justify pulling me over due to the lack of a front plate.

Progress wise....I started the wiring installation. The marine grade wire I used on my new harness resulted in a larger bundle size due to the insulation thicknesses of the wires being marginally greater than the original. I was concerned at first that the grommet wouldn't accommodate this....but it did. Of course in order to gain better access tp the area, one of the brake boosters needed to come out. Minor nuisance...but I probably would have to remove it when installing the hoses for the clutch and brake reservoirs to the feed lines on master cylinders.

Attachments

·
Registered
860 Posts
Hi Rossano, how are you going to connect the brake/clutch fluid reservoir to the hard lines? It always leaks and it will ruin your paint. Corious to know what others do

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,350
Hi Rossano, how are you going to connect the brake/clutch fluid reservoir to the hard lines? It always leaks and it will ruin your paint. Corious to know what others do
Good question, I haven't finalised this yet. I don't want to end up with the result below again that's for sure. I was going to see about sourcing a small spring clamp of some sort.

What have others done?

100_6350x.jpg

·
Registered
860 Posts
the problem are the materials, OE speeking there was a rubber hose that connected to reservoire to the hardline, today I havent been able to find a hose that can handle brake fluid, I´ve even try nylon hoses without succes, looking a video of Vintage Customs (aka akitaman) he speeks about a rubber hose, Continental brand, blue colored wich is perfect for this application, couldnt find that hose in EU. Continental doesnt import it to EU. Hence my question

·
Registered
138 Posts
Brake Fluid that doesn't affect paint?

Not that it addresses the underlying problem (leaking brake / clutch lines) - however, I just read, with great interest, about a new brake fluid offered by CA. It's called BR092 SILICONE BRAKE FLUID.

CA's description states:

"Developed for the US Military, silicone brake fluid (DOT 5) is the most advanced brake and clutch fluid ever devised. Never needs replacing, non hygroscopic, doesn't damage paintwork and boiling point of 260 degrees C (500 deg F). Compatible with the seals and hoses used by all manufacturers. Because it absorbs virtually no moisture it retains the high boiling point for life and can be left in a braking system indefinitely. Non-toxic with no known harmful effects too."

It's ridiculously expensive - but, maybe...

·
Registered
450 Posts
I used to use DOT5 fluid on race bikes.
They prob use it in some race card.

About OTT on road going vehicles I would say, and very expensive too. Compatibility issues with other fluids also.

motorsport stockists should have rubber feed hose for brake reservoirs - try merlinmotorsport.co.uk.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Silicone, or DOT5 brake fluid is something I and many other enthusiasts have used for many years. As I understand it, additives in DOT5 fluid are not compatible with other brake fluids. If you’re starting with a clean system, there should be no problem using DOT5 brake fluid in this application. Also, in my experience, it has had no adverse effect if it contacts paint.

George

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
I've used DOT 5 on a '69 GTV with dual boosters. Since everything was new or rebuilt including all the brake lines, boosters BMC and calipers I felt it was safe. It was but with as hard as it is to bleed these brakes I found I went through a whole lot of brake fluid. It's $$$$

I used it primarily because it doesn't attack the paint. But I left a DOT5 soaked rag on a painted fender and found out otherwise. It sat there for a while (maybe months) but it did ruin the paint. That's the last time I used it...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Made a quick search for the particular DOT5 fluid (although my car is a long long way from that stage). Seems to be only offered in Europe while the description specifically says "Imported from the USA" and "Specified by Harley Davidson". Only European classic car parts shop and amazon europe offfers it.
So maybe if you find the source or what brand HD actually specifies you might get it for less. Seems to be double+ the price of other DOT5 fluids.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,357
Thanks for the feedback guys. The rubber needs to be EPDM and preferably fabric reinforced or fabric wrapped. I'm sure there are bunch of cars of this era that have used similar construction for their reservoir feed line connections.....such as VW's perhaps.

·
Registered
529 Posts
A friend is using this DOT '5.1' with the caveat that he replaced all hoses to silicon... I'm sticking to DOT 4 personally though...

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
It's not just the hoses. The really important parts are the seals in the MC and the caliper pistons, and in the boosters if you have them. I once put a silicon fluid in a completely refurbished brake system. In just three days the seals had hardened and were useless. I found out when I tried to back out of the garage and crashed thru the boxwood hedges, with no brakes at all. All the seals on an Alfa are rubber, and not at all compatible with silicon brake fluid.

However, its my understanding that DOT 5.1 fluids are compatible with "all brake components", whereas DOT 5 fluids are labeled as "containing silicon and NOT compatible with some brake materials." In addition, I think most new brake component seals, including OH elements for Alfas, are compatible with all brake fluids now.

You need to read the small print on the labels very carefully. At least in the US, they must be properly labeled. AFAIK, there have been several serious accidents that resulted from this problem.

Robert

1341 - 1360 of 1595 Posts