Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1301 - 1320 of 1595 Posts

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,301
I'm literally tingly with anticipation. See the thread link below. http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/270534-post17.html
Perfect that's what I was looking for.....thank you. What was the thread that that foto was posted in?

I have the photo you're looking for but it fails to load every time. It must be a website glitch. If you're still at your email address from 2014, I'll email it to you.
Yes it is the same. Is the foto you have the same as the one osso provided the link to?

·
Out of the office!
11,292 Posts

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,303

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,308
Well this is a little embarrassing (potentially). I rebuilt the steering box years ago but I am now wondering if I used the correct steering shaft (I had a spare one that I reclaimed from a broken box) and may have inadvertently used that instead of the original. Can anyone confirm whether or not the protrusion of the shaft from the base of the housing is correct for the 69 version? Oh and disregard the bearing assembly which I have not fully pressed back into the housing yet (will do so once I get confirmation that I have the correct shaft).

Attachments

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,313
The screws for the covers are indexed off the cast Aluminum support housing. So either the shaft is too long...or the covers are wrong....or I have a later aluminum support housing that might be shorter by about 3/8"?....I hate mysteries sometimes.

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Is there another piece that goes between, ie. like a rubber "seal"?

[EDIT]I've checked some photos and there does not appear to be anything in between; so I wonder have you fully tightened the steering wheel nut as from memory it is on a taper and once on can be hard to remove (there are threaded holes to use to break the taper to get it off as you would know).[/EDIT]
Pete

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
The screws for the covers are indexed off the cast Aluminum support housing. So either the shaft is too long...or the covers are wrong....or I have a later aluminum support housing that might be shorter by about 3/8"?....I hate mysteries sometimes.
Can the aluminium support housing be moved towards the wheel?

Pete

·
Registered
532 Posts
Well the big gap doesn't look normal, but why don't you look at it again after you've screwed in the lower cover as well... they should lock into one another. And double check the steering wheel itself... may be it'll all come together easier than you think.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,318
Can the aluminium support housing be moved towards the wheel?

Pete
We have a winner! You are 100% correct Pete...the holes in the bracket welded to the body that receive the bolts for the aluminum support housing are in fact very very sloppy. It will actually allow the whole support to move fore and aft by at least +/- 3/8" ....thus problem is resolved....:smile2:....thank you again!

·
Registered
587 Posts
I love a happy ending :^)

1301 - 1320 of 1595 Posts