Alfa Romeo Forums banner

101 - 120 of 1595 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Rossano...I started a thread in the Car Restoration section - My Giulia Super Restoration Journey. As well, under my signature is a url to my Flickr photo site. I've posted all of my photos thus far as I thought it would take too much time to post my past work in detail on the thread. When I get a chance, I will add notes to the Flickr photos to describe what they are. The new stuff I will continue in the thread...although it will be paint & finish related as the metal work is done. And...thanks for the compliment...:)

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
So here is another unusual area that one wouldn't really expect to see much rust and yet there it was underneath the dash, carpets and floor deadening material! Now I've been staring at this bulkhead far too long in it's current rusty state and decided this past weekend to tackle it with my wire wheel.

100_3880.jpg

With the passenger side floors out of the car, I have pretty good access to underside of the upper bulkhead and so now was the time to get down and dirty.

100_3893.jpg

...the lower areas cleaned up pretty quickly....the upper took a little bit more effort and a lot of it having to work upside down. I also removed all the sealant which had a lot of cracks and open spots in numerous areas.

100_3920.jpg

I removed the corner support for the dash, so as to clean it up behind there....this will make it easy to fix the spot welds that came loose on this flap piece ( I bent it up a little.. again to clean under it).

100_3923.jpg

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
...some light surface rust behind that upper dashboard support that I removed...

100_3931.jpg

...the upper area etch primered and almost finished...I still need to get at the centre spot where the air intake opening for the heater box is.

100_3934.jpg

...this side almost complete with the areas I cleaned up etch primered...

100_3933.jpg

·
Registered
11,629 Posts
If only Alfa Romeo had painted these areas ... and properly.

You will find the underneath of your dashboard is completely unpainted too and as rusty as :mad::mad:
Pete

·
Registered
204 Posts
hey mate, any chance that you could post a close up pic of this area, I am doing some pretty major repairs on this sections and need to get a better idea of what it should look like.

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
well I am replacing the front section of the inner sill and also the middle sill, so I need shot of the section that goes from the sill up in an arc to join the pillar, right bellow the lower door hinge. Also if you have a shot from just behind the front wheel looking at the sill. Any of those would be most appreciated, I think that I know how it should look, but just wanted to double check.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Rossano,

When the time comes to re-apply seam sealer here there and everywhere, I have pictures/diagrams from my collection of factory shop manuals. It's detailed out very nicely.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Hi Bruce, I just checked out your restoration pics.....and it's amazing how similair the corrosion zones are on these cars. Now before I post those pics you were asking about, have you checked out Jeff McNeils' site (Alfa Restore) to see if he has the photos of this area?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Rossano - I just had a quick look in my CarDisc CD and the same information is in there...in english, in the Body (Coachwork) Manual section. If you have the same one that I do...it's there!

·
Registered
204 Posts
thanks rossano, that site is a great help, i'll check it out, and tell you if I still need any pics.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Rossano, can you give us a holiday update? I was re-reading the entire thread tonight and am extremely impressed with your work and car. The attention to detail and execution is first rate. I was looking for information about my worn hinge pins, any experience there? BTW - the straw didn't grow in all those places, critters brought it there.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Roger thanks for the compliments! the restoration work has been put on hold for the last couple of months due to work load at work and I was really hoping to do some serious floor work on the Alfa during the holiday break....we'll see. The hinge pin problem you're asking about seems to be a common one. The ones on my car also are quite sloppy at the moment and at first I thought that this was a result of the bore on aluminum hinges wearing out. Now I don't really know for certain however, I read somewhere that rubber bushings were used originally at these locations....and if that is the case, I can easily see these simply disintegrating over time. For restoring these I was going to go with the bushing kits that seem to be readily available from the usual supplliers .....they seem pretty straightforward enough.

·
Registered
11,629 Posts
well I am replacing the front section of the inner sill and also the middle sill, so I need shot of the section that goes from the sill up in an arc to join the pillar, right bellow the lower door hinge. Also if you have a shot from just behind the front wheel looking at the sill. Any of those would be most appreciated, I think that I know how it should look, but just wanted to double check.
105 Series Sill Rocker Chassis components detail

Pete

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello again Rossano,

I am pretty sure that your '69 door hinges are the same as my '67 Sprint door hinges....if so I have some teflon hinge pin bushings that I had made that you would be welcome to if you are interested? I used them on my hinges and they work very well (although they have not been wear tested yet!)

Hodges.

·
Registered
46 Posts
hello rossano,

this is the best bodywork i´ve ever seen to an alfa. congratulations!!! after looking to your fantastic pictures i´m thinking about to strip my car for a third time:rolleyes: and bring it to you!! really, really fantastic

wolfgang

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Thanks Wolfgang...to be honest though, the repairs I'm doing are quite straightforward and simple compared to some of the other current restorations being posted on this BB. One thing that I get a kick out doing is replacing or repairing metal work so that the repair is as invisible as possible (given my limitations on tools and skill set) and of course, this takes time and perseverance.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Hey I'm finally getting back to the repairs! Now one of my prime objectives in this restoration is to make the repairs as clean as possible with no visible welds. Up to now I've been doing all my repairs with plug welds and have found them to be very sound and easy to do (although it is a slow process). So I will be using this technique to weld in the floor panels. So I welded a set of tubes in a cross brace fashion to support the opening and then cut-out the outer rocker all the way back to the B pillar (for now).

IMG_0123.jpg

In order to remove the sill, the upper and lower flange spot welds have to be drilled out. Well after drilling a series of 1/4 in holes at the spot weld locations, I was dismayed when I then tried to shear the rest of the weld off and pry the panels apart with a thin chisel and hammer. Man the welds in this area are much, much stronger and larger than those on the front panels that I had repaired earlier on. Not wanting to cause too much mayhem this way...I came up with another plan that will not require the drilling off of these spot welds.

IMG_0118.jpg

The lower flange welds were much easier to tackle. In fact a good number of them were already broken due to the previous accident damage. Thankfully the metal on these parts is in great condition with only minor surface rust so I should be OK to remove and re-install them without needing new parts.

IMG_0120.jpg

The inner sill also needed some local straightening.....it was easy to do this now with full access to both side of the inner sill.....I just love these workhorse clamps! even these thick pieces were a breeze to straighten.

IMG_0128.jpg

..more to come..

101 - 120 of 1595 Posts