Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1321 - 1340 of 1595 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Rossano,
Maybe this is obvious already from what you've found, but the fore-aft is set by the pinch bolt visible just on the left of the picture you posted, against the big nut at the other end of the column housing... You don't want to set the gap between the steering wheel and the housing too tight, or the backing plate on the steering wheel that grounds the horn can touch the column housing "ears" and be setting off the horn at random and usually embarassing moments..... Especially if the pinch bolt is not tightened, and even so that bushing pinched by the bolt seems to have some fore-aft movement, at least in my case.
Cheers
Neil
EDIT: Sorry - 15 min later I realize I'm here blabbing about the UJ version while the 69's didn't have them yet. Ignore please ! ;-)

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,322
........You don't want to set the gap between the steering wheel and the housing too tight, or the backing plate on the steering wheel that grounds the horn can touch the column housing "ears" and be setting off the horn at random and usually embarassing moments........
Good input...thanks Neil.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,323
Recent activity.....assembled the front grille, Center Heart and emblem. To my surprise the mesh portion of the grille is aluminum which became obvious after I bead blasted it clean. So for that, I applied a yellow zinc chromated primer before a black semi gloss top coat. The front is nearing completion with only the LH bumper to polish out and the foglight lamps to purchase. I'm debating whether to go with clear or yellow foglights.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Recent activity.....assembled the front grille, Center Heart and emblem. To my surprise the mesh portion of the grille is aluminum which became obvious after I bead blasted it clean. So for that, I applied a yellow zinc chromated primer before a black semi gloss top coat. The front is nearing completion with only the LH bumper to polish out and the foglight lamps to purchase. I'm debating whether to go with clear or yellow foglights.

Good job Rossano ! My GTv came with its original Yellow Carello (4 lights as for the French regulation at the time) .. I personally don't like it, the car looks banal and with a less aggressive look .. personal tastes of course :)

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
Clear. Hate the boy racer yellow headlight look. Are you really going to drive it in foggy conditions?

BTW with my car the inner headlights are the high-beam, not fog lights ... ?????

But it is your car :)
Pete

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I don't like yellow headlights either. It's my understanding that yellow headlights were required in France - Paris specifically - to reduce eye glare from all the traffic in tight and windy streets in Paris.

Robert

·
Premium Member
6,347 Posts
I don't know why there are two.

GTV_1 by gigem75, on Flickr

Attachments

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,330
Clear. Hate the boy racer yellow headlight look. Are you really going to drive it in foggy conditions? BTW with my car the inner headlights are the high-beam, not fog lights ... ?????
But it is your car :)
Pete
More than likely not. The US model 1750 GTV's are set-up as Fog lights for sure....so that's how she's going to stay. I do recall my previously owned Canadian/Euro 1971 GTV had high beams for these as well.

I don't like yellow headlights either. It's my understanding that yellow headlights were required in France - Paris specifically - to reduce eye glare from all the traffic in tight and windy streets in Paris.

Robert
For functionality the yellow beam is probably better in foggy situations.....so if driving in the back roads of the country side I would opt for maximum visibility over aesthetics. I currently reside in an urban area with roads wide and well lit....so this becomes a lower priority.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,331
I spent a good part of this past weekend finishing off the front bumper detail and the turn signals. The steps I went through to get it to this point... entailed re-chrome plating the housings, zinc plating the supports that secure the turn signals to the bumper, installed new plastic lenses, rewired completely (I think I showed some details of that previously in this thread some 2 years ago perhaps). The housing seals are ones that I picked-up over the years and are in nice condition.

2017-10-28 17.37.59.jpg

I sanded then polished out the bumpers and reassembled the pieces with stainless steel rivets instead of plain steel as the factory did. So with this now installed....the front end is almost there. I just need to find the license plate holder! which I haven't seen in years.....:mad:...looks like I may need to make one up from scratch.

2017-10-29 19.41.35.jpg

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
More than likely not. The US model 1750 GTV's are set-up as Fog lights for sure....so that's how she's going to stay.
Did she have yellow fog lights originally? One way to make the decision easy :)

Oh and looking very good of course!
Pete

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,334
Wish I'd known you were looking. This one closed on eBay on Oct. 9. It looks like it may not have sold so I just sent the seller a message to see if he still has it.
Edit: He relisted it and it sold on Oct. 27 for $20.
View attachment 1359217
Well that is exactly what I needed...and of course I missed that bargain! My car didn't have that stainless rectangular piece though (as per the the 69 US model parts manual)...it was offered on the 1971 model year. I'll post up a wanted add for the H bracket...if that doesn't pan out, I'll have to fabricate one up.

Did she have yellow fog lights originally? One way to make the decision easy :)
Oh and looking very good of course!
Pete
The parts catalogue shows a Carello part # 02.272.084 which doesn't tell us the colour of course....although I suspect they were clear. I know that I received the car with clear lenses.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
My car didn't have that stainless rectangular piece though (as per the the 69 US model parts manual)...it was offered on the 1971 model year. I'll post up a wanted add for the H bracket...if that doesn't pan out, I'll have to fabricate one up.
Mine came the same way - H bracket only. If you need measurements, let me know.

·
Out of the office!
11,201 Posts
I spent a good part of this past weekend finishing off the front bumper detail and the turn signals. The steps I went through to get it to this point... entailed re-chrome plating the housings, zinc plating the supports that secure the turn signals to the bumper, installed new plastic lenses, rewired completely (I think I showed some details of that previously in this thread some 2 years ago perhaps). The housing seals are ones that I picked-up over the years and are in nice condition.

View attachment 1359185

I sanded then polished out the bumpers and reassembled the pieces with stainless steel rivets instead of plain steel as the factory did. So with this now installed....the front end is almost there. I just need to find the license plate holder! which I haven't seen in years.....:mad:...looks like I may need to make one up from scratch.

View attachment 1359193
Beautiful work, Rossano.

Are those repro lenses?

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,338
Mine came the same way - H bracket only. If you need measurements, let me know.
I will thanks.

Hello Rossano, I have H bracket somewhere on the shelf. Do you want me to look for it?
Yes please do and let me know if you manage to find it.

Beautiful work, Rossano.

Are those repro lenses?
Yes they are...and if I recall correctly, I got these from Centerline years ago. I wish I had bought a few more sets though....prices have doubled since then.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts

Attachments

1321 - 1340 of 1595 Posts