Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1061 - 1080 of 1595 Posts

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,062
Looking good. You'll appreciate the precision, attention to detail and care every time you look at it or drive it.
Indeed I will...but this is a bit of a double edged sword situation....because these smaller details are killing any momentum that I manage to gain on the bigger items. This is where paying more for an already driveable car beats buying a way less expensive (abandoned one).

...details ...details....so many more to come...

Very nice Rossano!
Thanks Ken.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,063
Finally!.....no it's not all finished yet, but I decided to bite the bullet and ordered new window trim last week form CA. Picked them up (along with a few other bits and pieces) on friday and spent part of the beautifully mild day today (~10 celsius) installing the rear one first. One thing I immediately noticed with this trim is that it is very soft in comparison to the OE and had to be handled very carefully. Being somewhat "soft" , it allowed me to adjust it onto the seal and window contour somewhat more easily...but it was no walk in the park to do...especially with just one set of hands.

The order I did this in may not be the ideal and one which I will not repeat when I go to do the front window trim. I first installed the trim on the seal then on the window...which proved to be a real battle (my hands are still hurting as I write). With the trim on the seal it was extremely difficult to get it to seat on the window since it needs to stretch around the window contour and the aluminum trim is not favorable to being stretched......but I got it done.

fines 004.jpg

Next I used the rope method into the seal groove to install the window to the body. To my surprise I was able to do this part rather easily....though it did require a sequence of numerous little tugs on the rope followed by a firm inward push on the seal and trim from the outside....repeat this a few dozen times starting at the bottom center till you end up at the upper center. This has to be done left to right ....left to right....alternating till you finish at the top.

fines 008.jpg

Starting to look more complete now...

fines 011.jpg

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,066
Well done Rossano. You are a very brave man!
I'd say more determined than brave...:smile2:

Fantastic! You have to be very gratified that it's coming out so perfect.
Well...tbh perfection is very difficult to achieve ...as I'm learning on this journey. But yes I am happy with the project so far.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Fantastic thread, I am reading it as a fiction.
And the car is absolutely gorgeous.
Finished it will be better than new.

complimenti per lavoro e passione
Armen

·
Registered
586 Posts
Cool that both of our journeys are coming to a new beginning (I won't say end). I'm finishing up my Junior Z at the same time. It's funny as I've been watching your work for so many years - it was both a source of inspiration and fascination. Some of the best reading I've had - certainly better than reading the news!

There's going to be some seriously loud cheering when you turn that key. You should reach out to the Petrolicious folks. I'm sure they'd love to do a film about you and your car. It's going to be a serious standout.

cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,070
Look at it this way, it's costing me $300 to have the front and back windows removed and re installed, so you are saving oodles of money :smile2:
True indeed....but you're saving yourself from frustration when things go amiss.....and things always go amiss especially when one has not done that particular task before.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,071
Fantastic thread, I am reading it as a fiction.
And the car is absolutely gorgeous.
Finished it will be better than new.

complimenti per lavoro e passione
Armen
LOL.....fiction eh?....well it certainly feels that way sometimes for me as well. But I'm happy you're drawing this added benefit from the thread.

Grazie per i complimenti Armen. Un paio d'anni fa, ho trascorso dei giorni in vacanza a Roma....non vedo l'ora di poter ritornare....una delle piu belle citta del mondo!

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,072
Cool that both of our journeys are coming to a new beginning (I won't say end). I'm finishing up my Junior Z at the same time. It's funny as I've been watching your work for so many years - it was both a source of inspiration and fascination. Some of the best reading I've had - certainly better than reading the news!

There's going to be some seriously loud cheering when you turn that key. You should reach out to the Petrolicious folks. I'm sure they'd love to do a film about you and your car. It's going to be a serious standout.

cheers,
Brian
Jr Z eh? Nice....that was another model I would have loved to tackle on a restoration. But after this one's done...I need to take a long look at myself in the mirror if I even think about entertaining that!...still...:)

Well the loudest cheering will mine for sure! But I don't think about that quite yet....no no...nooooo.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Alright! Now is the perfect time to start up a new restoration thread Ken. I mean now that you're down to one GTV....you'll surely have the time on your hands to do it....:wink2:
It wouldn't be very interesting..... Pull engine, deliver car, write cheques, pick up car, put engine back in then drive car (I hope) :smile2:

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
The order I did this in may not be the ideal and one which I will not repeat when I go to do the front window trim. I first installed the trim on the seal then on the window...which proved to be a real battle (my hands are still hurting as I write). With the trim on the seal it was extremely difficult to get it to seat on the window since it needs to stretch around the window contour and the aluminum trim is not favorable to being stretched......but I got it done.
Well done! Was this entirely solo? If so even more impressive!

Can you enlighten us as to which order of assembly you'll use for the front screen? My understanding is that the trim must be in place before the glass is on the body, so I suppose the only other way to approach it would be seal onto glass, trim onto seal, assembly onto body?

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,077
Well done! Was this entirely solo? If so even more impressive!

Can you enlighten us as to which order of assembly you'll use for the front screen? My understanding is that the trim must be in place before the glass is on the body, so I suppose the only other way to approach it would be seal onto glass, trim onto seal, assembly onto body?
Yes I did it solo and I found that it was not as difficult as I thought it was going to be. For the front screen I will be doing it in the order you stated.....which BTW is one recommended by a few other Alfabb'ers as well.....I just wish I had spotted their recommendations earlier.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Lookin' good Rossano! It's making me consider a floor pedal GT...

As for the glass...seal on glass, trim on seal, install onto body. I found that a piece of tape to indicate body and glass centre is handy as well. If it's not on centre it won't move afterwards...and don't try it. Also an old Windex bottle of soapy water to help keep the rubber slippery comes in handy. I installed the front and rear glass on my Super by myself and it went ok. Just take your time and don't rush.

Fabio

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,079
Fabio yes you definitely should do another project ....especially a floor pedal GT! I did take my time on the rear glass......but I took the most difficult route without a doubt! Serves me right for not doing a little research on the AlfaBB before starting it! On the front windscreen I will be following the method you and others have outlined....oh yes.

1061 - 1080 of 1595 Posts